Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

1 Like

The answer to the title question of https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/29/health/Covid-vaccine-explainer.html is:

I.e. get whatever is available to you earliest.

6 Likes

Not behind a paywall

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/02/01/vaccinated-people-precautions/

In terms of “What can I safely do?”, a private gathering in a private location where all people have been vaccinated should be reasonably safe for those participating.

Though in the article, it seems odd that the wildlife photographer has not been going out beyond his back yard. Wildlife photography is generally done outdoors where there are very few or no other people (i.e. easy to keep distance), so it should not be much of a risk to oneself or others unless trying to photograph a bat cave.

1 Like

I know, I agree!

My mom is so excited to get her bridge foursome together once they have all received the vaccine and waited a couple of weeks

4 Likes

We are selling it wrong. What we should be saying is that the vaccine is 100% effective against death from COVID 19. Because it is.

6 Likes

I have seen more of that language recently since people seem to be asking which vaccine they should get. Lots of doctors in the media are saying take whichever one you can get first. They all protect again the worst cases of t he virus.

3 Likes

I have been spending so much time talking to my patients in the clinic about the vaccines. I urge them to get to get vaccinated “My brother died from Covid 2 months ago but I am scared of the side effects from the vaccines” That is what I am up against all day.

5 Likes

The nobody who has had the vaccine has died side effect of the vaccine? As opposed to any of the side effects of Covid? I just don’t get it.

1 Like

Agree with you! Just an excuse they tell themselves . Boy I need to tape record my speech/advice. It is getting exhausting and my face is turning blue.

8 Likes

Some older and fragile people may have died from the side effects of the vaccine. Norway had a recent story on it if I recall correctly. They’re debating if it’s worth it for the very old and fragile. For them, the side effects could be too much. For anyone else? Not the case.

It caused us to pause and contemplate the vaccine for FIL, but he’s not really fragile even though he’s 92. Still, it’s hit choice and I want him to have as much info as is out there.

1 Like

Norway has determined that the deaths weren’t related to the vaccines.

3 Likes

Good to know, thanks. I’m not as up on the news when I’m not at home.

Can you provide an updated link? I just tried google and found this one, but it still says the deaths, while not caused directly by the vaccine, may have been enhanced by the side effects and they are recommending those who are very frail not get it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-26/norway-may-refine-vaccine-strategy-after-elderly-deaths-pm-says

“We don’t believe there’s any problem with the safety of the vaccines,” Solberg said in an interview with Bloomberg Live that aired on Tuesday. “But we will maybe not give them to the most vulnerable of the elderly, because that might speed up a process where they were what we would say at the end of life phase anyway,” so, “that probably is not what we will continue to do.”

1 Like

My understanding is similar. The people who died were so frail that they likely died of natural cause. However, the reactions to the vaccines may have sped up the process.

There have been deaths among the same age group in many other countries too, besides Norway, but none of them has found the mortality rate among this group to be higher due to vaccination than their usual rates.

2 Likes

The CVS pharmacies in my Texas town will start administering the vaccine Feb 11th. So excited!

6 Likes

We won’t be shopping at Kroger again. We don’t have them around our house, but they were our go to grocery store around FIL and when we travel in their areas. However, any company that can make as much as they have and be so stingy with their front line workers during Covid really doesn’t need our money.

The older I get, the more I care where my money goes and the more I try to support the average person over those who are already wealthy - esp when they are making that wealth off the little guy, in this case, even when it puts them at high risk. A multi-billion dollar company can absorb some losses to help out if need be without blinking an eye.

" Kroger has tallied record earnings as the pandemic has encouraged more Americans to at home, boosting food and other grocery sales. The company recorded more than $2.9 billion in operating profits through the third quarter of 2020, taking in an extra $1.2 billion in earnings compared with a year earlier.

Kroger is redirecting some of that money to investors, with a $1 billion in stock repurchase announced in September. On Friday, the company announced a $147 million dividend payment and said it expects to increase its dividend over time."

3 Likes

Here’s the latest from the NYT if folks don’t get it themselves:

• AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford released data showing that none of the 12,408 people who had received a vaccine shot died from Covid symptoms or were hospitalized with them. That’s consistent with earlier results for that vaccine, as well as initial results for four other vaccines — from Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, Novavax and Pfizer.
  • Researchers found that the AstraZeneca vaccine also slows the transmission of the virus, underscoring the importance of mass vaccination as a path out of the pandemic.
  • A peer-reviewed study published in The Lancet, a British medical journal, found that Russia’s vaccine, known as Sputnik V, also offered complete protection against serious Covid illnesses. Dr. Angela Rasmussen of Georgetown University called it “great news” and added, “We need more vaccines globally.” (Related: The New Yorker’s Joshua Yaffa and The Times’s Andrew Kramer, who are both based in Moscow, have written about why they got the Sputnik vaccine.)
  • An important caveat: The vaccines’ protection doesn’t kick in immediately. It often takes at least a couple of weeks.
  • The British government said that a variant of the virus first observed there had the potential to make the vaccines less effective. But that’s less alarming than it may sound. For now, the concern is hypothetical: No data shows the vaccines to be ineffective on the British variant. Even if they are less effective, other evidence suggests that modest levels of vaccine protection may almost always be enough to downgrade Covid to an ordinary flu.
  • “Lately, when I talk to reporters, they expect me to be very worried about Covid variants. But I’m not,” Dr. Ellie Murray of the Boston University School of Public Health wrote on Twitter. “Why? Because we know what works to control Covid.” She is more worried about “the lack of action” to promote social distancing, encourage mask wearing and accelerate vaccination, she added.
4 Likes

JNJ files for EUA approval for its vaccine. Could be on the market in 2-3 weeks:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/04/health/johnson-and-johnson-ask-fda-eua/index.html

5 Likes

I just overheard a conversation where one couple was telling some others around them, “We were right with her when they were taking her to the emergency room for Coronavirus and somehow we never caught it. 
 We had the antibody test and it was negative. 
 I’m pretty sure we’re immune.”

I wanted to jump in and explain, no, you aren’t immune. When one is at the stage of being taken to the ER they usually aren’t very contagious anymore because their bodies have actually overcome Covid at that point. It’s their own body’s overreaction that is killing them. People are most contagious a day or two before symptoms through about three days after symptoms appear when most just blame it on a cold or allergies, often because they don’t want to think they have it (or truly don’t think they have it). The first week of Covid is rarely deadly without significant other issues at play. If it comes on strong the second week, then there’s huge concern - but again - not really Covid at that point other than it being the body’s reaction to having Covid.

But I didn’t interject to say anything IRL. I don’t know those people. No one was masked and I wasn’t sure how open they were to learning from a stranger.

So I’m typing it here in case anyone looking could use the info.

I’ll also add that I don’t recommend being close to someone with Covid at any active stage of the disease because I’m relating what is usual. I’m not sure if it’s 100% (and I’m not sure anyone knows if it’s 100% vs usual). But don’t think one is immune because of something like that. It’s a fallacy.

FWIW, there also seem to be a significant portion of people who don’t spread it. They’re not sure why. Others are superspreaders. The take away should be one isn’t immune merely because they had contact.

6 Likes