Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

Prone position is lying face down (supine position is face up, the opposite of prone) and is being linked to some eye issues, as some hospitalized covid patients are put in the prone position for extended periods. Here is another study:

2 Likes

And the reason the severe folks were laying down was to save their lives due to Covid - hence this is severe case Covid related. No Covid - no laying down excessively - no eye issues.

I agree the headline could/should have said severe cases, but the line right underneath did - and as you mentioned - it only took reading the article to see what they were talking about. If one solely scans headlines and reads nothing else, there’s a lot they’re missing in the news on all topics.

I plead guilty to not reading that article!

At least the severe Covid part was in the post I posted so one didn’t have to read it in the article, but in general, I suppose I can describe articles more instead of assuming interested folks can click on them.

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to be pedantic. I just think the headlines from that article might imply to many readers that covid itself–the virus–causes eye abnormalities, when it’s not covid, it’s the state of lying prone for a prolonged time that causes the nodules, which is a big distinction. At least to me, who gets anxious sometimes when I read a list of all possible covid effects, and it’s very important for me to put them in perspective (research the numbers of people who actually experience things and divide by the 100+ million of confirmed cases, etc).
I mean the NYTimes had an article the other day that sounded so alarming and they had it on the front page,
“# Covid-Linked Syndrome in Children Is Growing, and Cases Are More Severe”. 30 children have died from it in the US since the pandemic began, and that’s terrible. But if you are a parent and read that, it could really, really freak you out. But the same parents might not realized that almost 700 children under 17 years old died from flu in 2017-2018 in the US, and they were probably perfectly calm that winter. I wish more articles would provide more context so we wouldn’t have to search. Less sensationalist headlines would be a start. The truth is bad enough!! Not that these are actual lies, but I can feel manipulated sometimes after reading certain things. I jus t wanted to make sure that readers understood the distinction, that laying prone for prolonged time periods is the root causes of the eye problem. Thanks for sharing the article; it is interesting to stay on top of all of this!!

6 Likes

For those interested in knowing if people who have already had Covid need one shot or two, this article has studies in it suggesting just one:

3 Likes

In a small survey of recovered COVID-19 patients mostly about 6 months after recovery, about 30% reported persistent symptoms. “Among participants with COVID-19, persistent symptoms were reported by 17 of 64 patients (26.6%) aged 18 to 39 years, 25 of 83 patients (30.1%) aged 40 to 64 years, and 13 of 30 patients (43.3%) aged 65 years and older.”

The most common persistent symptoms were fatigue and loss of taste or smell.

2 Likes

This Israeli study shows roughly 50% of those with mild symptoms have long lasting symptoms. I guess my son’s situation isn’t all that rare now that they are looking for numbers. It still makes me wonder what their futures hold when they get older if their bodies only adjust and don’t really recover. My guy can do all the basics and look like normal now, but when we tried to walk three miles (flat terrain) he pulled out after two telling us he was starting to feel it in his chest and knew what it would be like if he pushed it. He had work later, so couldn’t be fatigued. Pre-Covid going 5 miles including hills wouldn’t have been out of the ordinary.

In case folks don’t read the article, the numbers are actually 46% and the headline rounded up to 50%. It’s also a small study using self reporting via phone calls 4 times post Covid - all non-hospitalized folks with mild or moderate symptoms.

2 Likes

A new, real-world Israeli study shows the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is almost 90% effective at stopping COVID-19 transmission (not just symptoms)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-21/pfizer-biontech-shot-stops-covid-s-spread-israeli-study-shows

11 Likes

Why Opening Windows Is a Key to Reopening Schools
The C.D.C. is urging communities to reopen schools as quickly as possible, but parents and teachers have raised questions about the quality of ventilation available in public school classrooms to protect against the coronavirus.

3D illustrations. Really interesting!

1 Like
2 Likes

Yet the CDC and many states do not prioritize type 1 diabetes, only type 2. @Creekland that article doesn’t even mention that there are two types of diabetes, and the generic “diabetes” means type 2.

Type 1’s are 5% of the population with diabetes and are misunderstood, and forgotten. Usually that is difficult but in this case the ignorance might be life-threatening since the CDC doesn’t recognize it.

If vaccines (especially J and J) prevent moderate to severe illness, or hospitalization and death, what does that mean in terms of mild illness and Long Covid. Are vaccinated folks still vulnerable to long term effects?

@Creekland
I posted this on another thread but I will post it here too. I haven’t read all the updates about your son so I apologize if I mention things you have already considered. This one has more details.

She suffers from constant pain in her lungs, sometimes quite sharp. She also feels pressure in her chest.

My daughter got sick last March, roughly the same time as your son. She is long haul too.

She went for a lung function test. The results came yesterday. One of the results was her lungs were functioning at 40% for diffusion.

There were other numbers and tests that I don’t yet understand but the pulmonologist said she needs to be evaluated for pulmonary hypertension and pulmonary vascular disorders.

We don’t know what the next steps will be. She is hoping to have a meeting with her primary care provider this week.

4 Likes

I wish the news were better for you/her. Sending my best wishes as I know it’s frustrating. My guy has health insurance now, so on our next talk I will suggest getting it looked at.

1 Like

My state doesn’t do a lot of things well, but I did notice a few weeks ago that they had added type 1 diabetes to the 1b category. Better late than never I guess, but that delay may have been costly for some.

Colorado included type 1 diabetes, but also required 2 conditions on the list to qualify to be in group 1b3. Many with type 2 diabetes also are obese, or have heart conditions so qualified. I’m not sure as many type 1’s would have another condition on the list.

If only one condition, I think they are in the next group, 1b4, which starts on March 21, only 16 days later. It is also self reporting, so anyone can say they have 2 conditions (no doctor confirmation required). If they get the J&J after March 21, they’d be ‘immune’ before the earlier group that received Moderna; I got Moderna on March 5 (first day for me group), have to wait until April 2 for second shot, and then wait 14 days to be fully immune. My friend got J&J on March 6 and will be set to go before I even get my second shot.

1 Like

Seems like all these complicated and differing groupings will be out the window within the next six weeks under the Presidents plan.

7 Likes

I wonder if this is common with newly-developed vaccines? And did this also occur with Moderna? https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/91590?xid=nl_covidupdate_2021-03-12&eun=g1535837d0r&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DailyUpdate_031221&utm_term=NL_Gen_Int_Daily_News_Update_active&fbclid=IwAR2YzT-Fj7YlLQ-cYcomLqr9hXJczgXoPpCGzXeWF8wLBwwgivVdLvUIi6s

2 Likes

Page suggests that it may be related to the fragility of mRNA.