Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

@compmom My H recently received his second Shingrix shot. First one was no problem (maybe a little soreness at the injection site). This time, it knocked him out with flu-like symptoms (fever, body aches, headache) for two days. Also, my D20 just go her meningitis (B, I think?) shots. Both times she felt sick (tired and achey) for a day or so afterward.

I think the Abbott card is one of the more hopeful bits of news I’ve heard recently, if for no other reason than if it is widely available for individuals, it means that at the very least, planned events (Thanksgiving dinners, religious gatherings, wedding, visits to people in LTC facilities
) can feasibly happen safely.

Thinking beyond that, if a school could procure enough to test students even once per week, I think it would be a game-changer. I see it as another tool (in addition to mask-wearing, which honestly seems like the biggest bang for the buck) that can allow for in-person gathering.

I was hit pretty with a hard fever, body aches and headache with both Shingrix shots, but I will gladly take that feeling again for a couple of days with a Covid vaccine if that means I can visit my parents and travel again!

Its not really available for individuals - its to be administered by a medical professional. I have a feeling self administered tests are coming soon. I’ve been hopeful for a while now.

I would love that, but Abbott says the test is for people with symptoms and a prescription.

Yes, I know that it is not yet widely available to individuals, but it seems to me this is obviously where the technology is heading. Given the rapid pace we’ve seen so far, I think it is only a matter of time before we’re there.

The problem with early is that the body starts to adjust as the vaccine only lasts six months. If your town has an influenza outbreak next March your protection will be reduced.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/keyfacts.htm

Many health care professionals I know get two shots, one as soon as they are available and another in winter.

Personally, I’ll wait until October like every other year.

I hope shots are available in October.

I wondered if we could get two shots
would insurance only cover one?

Every year the chain pharmacies start pushing the flu shot in August and every year I read that the shot lasts 6 months so we should wait. I usually get a shot in late October or early November.

If what I was told was correct, they start giving less protection after 4 months or so. If people are in high risk groups or jobs I can see why they’d want two for an entire season.

We go in Oct. That prepares us for Thanksgiving/Christmas (both biggies for sharing it at school when kids return after break) and keeps us “strong” into the beginning of Feb when we head south.

Locally I haven’t heard anyone mention they were going to start getting flu shots when they haven’t before so I find it doubtful they’ll run out in Oct around here.

A large number of vocal folks around us aren’t interested in a Covid vaccine either.

We’re in the “not planning to be first in line” group. Some of that is because I don’t feel “rushed” with “political pressure or financial goals to rush even more” to be intelligent. Another part is if they actually work, people in more high risk groups than us need to be ahead of us in line. We’re mentally, financially, and physically fine with mostly isolating. It’s helpful that we have farm and room to roam plus H often did most of his job remotely even before Covid. We’ve never been partiers or gone out to sporting/music events, so no loss to us there. Take out has been fine replacing our restaurant meals - the view from our car or our house beats the inside of most restaurants anyway. Lack of travel is a bummer, but we’re seeing what we can do on that end. Not going to school seems weird. I’m still debating if I want that to be a permanent retirement or not.

There WAS a shortage a few years ago, remember? It does happen. I will get my shot early September. If Dora Anne Mills says it’s OK, I believe her.

I don’t recall any shortage around us in Oct. We’ve never had an issue getting one.

Regardless, it’s totally fine with me if others choose to do things differently and if your area had a shortage in Oct, it makes sense.

ps I have no idea who Dora Anne Mills is. :slight_smile:

If you do want two, but your insurance covers only one, the price for a flu shot seems to be about $20 at Costco and $40 at other retail pharmacies, based on previous years.

Lots of places seem to have it around here. Was offered it yesterday at CVS but wanted to research the recommendation for my age and health.

A couple years ago there was a shortage and it arrived quite late, I can’t remember exactly what the problem was, but we (medical professionals) were aware that there would be a problem. This year the shots have started to arrive and no problem is anticipated.

If I recall, the ‘shortage’ a few years ago was bcos they modified the formula mid-stream, so the revision that took awhile to catch up. The original was readily available.

Last year, there was spot shortages of the Branded high does shot (Fluzone?) targeted to those over 65, but my CVS said that their generic booster was just as good.

I think the last big shortfall was 2004, which is when CDC started to stockpile some vaccines for kids.

Received a flyer in the mail from our local hospital system which was advertising free flu shots. Make and appointment and its drive-thru. Might be worth getting the free one today and a ‘booster’ in Jan
hmmmmm

I remember the 2004/2005 shortage well. It was the only year we didn’t get the shot. I begged the pediatrician to give it to younger S in pre-school. He was my kid that was the first in my city with MRSA and asthmatic. Nope. He didn’t qualify. He came down with it while we were out of town for me to run a marathon. I caught it from him and with my immune system weak from racing, caught pneumonia. I thought I was going to die. H got it and got bronchitis. We will never go without a shot if possible again.

We usually go in mid October so that the full effects are Nov-Feb which covers our typical season. I really hope they don’t run out.

Do you mean in 2009, when a new variant of H1N1 flu started going around? This was different from the H1N1 that was in that year’s regular seasonal flu vaccine; since making flu vaccine at the time was rather slow (using the egg-based method), the vaccine for the new variant took a while to arrive and was in shortage for a while due to high demand (the regular seasonal flu vaccine for the year was easy to find).

Since 2009, the H1N1 component of the regular seasonal flu vaccine has been for a virus closely related to the new-for-2009 variant.

The variations of the seasonal flu vaccine that you may want to be aware of:

• Egg versus non-egg based. Of importance to those with egg allergies.
  • Three versus four strains of flu. The difference is one versus two B strains. Both kinds contains two A strains, an H1N1 and an H3N2.
  • High dose for those age 65+.
  • Injected versus nasal spray. However, it has been noticed that the nasal spray version is less effective.

Last year, the Costco $20 flu shot was a four strain non-egg based vaccine. However, if you specifically need non-egg or want a four strain vaccine, be sure ask first.

I remember the shortage well. It was predicted to be a bad flu season and I couldn’t find ANY PLACE that had the vaccine. Finally, my running partner heard about a clinic being held at a Catholic church. I remember sitting, waiting my turn, for over an hour to get the shot. I don’t want to go through that stress again.