Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

So if I understand correctly, vaccines are least efficacious in populations that need them the most (in geographic locations with the most transmissibility of disease). The disparity in efficacy was pretty astounding: 45 to 95% in areas with most to least disease prevalence respectively. I guess it makes sense and is a fancy way of saying what we’ve been seeing. That must have been a lot of data to crunch. :flushed:

1 Like

That’s how I read it. The more virus that’s circulating the lower the vaccine efficacy. I agree that it’s not surprising but it’s disappointing.

1 Like

I took it. I tested positive on Mother’s Day and started the following day. My only side effect was a weird taste in my mouth which disappeared as soon as the five days were over. And I felt all better by the end of the week; resumed working remotely on Friday.

1 Like

When I tested positive my doctor told me there were significant side effects and did not recommend taking it. Covid did hit me hard, but I was on the upswing in 3 days.

I am almost 74 years old and that alone made me a likely candidate for Paxlovid. The only side effect I noticed was the weird taste. I tested positive on Sunday at CityMD where I went for symptoms of bronchitis. I started Paxlovid on Monday. By Friday I felt perfectly fine but by Saturday there was still a faint line on my rapid test. It was gone by Monday and I resumed my normal life.

11 Likes

I’m glad it worked out, oldmom4896!

2 Likes

My 90 year old mom ( still in great health) was told by her doctor to check in every day after testing positive with very mild symptoms. If things looked worse by day 3 or 4 she’d order Palaxvoid. But if symptoms really going away by then shenadvised better to get the hybrid immunity which she felt the drug may not provide. Symptoms almost all gone within 72 hrs and no drug prescribed.

3 Likes

This is interesting. Has anyone seen any research about this?

It’s a good question. We aren’t too worried because my mom’s symptoms were incredibly mild. As she said “ not the worst cold I ever had. Not even in the top 40”. Lol

1 Like

This is of particular interest to me, as my D24 still suffers from parosmia 14 months post-covid (and yes, coffee, chocolate, meat and nuts seem to be the worst offenders for her).

I thought I was feeling better yesterday (no fever or headaches), but today I woke up and my body felt calm. Hard to describe, but before today my whole body just felt agitated. I noticed my pulse is a lot lower thank yesterday.
I would say I felt worse on Tue and gradually felt better each day.
I only took cold medicines and drank a lot of lemon water with honey.

11 Likes

@oldfort - so glad you are feeling better. When I had Covid in January I had about a day and a half of feeling bad then I started to feel better each day. I also only took cold medicine and drank lots of water and hot tea. I ran a slight fever for less than 24 hours.

1 Like

An interesting article on the effects of our mini “holiday” from pathogens other than COVID.

Interesting article, thank you for sharing. I hope your daughter’s parosmia resolves. One of my daughter’s friends has problems relating to her autonomous nervous system that resulted from a Covid infection early in the pandemic (she does not suffer from parosmia). She was diagnosed with Dysautonomia. It seems that Covid might affect the nervous system.

Our area’s wastewater levels are now as high as July 2020. Covid admissions have doubled from 44 at the beginning of May to 88. My institution has just reinstated a mask mandate.

2 Likes

Glad you feeling better, @oldfort!!

1 Like

@oldfort Your description of waking up and feeling calm is interesting. I had something similar, when what I thought was a cold (3 days of negative rapid tests) suddenly cleared up in the middle of day 5 of symptoms. The way I described it is that it felt like the sickness just left my body. In the morning I had enough symptoms (nose still running, sneezing and tired) that I thought I would have to back out of plans we had that night, and then suddenly poof - I was totally fine. Never had anything like that before. The cold symptoms never progressed to bad congestion and cough, as mine usually do. Since then I’ve been wondering if I actually had covid and it was the antibodies kicking in that made the symptoms disappear so spontaneously (I am boosted x 2 and it was about 3 weeks after my 2nd boost.) I guess I’ll never know and I have chosen to assume it was just a cold, but reading your account of waking up and your body feeling different is now making me think again it could have been covid! (I don’t know of any specific exposure and no one else in my orbit got sick, but it did start the day after we came back from vacation.)

1 Like

You can get tested to see if you have Covid antibody. It would be different from vaccines.

You must mean the nucleocapsid antibody, which is different from the spike antibody that most antibody tests look for. Vaccines used in the US include only the spike protein, so the nucleocapsid antibody will only appear after actual infection, or some whole-virus vaccines used in some other countries.