Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

Delete

Someone else can flag that if they feel it’s too political and inaccurate, but that claim was long ago debunked. Yet another example of ones “own research.”

Reuters is as nonpartisan as it gets:

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSL1N2PH1CD

8 Likes

Yes. Science knows that now. But it didn’t know it then - the summer of 2020. If it did the beaches would have been open, the playgrounds and hiking paths would have been open. But they WEREN’T because at that time science was telling us outdoor transmission was a problem

Or, if science knew in the summer of 2020 that it wasn’t a problem
then it ignored itself because all the above mentioned areas remained closed throughout the summer.

In quote makes it political
not me. ‘This should not be confused with a permissive stance on all gatherings, particularly protests against stay-home orders.’ So, SOME outdoor gatherings of large numbers of people were okay
others clearly not.

5 Likes

I enjoy this conversation. Usually

I’m really not interested in debating the past. And mistakes made in the past when we didn’t know what we didn’t know.

I feel that this conversation has gone sideways and a couple of posters are arguing about the same old stuff.

I’m aware that we can have opposing points of view. But can we move on.

11 Likes

I was asked a question and I answered. This is the stopping point for me

“ Health officials let COVID-infected nurses and healthcare workers keep working “

1 Like

It was known in the summer of 2020. I’ll end this there though. We’re drifting into debate, forbidden by the TOS. Be well.

2 Likes

I found a couple of articles regarding modeling in the pandemic. The first is older but gives an interesting view of the whole process (the last statement about testing is telling) and the second comes from Ioannides of Stanford who has been a critic of the pandemic response at least around here, and has made some pretty silly predictions himself (which he addressed). I’m always arguing amicably with the modelers in our lab about the assumptions they base their models on so this is a topic that greatly interests me.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01003-6

There are others but I’m out of time now.

One company data point that sounds promising:

6 Likes

Clinics in the Twin Cities are closing intermittently due to staff shortages. There is plenty of demand, just not the nurses/docs/technicians, etc
 It’s frustrating for companies that are trying to make make some of the money back that they lost in the past two years.

Yes, closing our local beaches just defied common sense not to mention Virology 101 (which I actually took back in teh dark ages).

6 Likes

I, nor anyone I have ever spoken to, believes migrants were bringing it here???

The question is why the mandates and the travel restrictions if we are just letting in thousands a people a day who are not vaccinated.

2 Likes

Ditto. And no major issue in life is going to have been handled perfectly regardless of what was known or not.

Humans are humans. Not one of us is perfect. We were (still are) dealing with something new and people were making their best guesses based upon a relatively little bit of information. Some people were going to guess correctly and others weren’t. The same people didn’t always guess right either (or, perhaps, wrong - though there’s a bigger case for some of that). In the military, in school, and even in my family we “debrief” major situations afterward (not limited to Covid), looking for what was right/wrong/could be improved.

Then the key is learning from our experience, not dwelling on the past being incredibly nitpicky with “I told you so’s” presuming the armchair quarterback is superior.

In the here and now - keep watching data, knowing we know more about Covid, but are nowhere near knowing it all. Watch the source of the “data.” My auto mechanic knows more about my car than folks in other professions - regardless of how “matter of fact” they seem to be in their presentation.

And be kind to one another.

2 Likes

I wonder if what some of these countries are doing/going to do would help hospitals. All quotes are from the article linked:

Quebec, which has seen the highest number of Covid-related deaths in Canada, is currently struggling with a surge in cases.

On Tuesday, the premier announced that it would be the first in the nation to financially penalise the unvaccinated.

Only about 12.8% of Quebec residents are not vaccinated, but they make up nearly half of all hospital cases.

According to federal data, just over 85% of Quebec residents had received at least one vaccine dose by 1 January.

Premier Francois Legault said during a news conference that people who have not received their first dose of vaccine will have to pay a “contribution”.

The fee has not yet been decided, but will be “significant”, he said.

“I think right now it’s a question of fairness for the 90% of the population who made some sacrifices,” Mr Legault said. “I think we owe them this kind of measure.”

Last week, the province announced that it would require proof of vaccination to shop in government cannabis and liquor stores.

While rare, Quebec is not the only region in the world seeking to impose a financial penalty on those unwilling to get jabbed.

Starting later this month, Greeks over age 60 are being required to pay a €100 (£85; C$142; $113) fine for each month that they remain unvaccinated.

Singapore has required Covid patients to pay for their own medical bills if they are not vaccinated.

4 Likes

I started swabbing both nasal and throat swabs on everyone, it has helped a lot. This first day we were evaluations and doing separately on some people; several people were negative with biofire and IdNow nasal, But the throat swab popped + right away, So now a swab of each and mix in same medium to not waste cartridges :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All of our providers except one are positive (we are keeping her in well clinic to take care of or obs, etc
 ) and much of our staff os home with it. I am on day 5 of working in 10 hour a day sick clinic seeing 40-50 pts with Covid myself. We let them know when schedule that I am +. We a very rural small town there is no other facility near to help. So we get out of bed, load on PPE and push through, no other choice in isolated areas,

I can’t even image what you and your colleagues are going through. You all are amazing.

3 Likes

Good to know! Thanks for the feedback.
Please take care of yourself. Thank you for all that you are doing.

My daughter gave birth last night. Hospital within spitting distance of Silicon Valley. Here is her exact text.

'Over half the staff is out with covid. They’re not even testing the remaining staff anymore because they don’t want to know apparently. Our nurse has been working 16 hour shifts with 8 hours off between for days now. They also have major supply issues. For example, lidocaine. The suppliers are sending random off brands. They’re so low of stuff they have to try the off brand before they can use the brand name. ’

1 Like

I mentioned last fall about the dire need for blood products.
The Red Cross likes to have a 3-day supply on hand, now they are down to less than 1. I know some hospitals who have instituted strict guidelines, giving only half of whatever is requested, and perhaps even less than that. The Red Cross is partnering with the NFL to try to get the message out for the need for increased donations.