Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

speaking of Israel, since they are the ones with the most data.

8 Likes

Medical guidelines from the government, I don’t trust, because, quite frankly, they can’t be trusted. If the government mandated quarantines and masks were so effective, why aren’t they working? It’s been 10 months. Sorry
I’m not going to quarantine for 2 weeks AFTER getting vaccinated. The CDC can stuff it.

Most likely they “aren’t working” because too many people are non-compliant. People walking around with their infected noses exposed aren’t helping, people wearing masks to the store but continuing to get together with friends or families outside of their households aren’t helping, people wearing masks into indoor restaurants, then taking them off to eat and drink (of course must be done to eat or drink) aren’t helping, young people not wearing masks and going to home to their mask wearing parents’ houses aren’t helping, etc. If EVERYONE were mask compliant, we would be seeing far different results. Just look at the difference between our results and countries whose citizens are compliant with all of these guidelines. It’s very striking.

19 Likes

Maybe because of policies like this, at a music venue in Tennessee?

Pretty much everywhere we go we see people either not wearing masks or not wearing them properly. It doesn’t matter if there’s a mask mandate or not. They ruin it for everyone.

We only go to grocery stores, occasional hardware store, gas, and for take out food. If they can’t wear it properly in those places, I doubt they’re wearing it properly anywhere else.

Of course, since the virus spread is an external effect (i.e. an imposition of risk onto others), and many people may spread the virus unknowingly, and masks do more to protect others than oneself, it is not surprising that many people thinking only of themselves are unwilling to consider external effects and mitigating them by wearing masks when around other people. The policy shown a few posts above is an example of disregard of external effects.

But it is not just about masks. Some people who think that it is unsafe to be near strangers who may breathe virus on them at the grocery store do not see an equivalent risk to themselves and their relatives when they visit their relatives indoors. The virus exploits these trust relationships, as can be seen in the December surge of infections.

1 Like

Oregon reported 4 cases of Covid infections after vaccination.

In all 4 cases, the patients were either asymptomatic or had mild symptoms

2 Likes

Well, that’s exactly what I was hoping to hear. “In all 4 cases, the patients were either asymptomatic or had mild symptoms.” Turning a potentially deadly disease into a mild cold is a victory in my opinion.

20 Likes

Absolutely 100%, that’s what I’m saying to people!

3 Likes

My concerns and questions about vaccines and future scenarios (I posted this as a comment to a local newspaper article):

Noone knows how long the vaccine’s effect lasts. So by the time everyone is vaccinated in late summer, is it possible the earlier vaccines done now will have worn off? And will the supply of boosters, which presumably will also target variants, be adequate for everyone to have?

What about the interval between identification of mutations and the development and distribution of vaccines? Won’t there be further mutations and variants to deal with. How will shots keep up with the biology?

The people who refuse vaccines will not only impede herd immunity but may serve as reservoirs for further mutations.

Will those getting vaccines now be at a disadvantage later if vaccines are tweaked for people getting them later?

Take a look at this promising research on gut bacteria vs severe Covid:

https://www.bluezones.com/2021/02/a-healthy-gut-microbiome-could-help-prevent-severe-covid-19

1 Like

I spoke to a friend yesterday who had COVID a few weeks ago. Sounds like it was pretty mild. He took that unproven horse drug while he had it. I don’t know how common this is, but when I googled it seems like something people are doing. I personally think this is an insane thing to do.

It’s definitely interesting that on one extreme people are distrustful of fairly proven science and at the other extreme folks are willing to take something they know nothing about because of something they heard from someone (anyone) that might be effective.

It’s even more interesting when the two extremes are seen in the same human. In those cases one has to wonder how our species survives, but I guess that’s because not everyone falls into this group.

ETA I wonder if the horse/animal wormer (Ivermectin) had been advanced and advocated by science if people would have been willing to take it! Perhaps the key to getting some folks vaccinated is to pretend it’s under the official radar and it’s only known as being helpful by the non-science masses?

5 Likes

Are they still in need of plasma donations from those who have had Covid?

If so, where does one find reputable donation centers?

Does getting a vaccination, negate the ability to donate?

Or have there been so many cases now, that finding donors is no longer a problem?

Last I knew, giving people plasma wasn’t deemed effective so they may have stopped it. I haven’t paid attention since reading that at least a couple of months ago. Perhaps it is still being tried.

1 Like

As if lung, brain, kidney, blood vessel, and whatever else I’m overlooking isn’t enough for survivors to worry about continuing to deal with, it looks like some folks could have eye problems too - fortunately a smaller percentage, but still

This has me wondering if we’re starting to get stats (quasi stats anyway) for other co-morbidities. Has anyone been watching for those? I also wonder if they can make progress on seeing if gut biomes correlate with those who don’t do well. It would be good to start putting some research things together to work on the puzzle.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Does COVID-19 survivors’ blood plasma prevent severe illness? Can it combat new variants?

2 Likes

Although neither my brother nor his daughter seem to have any long term eye related effects they both had achy eyes as one of their Covid symptoms.

Well, according to the article, this particular effect (eyes) is being attributed to laying in the prone position—the people were in the ICU and laying supine for a length of time that effects the blood vessels; they aren’t literally linking it to covid per-se. Bad things happen to people when they are hospitalized for lengthy amounts of time, for sure, and this appears to be one. It would be wrong for someone to see this headline and think that covid patients specifically have eye issues, whether they are asymptomatic, or symptomatic but not in the ICU, etc. This is an effect of lying supine regardless of why you are lying supine (ICU-severe-level covid is one reason you can be supine like that). By the way, I read it quickly and I think it referred to both prone and supine; maybe it’s just being horizontal either up or down; if you are interested in this distinction go read it more than closely I did ;-). I’m not saying that there couldn’t also be covid-caused eye issues such as mathmom mentioned achy eyes; but this article is attributing these nodules to the experience of extended time lying down.

1 Like