Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

The issue with timing is that antibodies apparently wane in 4 weeks. There are other effects in the immune system but we really don’t get much info on B and T cells etc.

It’s pretty clear to me that there’s a good chance we are at the beginning of a wave here in NY, so as a quite a ways over 50 person, it seemed prudent to get a booster.

2 Likes

However, they do not instantly drop to whatever the lower maintenance level is. The antibody studies indicate that they start dropping after 4 weeks, but it probably takes 4-6 months before they are down to the lower maintenance level.

Yes, but these seem to be studied and reported less, perhaps because they are less accessible to study. However, they are important in how effective immune response is to actual infection.

You sure are. COVID Numbers New York: BA2 Subvariants Fuel Community Spread – NBC New York

It will spread quickly to other states (if it hasn’t already).

I had 2 Modernas and a Pfizer booster. According to the articles posted above, I should consider going back to Moderna for my 2nd booster.

The covid in wastewater here is going up. Should I boost because of that, or wait till we’re closer to the family event out of state in July (rhetorical question)?

1 Like

Agree. Saying ‘timing is difficult’ without discussing activity based timing falls flat. If you work from home and don’t go out much but are planning a trip in a few months does it make sense to wait? That’s what I want to know.

Get a booster now. You’ll probably be allowed to get another one in a few months.

Not really worried about not being able to get another booster. Was more concerned were the EU Regulators concern that too frequent boosters would lead to a diminished immune response to that particular vaccine. So if I really need protection in 4 months when I’ll be traveling does it make sense to wait to be boosted when I’m home most of the time right now? I’m a BIG fan of vaccines. So if there’s no downside like this I’d rush to get one.

1 Like

This may be more of a concern with viral vector vaccines where immunity against the vector virus may be stimulated, rendering future vaccination with vaccines using the same vector virus less effective. Examples of COVID-19 vaccines:

• Oxford - AstraZeneca: ChAdOx1
  • J&J / Janssen: Ad26
  • CanSino Convidecia: Ad5
  • Sputnik V: Ad26 (first dose), Ad5 (second dose)
1 Like

Yes, that’s what I read. That’s why I will get every booster as soon as it comes out unless my doctor ever advises otherwise.

So not the MRNA vaccines? That’s good to know.

I am pretty isolated and wear an N95. I am waiting until a month before my trip.

1 Like

mRNA vaccines would not have that specific issue.

However, the recent studies do suggest that, beyond the third dose, additional doses would only bring up antibody response temporarily, rather than having a longer term antibody effect. Hence the whole timing issue.

Of course, there is also the possibility that, if you only had mRNA vaccine doses previously, you may want to get a J&J dose for vaccine diversity (e.g. greater stimulation of CD8 T-cells), but there has not been a lot of study on that subject.

In your case (similar to mine), it’s a difficult decision, and not at all clear-cut as some seem to think it is.

2 Likes

Another factor: I want to be eligible for any booster that is offered in the fall before holidays. So I have decided to wait but not too long.

1 Like

This is my rationale too, as well as that of my internist.

2 Likes

I work almost completely remote, but I do get together with people whom I don’t know their household too well. I want to start doing more things and not have to worry about Covid risk as much.
We are having a workshop at work next week. There will be 15+ people in a large conference room. I asked to have everyone tested the day of meeting, but some people were against it. My firm offers free testing in the building. I just don’t understand why people would be against getting tested. I will get tested and wear a mask the whole time.

3 Likes

Everytime you get tested when you have no symptoms, you are rolling the dice. Roll the dice enough times and you have a higher chance of losing. Most people in the country aren’t afraid of covid anymore. They are afraid of having a positive test and having to quarantine for five days. If you never test, you never get caught and you avoid quarantine. It’s really pretty simple to understand.

There are still vulnerable groups, and any time a symptom-less person who is contagious for COVID exposes even one person, it passes down a chain, and we don’t know who might be along that chain. A very elderly person, a person who is immunocompromised, or an unvaccinated child.

I was invited to a friend’s house to play Scrabble. She and her husband aren’t that careful. They didn’t want to test, even though I offered mine. I didn’t go.

When I get my booster I would go inside to my friend’s without testing, for a few months, but still make sure I do not expose my 95 year old mother or others in her facility.

The issue for me right now is that that Scrabble game is less important than visiting my daughter in June! Luckily it is finally getting a little warmer here, so we can begin hanging out outside again.

5 Likes

if work required testing, I would get tested. Otherwise, sorry, not getting tested just bcos one person requests it, however nice the request. Work could easily setup dial-in for anyone vulnerable and/or was concerned.

1 Like

Which, to me, is crazy. I’d want to do all I could to keep others safe instead of unknowingly pass something on.

Humans certainly have different mindsets.

12 Likes