Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

I don’t think there’s enough evidence to suggest any path is vastly superior to another. I think there is plenty of evidence to show that there isn’t a mRNA combination path that is vastly inferior. I’d do what your PCP recommends. I personally did PPMM.

1 Like

My doc offers no opinion. I have asked twice. I wish I had one M for first booster but I did see the study posted here that for those with PPP, a second booster with P boosted antibodies x 1.6 and with M, it was x2. In either case it seems the main issue is not strength but duration of effectiveness, whatever level of effectiveness we are now left with!

1 Like

I don’t think my question was clear. I believe Moderna is more protective. But originally it took tow doses to get that protection. So if I have ONLY one Moderna (second booster) versus two (as recommended originally to achieve protection) is that a problem?

I am not unclear on choosing M over P, I just want to make sure ONE dose is effective versus the sequence of 2 that we were originally told were needed for effectiveness.

Interview with Topol, but still doesn’t answer my question: Eric Topol, MD, Discusses the Latest COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Data (webmd.com) He suggests switching due to the different effects on the immune system.

You raise an interesting question. I’m wondering for myself if my MMP should become MMPP or MMPM. I got P for my 1st booster because there was evidence that boosting Moderna primary series with Pfizer booster produced more antibodies than getting another Moderna booster. I am leaning towards getting another Pfizer, but that’s because I had a reaction after my 2nd Moderna.

What kind of reaction? Immediate allergic or side effect?

First, there’s immunoglobulin mediated immunity which protects against disease and leukocyte mediated immunity which helps with severity. The former is relatively short lived no matter what you do. The latter is pretty robust no matter what you do. The answer to your question is not clear, and certainly at the margins.

As for one vs. two doses, that was for the primary sequence. Boosting is different, but I don’t think about it that way anyway. I just think about it as a 4 shot sequence that may or may not require a yearly boost.

I’d choose the one that’s easiest to get. :wink:

3 Likes

It was side effects, all typical.

I got PPPM with the approval of my docs. My H and my 92 year old mom did as well. None of us had much in the way of side effects and so far all 3 of us have remained covid-free.

1 Like

Glad they’re doing this study but if currently recruiting and it is 6 month process, when is the earliest we might see results and (potentially) have an updated vaccine? Trying to decide if should take second booster which is more of same or wait. No real health issues, but over 60.

From U.S. News
“June is shaping up to be an influential month for coronavirus vaccine developments in the U.S., including a long-awaited decision on shots for the country’s youngest kids.

[
SEE:
Latest Coronavirus and Vaccine News ]

The Food and Drug Administration’s vaccine advisory committee has several meetings scheduled for June, including a two-day meeting in mid-June when experts will consider whether to allow shots from Moderna and Pfizer in America’s youngest kids – a major milestone that has eluded parents for months.”
“ Additionally, the committee meets at the end of June to discuss whether and how to modify the coronavirus vaccine to combat circulating variants.

The pair of developments could mean major changes on the vaccine front.”

Yes, lots of vaccine meetings this month. And on June 7, the FDA advisory committee will be meeting to discuss EUA for Novavax.

I’ve listened in on FDA and CDC advisory committee meetings, and they are very interesting.

2 Likes

Is anyone here waiting for Novavax versus booster?

I’m curious why anyone would. It’s an adjuvant vaccine based around the same antigen, the spike protein. Theoretically it should mount a similar response as the mRNAs, and in primary dosing it has, although slightly less robust. I haven’t read much about it other than that though. Is there something compelling about that route?

1 Like

Some people who have medical reasons (e.g. allergies) preventing use of the existing available vaccines may be able to use the Novavax vaccine.

Also, some people are hesitant about new vaccine technologies, while Novavax is more similar to some older vaccines.

Novavax also does not have any connection to cell lines that may have abortion connections, for those concerned about that.

3 Likes

Yes

Sure, but other than an already known reaction to a primary mRNA, those are reasons to choose it as a primary option. @compmom is talking about switching to Novavax after primary mRNA, essentially using it as a boost.

It will be interesting how Novavax EUA is worded (assuming it gets approved), but it’s unlikely it will be recommended as a booster because there is no data available in using it as a booster in already vaccinated peeps (afaik, and if there is I don’t think it’s been submitted to the FDA).

1 Like

Key findings:

• Antibodies: After six months, those given Moderna had highest levels of neutralizing antibodies, followed by those given the Pfizer-BioNTech and Novavax vaccines. The Janssen/J&J vaccine led to the lowest neutralizing antibody levels.
  • B cells: Participants given the Janssen/J&J vaccine had the highest percentage of memory B cells after six months.
  • CD4+ T cells: All participants retained a similar percentage of memory CD4+ “helper” T cells against the virus.
  • CD8+ T cells: The Novavax vaccine led to the lowest levels of CD8+ “killer” T cells. A higher CD8+ response was seen in those given Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, or Janssen/J&J vaccines. Overall, after six months, only 60 to 70 percent of participants retained memory CD8+ T cells.

Journal pre-proof:

https://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(22)00653-5.pdf?_returnURL=https%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS0092867422006535%3Fshowall%3Dtrue

Re: https://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(22)00653-5.pdf

Note that several aspects of immune response from mild COVID-19 infection only were also compared against the vaccines (MM, PP, J, NN).

From the image on the second page, infection was comparable to whatever the weakest vaccine was in each of the listed aspects of immunity at 6 months.

1 Like

FDA concerned about cardiac inflammation (myocarditis) with Novavax vaccine. Novavax COVID shot effective but carries heart risk, FDA says

FDA meets Tuesday June 7 to discuss EUA for Novavax vaccine. Here are the meeting materials, and how to access the live meeting: Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee June 7, 2022 Meeting Announcement - 06/07/2022 | FDA

1 Like