Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

I am 3 months out. They are saying 2 months is fine but I might wait a month. I am still masking and careful.

I listened to a lot of the meeting (Iā€™ve listened to ACIP and the FDAā€™s advisory committee VRPA meetings in the past.) As always, it was very interesting. The one ā€œnoā€ vote was because of the lack of human trial results. Several wanted the time period after most recent dose to be more than 2 months (more time between is better). There was concern over myocarditis if young men got vaccinated too soon after infection (several times it was brought out how many people have recently gotten infected).

Surprising to me was the issue of administration errors because of labeling. This has apparently happened with the Pfizer vaccine. Iā€™d not heard of this, but I googled, and it has happened with the pediatric vials. https://www.pharmacypracticenews.com/Clinical/Article/07-22/Waste-Mix-Ups-From-COVID-19-Vax-Labeling-Possible/67493?fbclid=IwAR2kZ1sphoNtxE1nA1B5Pc5Ynu4HbcRm24fSPlLU2bpJcYh9IO1hHi4WNZ8 And now there is concern that the monovalent vaccine vs the bivalent booster vials arenā€™t easily distinguishable. This is less of a concern with Moderna. This was mentioned several times. The answer was that there will be printed directions. Iā€™m sure itā€™s too late to change the labels, as the vaccine has already been shipped, and they arenā€™t going to relabel the ones that havenā€™t been shipped yet. They talked about how giving the wrong dose is reported.

3 Likes

How did you find out that itā€™s the new booster? Every CVS I have called isnā€™t scheduling yet until they get it in stock and they donā€™t know when that will be.

Walgreens is scheduling appts online for the new booster, and shows ā€˜bivalentā€™ as one of the choices. Iā€™m sure other sites will be up and running over the next few days.

2 Likes

We had to pick up a prescription for H last night so we asked the pharmacist when they expected the new vaccine and he said they did not know yet, but would probably have more information next week. H and I would like to get the booster before heading out for our road trip at the end of the month. H also has a business trip to the UK and Denmark coming up in October so this is also incentive for us to get the booster ASAP.

Deleted

YLE comments on timing for bivalent boosters:

2 Likes

Ugh. Iā€™m trying to figure out when we should get ours. Our boosters were last October and as far as we know, we havenā€™t been sick. But we are going to Austria for Xmas and I want to be most protected then. But then again, H works with 500 snotty kids every day. Many teachers/staff/students have had it in the last month, so every day disease-free feels like a gift. (As an aside, one poor teacher is on her third bout of strep!) but then Iā€™m also getting the shingles shot on the 14th so I donā€™t want to get it too close to that one. So right now Iā€™m leaning toward October 1st or so. Of course, if we come down sick in the next month, Iā€™ll be kicking myself.

Our second booster was in March. We had covid in July. Going to Europe middle of November. Iā€™m thinking we will be able to get the new booster at the beginning of November.

Hoping to have optimal immunity for our cruise.

2 Likes

Got our 2nd booster in April. Going to indoor wedding with lots of folks flying in mid-Nov. thinking of getting our booster in early Nov so it will give max protection for wedding and hopefully holidays.

Not sure which brandā€” had 3 Pfizers + 1 Moderna. Will ask my docs in Oct. plan to get flu shot in Oct.

As always people should ask their docs for vaccine timing advice, but Omicron variants are so very contagious that one may very well get covid while waiting to get boosted, if thatā€™s what one chooses to do. Trying to analyze the situation/have the perfect timing is like trying to catch a falling knife. Seems reasonable to just get the shot if you meet the criteria.

4 Likes

However, if you have been infected recently, a booster too soon may not do much good while your antibody levels are still high, and your risk of reinfection is low for the time being, especially while the circulating variant is likely to be the same. So the timing of the booster is most significant for those who had a recent infection.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s why I qualified my statement by saying those who ā€˜meet the criteriaā€™ for the bivalentā€¦many experts are saying to wait one to two months if youā€™ve been recently infected, or had a recent booster. Again, people should speak with their doctor(s).

2 Likes

Sadly I donā€™t think many PCP are that up on the latest thoughts about optimal time for boosters. The PCP in my system just parrot the CDC official 2 month after last booster allowance. Unless you have a PCP who is really paying attention, I think you have to start with your own review of sources that are paying attention. I think reading things like Your local epidemiologist and then discussing those considerations with your PCP is the best way to go.

10 Likes

I have read that effectiveness goes up with a longer interval. I had my third booster June 4, so I am going to try to make it at least 4 months between shots. It does feel like Russian Roulette! An added motivator is the holiday season with kids.

I have my antibody test this coming week, in a Johns Hopkins study. After one month, antibodies were >25000. Will be interesting to see how much they dropped. That said, those antibodies are geared to the original form of the virus.

2 Likes

So far, canā€™t find any bivalent boosters in my community. Guess we will wait and see when they arrive.

I got an email on Friday from the hospital network all my providers work for (NYU Langone):
begin email
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a new bivalent COVID-19 booster that protects against both the Omicron variant and the original strain of the virus.

For that reason, and at the recommendation of public health authorities, we will only be offering the new bivalent COVID-19 booster to our patients. We will no longer be offering the previous Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 boosters.

The new booster is expected to be available at NYU Langone facilities sometime next week, but supplies may be limited. NYU Langone will prioritize booster appointments for those most at risk for exposure and severe disease.

Based on FDA approval and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendations, you are eligible for the new booster if:

• You are 12 years of age or older (for Pfizer) or 18 years of age or older (for Moderna) and
  • It has been at least two months since your most recent booster or the completion of your primary vaccination series

Once the new booster is available at NYU Langone facilities, you will receive an email with instructions on how to set up your appointment through NYU Langone Health MyChart. Learn more about the COVID-19 vaccine and updated boosters on our website.

Thank you for trusting NYU Langone with your care.
end email

Right now there are no appointments available.

We are in CA and the news here stated the same thing: that only the new bivalent boosters will be offered, and pharmacies who had not yet received the new boosters were canceling existing appointments. I went ahead and made an appointment for me, H, and D at our local Kaiser for 9/12, hoping that will provide a sufficient window for them to receive their supply. Happy that H and I had decided to hold off on getting our second booster, even though we were eligible, so that we can get this new one immediately, especially as we have travel planned for later this month.

1 Like

just snagged an appt for Thursday pm at Walgreens in San Jose area. Got lucky, as nothing was available 5 minutes later.

Appointments expected to open up in Maryland after Labor Day for bivalent boosters.