Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

I understand waiting 90 days after getting Covid to get the vaccine. But what if you get Covid between shots 1 & 2? Do you follow Pfizer/Moderna’s normal guidelines, or go with the 90 days? Wonder if Pfizer/Moderna have addressed this.

I miss reading the news and information on this thread. Why so quiet with all that’s going on?

2 Likes

Vaccine proving is efficiency.

6 Likes

me too. This thread was my one I want to check daily for updates.

1 Like

Seems that some strains are causing concern (B.1.1.7 “UK” and B.1.351 “South Africa”). Here is some information on them:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/scientific-brief-emerging-variants.html

Moderna’s statement on its vaccine versus these strains:

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-covid-19-vaccine-retains-neutralizing-activity-against

1 Like

Another promising vaccine trial (unfortunately the US trial isn’t due for another couple of months, this was the U.K.)

2 Likes

I was just going to post the press release. Such promising news.
https://ir.novavax.com/news-releases/news-release-details/novavax-covid-19-vaccine-demonstrates-893-efficacy-uk-phase-3

3 Likes

Another new strain of concern, B.1.426 “California”:

This strain rose to prominence during the winter holiday season.

1 Like

JNJ vaccine results are out. Not as effective as the MRNA products, but having this vaccine would help get more people vaccinated faster.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/29/health/johnson-coronavirus-vaccine-results/index.html

3 Likes

@deb922 someone I follow on twitter (who is in the U.S.) said she is currently in a trial for Novavax…

Whoops, editing because I misread/misunderstood your post and thought you were saying there wasn’t a U.S. trial underway.

Obviously need more coffee!

1 Like

Hopefully Novavax US results will be as good as the UK’s, they are expected to be announced in Feb AFAIK

3 Likes

Not that I know of…I am not sure if they were testing for asymptomatic infection in the trials which is one way to capture that data.

Yes!

2 Likes

Thank you. So then they have to do another trial?

Yes, the variant boosters require new trials, but they would be relatively abbreviated.

If you’re asking about trials to see if the vaccines decrease transmission, I’m not sure if that is on the table or not.

No I was not asking about trials to decrease transmission just effectiveness but as 2021 parent, very eager for transmission info.

2 Likes

I hear you. Everyone is closely watching what happens in the real world, especially Israel who is vaccinating people quickly. If the numbers decrease dramatically there, that will be anecdotal evidence that vaccinated people might not be spreading virus. Time will tell, but maybe not quickly enough for fall 2021

1 Like

I know I heard on CNBC a while back that Moderna was going to have an answer to the question about asymptomatic transmission sometime in early February. I did not hear an explanation as to how they will derive that answer, just that they would be able to tell us (definitively) if it is indeed sterilizing or not. I have not heard an update on that. I do feel like most of the experts I admire seem to already feel like the evidence points to the vaccines at least being largely sterilizing, so I am hopeful about that aspect.

Just feeling crushed about the lower effectiveness against the South African variant at the moment. I’m sure I’ll regain my optimism. It helps me to scour all the daily case and hospitalization graphs and watch them continue to plummet ;-), because otherwise I’d be in a real funk. :joy:.

By the way, as an aside, I know there is a terrible and very wrong myth going around that the vaccines cause infertility. In fact, my state’s health director addressed it in our weekly press conference, because this is a widespread myth and it is really increasing vaccine hesitancy which is awful. Apparently a lot of younger healthcare workers opted out of vaccine due to this unfounded concern. I am now wondering if the origin of this crazy myth is because maybe people heard them talk about “sterilizing vaccines”???

3 Likes

I wonder if that’s how this started?! I have heard of many young women also not taking the MRNA vaccines because of infertility concerns, but ACOG says they should get them, even if they are actively trying to become pregnant…when in doubt listen to the experts.

This week there was a claim that covid (the disease, not the vaccine) impairs male fertility. Certainly too early to know for sure, but maybe this will spur more men to get the vaccine!

Yes, has anyone seen information on natural protection from one variant to the next? I mean if you had 2020 Plain Jane covid, are you probably protected from South African covid variant, and vice versa?

1 Like

Yes, you can be reinfected by the new variants if you had the original strain Covid-19, although your own natural antibodies may provide some protection.

There are some concerns about people becoming more vulnerable to reinfection with the new variants. In lab experiments, one of the mutations present in the variants identified in South Africa and Brazil, called E484K, has helped the virus evade the antibodies generated after an initial infection in some people.

On Monday, [scientists in South Africa [reported] that antibodies from some people infected during the country’s first wave failed to recognize the newer variant spreading there now… Separately, in Brazil, surging cases in a region that had already been hit hard by the virus raised worries that a different variant, called P.1, is able to sneak past existing protection and infect people again.

See the original report–https://www.nicd.ac.za/can-i-be-re-infected-with-the-new-variant-if-ive-had-covid-19/

1 Like