Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

Not yet peer reviewed.

Results SARS-CoV-2-naïve vaccinees had a 13.06-fold (95% CI, 8.08 to 21.11) increased risk for breakthrough infection with the Delta variant compared to those previously infected, when the first event (infection or vaccination) occurred during January and February of 2021. The increased risk was significant (P <0.001) for symptomatic disease as well. When allowing the infection to occur at any time before vaccination (from March 2020 to February 2021), evidence of waning natural immunity was demonstrated, though SARS-CoV-2 naïve vaccinees had a 5.96-fold (95% CI, 4.85 to 7.33) increased risk for breakthrough infection and a 7.13-fold (95% CI, 5.51 to 9.21) increased risk for symptomatic disease. SARS-CoV-2-naïve vaccinees were also at a greater risk for COVID-19-related-hospitalizations compared to those that were previously infected.

Conclusions This study demonstrated that natural immunity confers longer lasting and stronger protection against infection, symptomatic disease and hospitalization caused by the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2, compared to the BNT162b2 two-dose vaccine-induced immunity. Individuals who were both previously infected with SARS-CoV-2 and given a single dose of the vaccine gained additional protection against the Delta variant.

Saw this on the other thread (you posted it first, but my order of reading differed). It’s info that can be good to know as long as folks don’t take it further to say everyone is better off getting Covid for better immunity. This study doesn’t include all those that died from their cases in that group. In the vaxed group, some who got breakthrough infections, esp bad ones, might not have survived without their vaccines.

If everyone who caught it survived without long term issues, Covid would have been a yawn event. As it is in reality, hospitals are overrun and way too many are gone before their time, including at least one (probably more) who died simply because there wasn’t room for them in the hospital.

1 Like

I agree! But I do wonder if the study results will be taken into consideration when discussing how people are categorized as far whether they are vaxxed vs. unvaxxed because it seems had Covid but unvaxxed should be a category as well, particularly in connection with infection and transmission since it now appears that vaxxed individuals can become infected and transmit the disease.

The study also provides evidence that those that had Covid should also get the vaccine as it confers even more protection.

2 Likes

To me, CDC’s purposeful omission on this is unexcusable.

1 Like

New studies point to that we need a booster shot if we had our second shot six mo. ago, at least for older people.

One issue I saw with that study ( I read the full study as presented in the BMJ) is that it only included statistics based upon results after the first dose only of the Pfizer vaccine. It would have been much more meaningful to have included results based upon those who had received both doses as this would offer better real world comparisons for those who may still be on the fence about getting this vaccine. Maybe there is a follow-up in the works.

2 Likes

In the NY Times morning newsletter today (I’m not sure how to link to it), it discussed whether vaccine immunity is waning much and booster shots will do much to improve immunity:

9 Likes

Interesting read; thank you for sharing. As the NYT newsletters are subscription only, could you at least post the name of the author (for those that might want to search his/her background and potential biases?)

David Leonhardt, who is a NYTimes journalist and columnist.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this, @1NJParent. I was about to do the same. David Leonhardt was the founder of The Upshot, a Times feature that surveys an area of concern in the news and summarizes. His daily newsletter is excellent.

Here’s a link (subject I am sure to the Times’s paywall):

The original quoted story came from the NYT “The Morning” Newsletter which is non-subscription. You can sign up here:

NYT Newsletters

The newsletter is daily and I find them to be pretty pragmatic.

1 Like

Seems similar to what I posted in the booster thread a while ago, in that increased breakthroughs could be due to:

1. Delta higher viral loads.
  2. Vaccine induced antibodies being less well matched to Delta.
  3. Earlier vaccine recipients being higher exposure (health care workers) or more vulnerable (older age).
  4. Waning immunity.

Everyone seems to be assuming that 4 is the main reason and that boosters with current vaccines will make a big difference. But they may be disappointed if other factors are the main reason(s).

A booster specific to Delta would help with 2.

3 Likes

The J&J booster antibody study is now on medRxiv:

I get that NYT daily info too. Normally I don’t forward that kind of stuff to my husband (he is part of the family subscription, just does not get the daily emails). But that article seemed useful reading. We are doing US flight/travels to see family next week, and although I’ve been nervous about that perhaps it is good to go now while vaccines stronger than they will be down the road.

I actually find you list more thorough than the article. Many of those vaccinated in January or February were the very elderly and their vaccine response may not have been strong in the first place.

1 Like

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

This is not good news with so much covid vaccine data still to be reviewed re: boosters, 5-11 years olds, <5 year olds. Not to mention the guidance they give to the manufacturers regarding study design and manufacturing.

Marion Gruber, director of the FDA’s Office of Vaccines Research & Review and 32-year veteran of the agency, will leave at the end of October, and OVRR deputy director Phil Krause, who’s been at FDA for more than a decade, will leave in November. The news, first reported by BioCentury, is a massive blow to confidence in the agency’s ability to regulate vaccines.

The bombshell announcement comes at a particularly crucial moment, as boosters and children’s shots are being weighed by the regulator. The departures also come as the administration has recently jumped ahead of the FDA’s reviews of booster shots, announcing that they might be available by the week of Sept. 20.

3 Likes

So disappointing! And I’d love to know the real story behind their departures.

5 Likes

I listened to the part of the ACIP meeting yesterday on booster doses. Very interesting. It didn’t sound as if the boosters would start being offered on September 20, as was previously announced.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-29/white-house-rushes-to-booster-doses-as-cdc-advisers-bide-time