Is a visit worth it?

<p>I really like the University of Miami and it is my #2 school. My #1 school is Georgetown and it is very hard to get into, so there's a good chance I'll be a Hurricane. </p>

<p>Would a visit to the school be worthwhile? I'm from the Washington D.C. area so I would have to fly in to visit and probably stay in Miami a few nights. That seems like a lot of $$$ to spend on just a visit. What do you think?</p>

<p>Since your chances of going to Miami are so great, you really should visit to make sure it is a good fit for you.</p>

<p>I have a 1990 SAT with 670M/670CR/650W and a 4.15 GPA. I am trying to improve my SAT to 2150 for a good shot at GTown. I have good ECs too. Do you think that’s a good chance?</p>

<p>I am interested in the Medical Scholars Program and the economics major. Does anyone have any things to say about either one of those?</p>

<p>im from the dmv area too and ive never even been to miami but i plan on going to the school.</p>

<p>I’ve had quite a few friends in the MSP and they all seem to enjoy it quite a lot. Unfortunately I think the minimum cutoff is 700 for each section (not writing, of course) on the SAT, so retaking and scoring higher could help in that regard too.</p>

<p>WRT visiting, I definitely think you should visit every school you’re considering. I did that for all the undergrad schools I was legitimately considering attending, and the same thing with the law schools that I considered. I think it’s absolutely vital, especially when you’re trying to make decisions between very similar schools.</p>

<p>And honestly, what’s the worst case scenario? You don’t like the school and you have to stay in beautiful Miami for a few nights? The horror! :wink: Visiting seems like a win-win scenario to me.</p>

<p>On the website the MSP says a requirement of 1300 on math/cr. I got a 1340 on those. You may be thinking of the HPME program which requires a 2100 and you apply to it from high school. I think for the MSP you just need a 3.7 GPA after freshman year and got accepted with the 1300 SAT.</p>

<p>Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely try to fly down some time this summer.</p>

<p>You’re right, my bad :)</p>

<p>If you end up deciding to go to Miami you’ll be spending nearly $240,000 on an education; for that much money, if you can afford it, a short visit (fly in early in the morning, leave on the last flight that night) would seem to make sense. Alternatively, wait until you’ve been admitted and then fly down for a visit.</p>

<p>Agreed with vince. Wait until you are admitted, then come down to visit. Your #1, #2, #3, etc schools may change over time. Apply to all the schools. See where you are accepted and consider finances (any merit aid), then decide where you may want to visit. You don’t have to visit all. </p>

<p>Do you have financial safeties, which may turn out to be top choices anyway?</p>

<p>My family income is around $300,000/yr and my dad has been saving for 18 years. My dad works at Georgetown and that’s where he wants me to go. But they have a 16% acceptance rate, so if I can’t get in, I think Miami is my next top choice. Cost is somewhat a factor. I do expect some merit aid if I was admitted to Miami. Financial safety school would most likely be University of Maryland College Park, in-state. However, I don’t really like the school.</p>

<p>As a parent of a student who will be attending UMiami as a freshman in the fall, I highly, highly recommend visiting UMiami–not this summer, but in the fall when school is in session. You really will not get a feel for any campus unless you can see the student body, sit in on classes, talk with profs. Also, many schools my D was sure were her top choices completely fell off the list after visiting. A visit makes all the difference. </p>

<p>If time/cost is an issue, wait until you’re accepted. It does make for a more stressful college process, though–especially if you are applying to just a few schools. </p>

<p>Also, you need not spend several nights. If you fly in early one morning and depart late the next evening, you will have enough information to know whether or not to keep it on your short list. You don’t want your initial visit to be too long because you will get a gut feel pretty quickly. We made the mistake of booking a three-day stay in a college town and within ten minutes my D knew it was not the school for her. Thankfully, we had plenty to do as tourists.</p>