Inside Medicine. What Are You Seeing? [COVID-19 medical news]

The Russia trials involved only 76 participants.

I think they’re pretty similar. Mine gets fatigued when he exerts himself and can’t continue. He’s been pushing it lately thinking he might be just out of shape, but said it hasn’t improved at all. He feels he got better to a point, then can’t get past that point. I haven’t asked how much pain is involved.

I hope someday soon @Creekland’s son and @“Snowball City”'s daughter get diagnoses that explain exactly why they’re having the exhaustion and pain they’re still having. Heart? Lungs?

OK, well, what I really hope is the exhaustion and pain go away forthwith. But it would be helpful to know exactly what is causing these post-covid problems.

I agree. These are the kinds of follow ups US researchers should be doing. We have enough people (unfortunately) who were exposed in March/April that we should have good studies, 6 months later. I would like to see follow up analysis on the Germans who had the 2 month follow up heart ultrasounds. What do they look like 4 months out? 6 months. Its so hard to understand how a WORLD that has been affected by Covid has so little analysis 6-7 months later.

I’m frustrated that we don’t have more info on survivors by now. The news concentrates on deaths and pure numbers. We know those. It’s still happening.

I want more news to get out about the heart/lung clotting issues and what they’ve found out now, 6 months down the road, from those who were affected. Many people were affected back in March and didn’t die. There should be no shortage of people worldwide willing to participate in these studies if they were free to them.

If it’s indeed continuing to affect 1/5, 1/3, or whatever the number is of all who have had the disease - symptomatic or not - the public should know. That alone might get more to rethink what they’re doing and if they care about getting it or not. Taking a 1/2000 chance is understandable, but do folks feel the same if the odds are 1/3 for possibly permanent heart issues? I’d like it detailed out by age as well. My guy is 28.

And if it ends up being more rare, fine, my lad drew a short straw. Such is life. We’re still going to try to avoid it because I suspect our odds are greater should there be a genetic reason.

If they find it’s merely a slow recovery, then I’m thrilled.

We are pretty certain that my son had Covid back in February while at school. He was very sick for three weeks. Once he felt better, he discovered that he was still experiencing extreme shortness of breath when he tried to exercise. His doctor told him that there was nothing medically the doctor could do to help, but that hopefully in time his lungs would heal.

Thankfully, he appears to have gradually recovered: within the last two weeks, he has finally been able to get his running times back to where they were pre-illness. He is no longer experiencing any shortness of breath when exercising.

Hopefully @Creekland and @“Snowball City” your kids will also recover completely and get back to feeling 100%.

Not that many CC posters have kids who were infected with covid. Three of those posters’ kids had a long tail recovery. So it’s gotta be more than 1 in 2000 who take a long time to recover.

Why doesn’t he get an antibody test? Easy and freely available.

The hospital system in my area and his doctor refuse to give the antibody test because they say it is unable to distinguish between covid19 and other coronaviruses.

The 1/2000 is what I hear often quoted as death odds. Many people don’t realize there are significant problems other than death. Nor do they realize the death odds are higher for those of us who are older - made up in the stats by the odds being significantly better for the younguns.

Death odds are more like 1/200 population-wide. But of course that’s heavily skewed to older people.

I agree with you, but apparently we have no idea what we’re talking about in this deep red territory I live in. They say cases are 10x what’s listed and deaths are overcounted. I gave up trying to argue the point. I just feel their 1/2000 minds might be changed if they realized 1/5 or perhaps 1/3 have significant issues even if they’re asymptomatic (and young as per the Penn St athletes).

Right now we only have a few studies showing those levels (none showing less). I’d like more to either confirm or deny it and if it’s confirmed, I’d like to see it shouted repeatedly from every news source out there. That might work to get enough people on board with getting rid of the virus by acting intelligently via masks and distancing.

The woman who wrote this article has post-Covid postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS). She also talks about post-Covid in general. My general sense is that post-Covid syndrome is going to affect a huge number of people, especially women, who tend to suffer more from auto-immune disease.

On the bright side, doctors and researchers are learning fast and will discover a lot about post-viral syndrome, immune function and dysfunction. Also, it does seem that many patients improve slowly over time.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/09/covid-19-heart-pots-myocarditis/616021/

It’s probably too late for an antibody test if he was sick in February.

AstraZeneca / Oxford COVID-19 vaccine trial put on hold. A participant had a suspected adverse reaction.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/08/astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-study-put-on-hold-due-to-suspected-adverse-reaction-in-participant-in-the-u-k/

The adverse reaction was transverse myelitis, an inflammation in the spinal cord that caused the patient to lose the use of her hands and feet. This is something that can be caused by viruses. As I understand it, the AstraZeneca vaccine infects people with a modified adenovirus (a chimpanzee cold virus). This could be very bad news for this vaccine. Or it could be nothing.

That is quite disappointing to hear. I wonder if she just coincidentally had contracted some other type of virus that will turn out to just be a confounding variable.

I sure hope she recovers.

AZ CEO confirmed today that the patient with symptoms consistent with transverse myelitis (it has not been confirmed yet) did receive the covid vaccine, and was not in the control group. This report said she is improving and should go home soon. This is the second time this trial has been halted, including in July when a patient was ultimately diagnosed with MS. https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/09/astrazeneca-covid19-vaccine-trial-hold-patient-report/

IMO it is ridiculous that these details were made on a private call to JPMorgan clients, and not publically, but that would be for another day, another thread.

As always Derek Lowe has some good thoughts, google ‘in the pipeline serious adverse event time’. He did comment that tranverse myelitis can be a sequelae of a virus, similar to Guillain-Barre syndrome (which was the side effect which derailed the 1976 swine flu vaccine after it launched). https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/1/05-1007_article

Follow-up work in Bergamo. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/09/08/bergamo-italy-covid-longterm/?arc404=true&fbclid=IwAR0yYX31O-V2pMXzt6suOlqgPRorA3YVDN4B7WjXQBr4ErwyWx-_hfyysj4

I pretty much assumed that they would verify that the person was receiving the vaccine candidate rather than placebo before halting the trial. It makes no sense, otherwise. I mean, hypothetically you could see an outbreak of Covid itself among trial participants — which would pretty much be devastating if it occured among vaccine recipients, but would be exactly what you would expect if it happened only within the placebo group.

See https://www.niaid.nih.gov/sites/default/files/unblindingindividuals.pdf

I think it would be problematic and unethical of the individual participant’s status were not unblinded at the point of illness – because that status would be important to the person’s diagnosis and treatment.

And there would be no logical reason at all to modify or halt a trial if an illness popped up on a placebo-recipient, because by definition that could not be causally related to to the vaccine being trialed.