Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

The Andrew Ewing link mentions nucleocapsid vaccines. I was referring to that post.

1 Like

I linked to that article in a previous post. :slight_smile: I really think she does a great job explaining things.

3 Likes

Just for fun, I looked at the CA vaccine finder page. I was looking for J&J
because if I were to get a fourth jab that would be my choice.

Here’s what the site says ’ Booster mix and match
You may receive the Booster dose of your choice. However, a Pfizer or Moderna Booster dose is preferred by the CDC over Johnson & Johnson for people age 18+."

Weird given what the data is showing

Most people in the US who are not anti-vaccination seem to be all-in on mRNA vaccines for whatever reason. This is not necessarily a good thing in all situations.

As of today

2 Likes

I was trying to decide if I should bring my 86 years old mom for the second booster. This news didn’t help. Don’t understand why they still use vaccine against original strain. https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/05/health/israel-fourth-dose-study/index.html

1 Like

My mother had a stroke days after her booster. Her neurologist and cardiologist have confirmed they have seen an increase in cardiovascular events post booster. She will not be getting a 4th shot.

I feel bad for your Mom, and certainly understand why she’d be reticent to getting another dose.

The difficult thing to parse out though is cause and effect. People old enough to have strokes
have strokes. There was a very recent publication on vaccine induced stroke in Neurology. They estimate the incidence to be less than 1:1,000,000.

6 Likes

That page does not seem to mention how the reported rate of strokes compares to the background rate of strokes.

1 Like

For comparison:

Key to avoiding the heightened stroke risk tied to COVID-19 is to prevent the infection in the first place, McCullough said. “We have learned so much about social distancing and masking, but the best way to prevent getting seriously or critically ill from COVID, whether with stroke or other manifestations of COVID, . . . is to get vaccinated.”

For those who are in the group who perhaps shouldn’t be vaccinated, it seems to be very important to try to stay away from Covid itself.

4 Likes

Saw this out today. I’m glad they’re starting to figure things out and hopefully more will follow:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/06/health/covid-big-inflammation/index.html

3 Likes

My cardiologist informed me of the same. People with no risk profile for stroke presenting with stroke symptoms within a week of getting boosted, for instance, and their provider not looking into or reporting a possible connection. He’s concerned that valuable data on risks vs benefits on a more detailed, micro level have basically been lost.

7 Likes

I don’t know if this is the right place to post a positive (I think) anecdote. But my town has a group of eight people who all got covid last week from a bridge group. The youngest is 90 years old. All are ok! Not sure if it’s because
A). They’re all vaxxed and boosted
B). They all got post-infection treatment
C). Omicron is less severe than earlier strains
D). Other than advanced age, they appear to me to all be healthy—good weights, so I assume unlikely to have diabetes, etc.

Maybe they all would have been fine if they’d gotten covid earlier in the pandemic, too, but it does seem like we are moving in a good direction when such elderly people can all shake it off as a mere cold (from the reports I’m hearing).

16 Likes

What post-infection treatment did they receive and in what time frame? I think we need to rely more on these as time goes on, and access has been an issue when the pandemic rages. Glad they were able to access treatment.

1 Like

Another report regarding a large Swedish study about post Covid and blood clots.

The researchers tracked the health of just over one million people who tested positive for Covid between February 2020 and May 2021 in Sweden, and compared them with four million people of the same age and sex who had not had a positive test.

After a Covid infection, they found an increased risk of:

• blood clots in the leg, or deep vein thrombosis (DVT), for up to three months
  • blood clots in the lungs, or pulmonary embolism, for up to six months
  • internal bleeding, such as a stroke, for up to two months

When the researchers compared the risks of blood clots after Covid to the normal level of risk, they found that:

• four in every 10,000 Covid patients developed DVT compared with one in every 10,000 people who didn’t have Covid
  • about 17 in every 10,000 Covid patients had a blood clot in the lung compared with fewer than one in every 10,000 who did not have Covid

The study, published in the BMJ, said the raised risk of blood clots was higher in the first wave than later waves, probably because treatments improved during the pandemic and older patients were starting to be vaccinated by the second wave.

The risk of a blood clot in the lung in people who were very seriously ill with Covid was 290 times greater than normal, and seven times higher than normal after mild Covid. But there was no raised risk of internal bleeding in mild cases.

“For unvaccinated individuals, that’s a really good reason to get a vaccine - the risk is so much higher than the risk from vaccines,” says Anne-Marie Fors Connolly, principal study investigator from Umea University in Sweden.

The researchers can’t prove that Covid caused the blood clots in this study but they have several theories on why it happens.

It could be the direct effect of the virus on the layer of cells which line blood vessels, an exaggerated inflammatory response to the virus, or the body making blood clots at inappropriate times.

1 Like

I don’t want to increase my risk of DVT or PE, but it’s important to spin this relative risk the same way I do for patients with family members who have glaucoma. There may be a four fold increase in DVT, but it still means 9996 of 10,000 will not develop it. PE is a little more disconcerting, but the odds still dramatically favor normalcy.

2 Likes

I heard at least some got regeneron. I am not sure if any got Pfizer’s Paxlovid, I’m not 100% sure in each case, just know they all tested and got treatment.

That’s why I cut and pasted all the numbers instead of just the percentages.

Later in the article it talks about how the chances of problems due to clots from the vax are even lower.

2 Likes

It’s sort of how I feel about a 4th dose right now. It my cut my risk of severe disease, but for my particular situation, it’s already very low with three doses. We’re going into the summer, where we’ll be doing lots of outdoor stuff. If I get a 4th, it’ll be in the fall. Hopeful the committee meeting from yesterday will help clarify.

9 Likes