International student, female, Chinese international school [IGSE 3A* 4A 1C, AS 2A 1C, A-level predicted 3A* 2A 1B]

Some of the schools on your list cost nearly $90,000 a year. That’s $360,000 for undergrad. Do your parents have those funds? You will need to complete a certificate of finances to get a student visa to study here that documents that you already have the funding for four years of college at the ready. If you do not have that, you won’t be getting a student visa.

This money can include already approved financial aid from colleges, already approved loans, and current income. It can NOT include money you don’t have now.

That wouldn’t be a problem, though from the information I searched online, the tuition of the schools that I chose is around 60k to 70k. Can you specify which school has the tuition of nearly 90k a year?

You need to look at the full cost of attendance including tuition, fees, room, board and expenses. Not just tuition.

NYU…$90,000

Fordham $85,000

Pepperdine over $90,000

1 Like

Got it! I really freaked out when I thought you said the tuition is 90k because that would be a huge number. I am okay with the full cost of attendance at NYU (as long as I could get in there:)

That’s nice that you are OK…but my question is…do your parents have $360,000 USD sitting in the bank that is dedicated to your college costs…because that is what you will need to get a student visa at these expensive colleges.

@MYOS1634 your thoughts?

I’m not an adcom…but it seems to me that you have a decent chance of acceptance at most of these colleges. I think the possible exception is NYU which has become quite competitive, and especially so for international students.

1 Like

yes they are running a company in China and making decent profit so that shall be all right

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Anyone of these school will be alright because these are basically the schools that I want to attend:)

Then…apply and see. There really isn’t much else to say. As a full pay student, you could have an edge at need aware colleges.

1 Like

You might benefit from considering Denison.

2 Likes

A-levels are well-known and your As/A*s will be valued.

You have a good shot at UCs. With so many A Level As and A*s, you should get into at least one andbprobably 2 or 3 or more… UC Davis, mentioned upthread, is a sleeper hit of sorts - college town with its own culture, excellence in STEM, fewer problems that plague UCB or UCSC (housing, in particular.) Fingers crossed for UCLA since it sounds like the best “fit” among them - acceptance rate makes it too unpredictable though. Do you know your UC uncapped fully weighted and capped GPA?

Fordham is strong for business/finance but not so much for STEM. It’s a safety for you but perhaps consider a university that’s better for Math while being located in a city.

Pepperdine is not likely to be a good fit for an atheist - they take faith seriously and expect students to follow specific creed principles that inform allowed or required behavior.

UIUC is very different from your choices -you seem to like cities and UIUC is in a nice college town but it’s not urban at all.
If your school places at UT Austin well, it’s probably a better fit for you.
Colleges located in cities or within easy access to a city include UChicago, Northwestern, and dePaul; UMN Twin Cities and Macalester; BU, Northeastern (I’m surprised you dont have these 2); Bryn Mawr/Haverford, Penn; UPitt; JHU, Goucher.
(UMN, Pitt, Goucher, and dePaul would be safeties; Macalester, Northeastern are matches; the others are reaches). Note that those are all different in terms of size, vibe, etc.

You stand a decent chance at NYU but no certainty by any means. ED2&full pay will help.

1 Like

OMG thanks for that answer! really appreciate it :slight_smile: yes I have actually considered applying to BU and Northeastern but I heard they are very strict about rd students and the acceptance rate is around 7% to 15%(according to Google) not sure about it though

Yes, neither BU nor Northeastern would be anything but reaches but they’d seem good fits. Depending on whether you like the co-op system or would rather attend a more traditional college, you could pick one or the other. You’d likely enjoy BU if you like NYU and the co-op system is a great way to get integrated into the US corporate system, understand the North American business culture, and network, something I assume your parents would really appreciate.

1 Like

Thanks you! I think I will apply to both schools, especially when Northeastern doesn’t require supplemental essay!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.