Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

There is a whole list of possible side effects. H mostly just concerned about going about daily life - working out, playing tennis, helping his mom out with chores. Can’t get accidentally injured in any way. Dangerous for that to happen while taking blood thinners.

I have a relative who had similar issue as your husband- very active, fit healthy guy and was told no horse back riding, skiing for 6 months- but those were regular activities for him. Male, early 60’s- had covid before vaccines available.He seems fine now and back to regular activities.

4 Likes

Fascinating:

South African scientist thinks she may have solved the mystery of long COVID-19, which afflicts 100M people | TheHill

“A recent study in my lab revealed that there is significant microclot formation in the blood of both acute COVID-19 and long COVID patients,” Resia Pretorius, head of the science department at Stellenbosch University in South Africa, wrote Wednesday in an op-ed.

Pretorius writes that healthy bodies are typically able to efficiently break down blood clots through a process called fibrinolysis. But, when looking at blood from long COVID-19 patients, “persistent microclots are resistant to the body’s own fibrinolytic processes.”

Pretorius’ team in an analysis over the summer found high levels of inflammatory molecules “trapped” in the persistent microclots observed in long COVID-19 patients, which may be preventing the breakdown of clots.

I did no more than skim this article, didn’t go hunt down the “analysis”, but I’m very interested to see if this line of research pans out.

5 Likes

This is very interesting.

My D24 has long covid (parosmia). During her well check a few weeks ago, she was found to have elevated BP. We’ve had bloodwork to rule out thyroid/kidney issues and so far the cause is just unknown. I have been wondering if it is somehow related to her covid infection.

in regards to bloodclots.

I wonder whether “microclots” is something they can check for. I was in a meeting yesterday where someone made an offhand comment about long COVID probably being psychosomatic - ugh! Seems like having a clear physical indicator of the issue could really make such a difference for people - not to mention that it would open up avenues for research of treatments. I hope your daughter recovers from her long COVID symptoms.

1 Like

This is an article from an electrical engineering magazine. The article is not overly technical so there is not a lot of meat in it, but it is an interesting glimpse into some of the other long COVID research going on.

1 Like

Need some way to look up this in medical references. Area high omnicron and high mask use, vax rates good.
Toddler GD (goes to daycare daily) gets on Saturday a runny nose and cough but looks normal no fever, and is kept home and then tested at home.
Did Binax test at home. Negative on Binax antigen Monday, then positive (faint line) on Binax antigen Tuesday. Then PCR at the University with the tech doing the test was negative on Wednesday.

Every adult is triple vaxed. Mom ( Wednesday PCR) and Dad (Friday PCR) and H (5 days after exposure did Friday PCR) and mine (5 days after exposure did Friday PCR) results pending.

In other words, you mean this timeline (with today as day 7)?

Day Toddler Mother Father Grandmother Grandfather
0 Symptoms Contact Contact
1 Contact Contact
2 Tested (- rapid)
3 Tested (+ rapid)
4 Tested (- PCR)
5 Tested (? PCR)
6 Tested (? PCR) Tested (? PCR) Tested (? PCR)

Assumed: Toddler, Mother, Father in contact with each other daily. Grandmother and Grandfather contact with Toddler, Mother, Father as listed.

2 Likes

grandparent male and grandparent female both tested PCR pending, first contact Saturday, last contact Sunday

Edited table above.

1 Like

Maybe this will eventually need it’s own thread…but for now…question on the insurance covered home tests…

I just ordered 5 FLowFLex at home COVID tests from Costco - that’s one box containing 5 test.

Here’s what’s weird. I was not charged tax at checkout. All the other times I’ve purchased home tests (Walmart online, CVS,Walgreens in store) I was charged sales tax.

Has this changed with the new provision for 8 free test/pp for the privately insured?

Positive is positive. With the caveat that the test must have been read at the 15 or 15-30 minute window (whatever the test says is the time window). If you read it anytime afterwards, it’s called an evaporation line, which is not a positive result. Think of it as the reagents in the test that dry up - that produces the line. Once the window is closed, don’t do back and read it - toss it in the trash.

6 Likes

I’m not following what the question is. Are you asking if the positive is real? As @TexasTiger2 said, unless you waited too long to read the result, the answer is almost certainly yes.

3 Likes

Yes, I guess I’m perplexed how the antigen could be positive (Tuesday) and the PCR is negative on (Wednesday). I clearly need to understand these tests better. I thought the antigen was not as sensitive as the PCR. I do realize they test different things…

Neither are super sensitive, meaning they can be prone to false negatives. Both are very specific, meaning false positives are highly unlikely.

Having consistent symptoms and a positive antigen or PCR is almost certainly real disease.

1 Like

Although PCR could detect an infection that antigen tests may not, it could be that the toddler’s infection was barely detectable / contagious on day 3, but was pushed down to non-detectable levels on day 4.

However, if the parents were exposed on day 3, and the mother tested on day 4, that may be too soon to see if the mother caught it from the toddler (one day is usually not enough for an infection to become detectable by tests).

What was the result of the test of the toddler on day 0?

1 Like

4 Likes

Toddler was tested on days 2, 3, and 4 only, not day 0.
Correction on mother in that she actually tested on day 5 (not day 4).
Sorry @ucbalumnus for the edit. @TexasTiger2 graph easy for me to understand now.

1 Like

Edited table.

1 Like