Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

School has been open for 3 days now. It took that long to get our first Covid notice. The father of two students tested positive, plus a friend/fellow student had been at their house. All three need to isolate now.

What I wonder is since they knew the father had a test in the works, WHY did they feel it was just fine to come to school? We don’t know details, so it’s possible the dad got tested for something procedural and had a quick result, also thinking he would be negative, but I’m not sure I’d place bets on that. Still, it’s possible I suppose.

The frustrating truth is many people just don’t care who they might infect. That may or may not be true in this case.

I suppose we’re lucky. A neighboring school district has at least one positive high school student who went to school. With ours we don’t know if the students/friend caught it from the dad or not.

I’m glad I’m not there. I worry about my friends with existing health conditions.

[quote=“ucbalumnus, post:1860, topic:2089680”]

[quote=“Nrdsb4, post:1859, topic:2089680”]

My cousin just forwarded me something and asked me to pass it on as well. It’s information from someone on the “Inside”- a Registered Nurse. This is part of what this “nurse” has to say:

[quote]

Great video!!!

I’m confused by the doctor’s account of his reaction to the shot. Since vaccines are not live virus, side effects are usually from the stoking of the immune system. In my experience, side effects usually happen about two weeks after the shot. (One of my kids has type 1 diabetes and you can see blood sugars react two weeks later, which kind of confirmed what I have always perceived.)

Do others have more immediate reactions to vaccines?

Is the COVID vaccine somehow different in how it affects the immune system, meaning a faster reaction?

He is probably trained so maybe walking 30 miles is easy for him compared to running, but my version of fatigue is trouble walking upstairs!

Read the thread about shingles and Shingrix vaccine to find that many people have varying effects from the Shingrix vaccine soon after getting it. Shingrix is not a live virus vaccine, unlike the older and less effective Zostavax vaccine that was also used for shingles.

Note that the Shingrix vaccine information statement says that “symptoms usually went away on their on in 2 to 3 days.”

Obviously, the Moderna vaccine for COVID-19 is not the same, but Shingrix does show that vaccines can produce noticeable effects within a few days of getting them.

Most side effects from vaccines occur within 24 hours.

I read this on another online forum, written by a guy in the industry: “Shipping and stability: The Moderna vaccine can be shipped and stored at -20C, has some stability at normal vaccine refrigeration temps. The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine must be shipped/stored at -70C with only 24 hours at typical refrigeration temps. This presents a significant limitation for both vaccines, but for Pfizer in particular. That sort of cold chain distribution will likely restrict vaccine administration to major institutions. Long lines at major hospitals/centers. Unless significant steps are taken to change the status quo in cold chain storage.”

Why wouldn’t normal shipping chains be able to ship vaccines at -20C? That’s -4F, barely colder than my freezer. Isn’t frozen food shipped at around that temp?

"It takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop in the body and provide protection against influenza. "

“Delayed Reactions. With the MMR and chickenpox shots, fever and rash can occur. These symptoms start later. They usually begin between 1 and 4 weeks.”

There are many different vaccines and already many different COVID vaccines in trials, with varying mechanisms of action. Clearly some cause illness within 24 hours.

We have autoimmune illnesses so that may explain our delayed sickness with flu shots, though our doctors, perhaps mistakenly, tell us that is not uncommon.

I just wanted to clarify what can be expected.

Well, he mentioned that the Pfizer vaccine has the more serious limitation, requiring -70C (-94F!!). I think it’s the shipping plus STORAGE that’s the issue.

Slight digression: DH and I are scheduled to get our flu shots today. We realize it’s on the early side, but we don’t want to risk their running out. I’ll request the “over 65” stronger shot. We hope to be able to travel after the first of the year sometime to quarantine and get ready for the new grandbaby. I wanted to wait a few weeks but DH wants to do it today. Thoughts?

There was an article in the NYT 2 days ago about this (when to get the flu shot) but its behind a paywall. can someone access it?

Here are some relevant snippets (happy to PM you the whole thing if you would like):

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/25/health/flu-vaccine-coronavirus.html

Dora Anne Mills, who was Director of the Maine CDC, said it’s not too early to get the flu shot now. I have been very impressed with her, so I will take her advice and get it soon.

The last time I had a yellow fever vaccine I had a 103 degree fever that night and could not lift my arm above my head. I felt much better the next day and perfectly normal within two days. So this did not seem at all weird to me.

I have talked with many doctors to say just get the flu shot now. Some like to wait till Oct /November to see if strains change and they adjust the flu shot. I am curious to see if we see a decrease of symptoms and the flu in general since many are washing hands, wearing masks and not touching their face. Maybe as a society we will learn something?

They saw a big decrease in flu this winter in South Africa (winter is just ending there).

Flu rates in Australia were way down this year

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8409055/Australias-flu-season-looks-set-lowest-YEARS.html

We normally get our flu shots in mid September and will wait until then this year too.

Well, we cancelled our appointment for today but will reschedule in a week or 2., I guess.

Thanks, @Mwfan1921 . Someone taught me how to save the article screenshot and I was able to. We went ahead and cancelled the appointments for today but can r/s in a week or 2 I guess.