Interested in UW

<p>So I'm pretty interested in Wisconsin because of the awesome science programs and the whole great college town thing and good sports and everything. I'm going to visit this summer and I'm fairly certain I could get accepted. My first choice is definitely UNC-CH and then University of Michigan (my fall back is my state flagship, University of Missouri-Columbia aka Mizzou). Anyway, I have a lot of alums at Mizzou and already qualify for a scholarship through my ACT score there. My parents most definitely make enough money that I wouldn't qualify for need based financial aid at Wisconsin (or any of these places for that matter). So I'm worried that I'll pretty much be forced to go to Mizzou (if I get accepted to Chapel Hill I'm pretty much set on going there no matter what). ALSO I've been getting more information via the website about Wisconsin and the dorms there look kinda eyesore. It seems like a main complaint about the dorms is that there is not very much room in the rooms, but thats absolutely no concern to me. My concern is that they seem kinda urban or whatever. So my first concert in a nutshell is What kind of merit based aid could I get OOS at Wisconsin? and also What's the campus/dorms like at Wisconsin?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Unfortunately you will most likely get nothing for OOS merit aid. Once you are within a department in school and produce some grades you might get something, but not much right off the bat. The dorms here are a great experience and you can check out other threads for specifics on them.</p>

<p>The only dorms that would seem ‘urban’ to me are the highrise S.E. dorms. The lakeshore dorms not at all. The UW housing website has lots of info on the dorms.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I think it really depends on what dorm you live in. But to generalize, Lakeshore dorms are much quieter than Southeast dorms. Also, while all dorms have mostly freshmen, some dorms have more upper classmen (such as Tripp, which has no freshmen AFAIK). Some dorms, like Adams, have mostly single rooms, which tends to attract older students and thus tend to be more peaceable.</p>

<p>It’s tough to make blanket statements even about particular dorms since a lot of it depends on what the people are like on the floor you live on.</p>

<p>Hope that helps a bit though.</p>

<p>Also UW has several privately owned dorms that offer additional choices and singles. The housing choices at UW are fine. Most people move into off campus housing after one year anyway.</p>

<p>Ok so this is swaying me more I like it! I must’ve just seen some crappy videos or something of the campus! What sort of options would I have as far as finances go? Like declaring residency a possibility? Cryto, you mentioned getting aid from departments once there? Just need this to sway the parents</p>

<p>You will definitely **not **be able to declare residency unless you take a year off from school. It’s just not possible otherwise, and you’ll probably have to lie to do it anyway. [Office</a> of the Registrar - University of Wisconsin-Madison - Residence for Tuition Purposes](<a href=“http://registrar.wisc.edu/residence_for_tuition_purposes.htm]Office”>http://registrar.wisc.edu/residence_for_tuition_purposes.htm) You cannot be in the state solely for education, and you will be.</p>

<p>I know a girl who managed to do this. She took a year off from school, lived in an apartment, worked 60 hours a week, and I believe she had to reapply for admission, and now she is a resident of Wisconsin, not her home state. Most people don’t go this route, but if you’re seriously considering it, know that it’s not easy to do, and it will take you a year, a year in which you won’t be attending school. </p>

<p>Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but declaring residency is, rightly so, a difficult process.</p>

<p>Otherwise, for loans, have you considered applying for a Parent PLUS loan? I don’t know exactly you’re situation or if that’s what you’re looking for, but there’s more info on it on the UW Office of Financial Aid website.</p>

<p>You need to explore the Res Halls website. There are urban-Southeast and Lakeshore dorm areas. So many different sizes, locations, building styles. You can click on several different subsites to get all sorts of information.</p>

<p>My daughter is a freshman this year at Wisconsin, we are also from Missouri. She absolutely loves it. I think you really have to visit Wisconsin if you are interested…it beats Mizzou by a mile. Wisconsin’s campus is beautiful. The fact that you have a large spread out campus, bike trails, the lake, and the city(not too big) is a great mix.</p>

<p>When she initially looked into dorms, she thought she wanted to be in the lakeshore dorms, after visiting a second time (after she was accepted) she decided that she wanted to be in the southeast dorms. It was all about location for her. She loves where she is, is having a great time and has been able to maintain good grades. She has learned how to work hard, play hard! She is also excited about the many different options for off campus housing.</p>

<p>Also something to consider (in her opinion) is Greek life. She has several friends at Mizzou and the felt like they absolutely needed to be a part of the Greek life, which is fine if that is something you are interested in. I know almost all the freshman from here felt like they needed to rush the week before school started. At Madison, she felt like she could take her time and decide if the Greek life was going to be something she wanted to take part in. The percentage of students at Mizzou that are involved in Greek life is quite high and the fact that they all rushed the week before school started sounded like a lot of pressure.</p>

<p>She was also very excited about being in a more liberal atmosphere…her experience in Madison is very different than her experience in high school. I know she felt like it would not have been much of a change from high school had she gone to Mizzou. (Her high school sends a large number of kids to Mizzou.) She also is enjoying meeting people from all over…Chicago, NY, Arizona, California, Florida, etc. </p>

<p>As Pathetique said, declaring residency is almost impossible (rightly so). I know it is quite easy at Mizzou, but not so for Wisconsin. </p>

<p>As far as getting in, I don’t now what your stats are (you must have at least a 31 ACT to get some tuition help at Mizzou), Wisconsin isn’t a for sure thing. If you look at the acceptance thread, it is amazing the candidates that are not admitted. </p>

<p>Good luck on where ever you choose to go!</p>

<p>From CC past posters info I would not count on any merit aid from UW. A few students will get some, but not many. UW does not offer aid automatically based on any set criteria except need.</p>

<p>THANK YOU SO MUCH bobsparent! That is pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear about Madison! I mean as long as it’s not REALLY expensive, I think I can justify fully to my parents why I want to go there. I’m visiting this summer so I’ll definitely be seeing the campus! And wis75 ya that seems to be what I’m hearing but I guess it can’t be too expensive if a good amount of out of staters go there!</p>

<p>Everything is relative. For some the financial comparison is with their instate schools, for others it is with private schools without much aid. There are plenty of students all over the country who go to their instate school due to costs. Those whose parents have more money have more options available to them, as always.</p>