Is Fish camp mandatory? is going to the last student conference bad?

<p>My daughter has to do the last student conference due to scheduling issues. Plus, she does not have time for fish camp. Frankly, she really doesn't want go to to fish camp. But she also works and does not want to ask for time off for that. Her only job is during the summer so she needs the hours more than she needs something like fish camp.</p>

<p>Fish camp is not mandatory. </p>

<p>The last conference is not bad. My boyfriend went to the last one last year, He got the exact schedule he wanted. Just make sure she knows what she wants before she goes. Apparently it is really hectic and if you don’t know what you want you probably won’t get good ones. </p>

<p>My oldest went to the second to last NSC ( sorority rush conflicts with the last one) followed by fish camp. You need to be really flexible with your schedule desires if you go to one of the last NSCs - although they open some classes each session, many are already full. My second child went to the first NSC, much easier. Regarding Fish camp - both of mine went. They really liked it, it is pure fun and optional. My oldest did not really need the contacts she made at Fish Camp since she immediately joined a sorority. However, my youngest depended on those contacts for the first few weeks of school. They also get together after Fish Camp, for dinners/lunch etc. in their small groups they’re organized into during camp. It makes a big school much smaller and having an older student give you guidance was really helpful. </p>

<p>Fish camp is not mandatory. I didn’t go two years ago due to summer classes. Plus wasn’t into that stuff. Got into aggie spirit already before my nsc! :slight_smile: at least in biology major, i made friends and got contacts pretty quickly since everyone is trying to survive freshmen year. </p>

<p>I wouldn’t skip Fish Camp if at all possible. I wasn’t into “all that stuff” back in my day when I went to Fish Camp back in 1984. It was a once in a lifetime experience. Memories that stayed with me to this day. Can you succeed without it…sure you can. However, my belief is that you would be short changing yourself. </p>

<p>As to the NSC, I’ve always heard they save an equal block of classes for each conference. Plan, plan, plan! I have gone through this twice with 2 kids. Have plan A, B,C,D in case a class fills up. Have an alternate schedule figured out.</p>

<p>^ i agree. Scheduling is crazy. My advice: have your myedu.com account open while scheduling on howdy account at nsc, so that you could see how your schedule fits if each alternate didn’t work. I got my schedule in 15 minutes while most stayed for 30+ min still figuring out.</p>

<p>So anybody have an idea as to when one should accept A&M’s offer in order to ensure they got a choice in NSC date? Like I’m wondering if by waiting to hear back from TAMU’s scholarship decisions I’ll be disadvantaged with choice of NSC date…</p>

<p>My S has been accepted to both UT and TAMU engineering. Like Smooth76, his decision will be heavily influenced by scholarships. Since TAMU is his preferred university, he went ahead and accepted the offer and registered for the earliest NSC. He has already received one TAMU scholarship, but we are hopeful there will be many more. UT has selected him to interview for the Terry Foundation. If for some reason UT comes up with more scholarships, he will have to discuss it with TAMU. </p>

<p>My recommendation is do not wait. If TAMU is your preferred choice, then move forward and only change your mind if another school offers something you cannot turn down.</p>

<p>I thought accepting the offer was binding? You’re saying you can change schools even after registering for the NSC?</p>

<p>I have never seen anything that says it is binding. In fact, in our case, I specifically called and expressed concern because my child cannot go there without financial aid. They said we would not get a refund on the $100 NSC fee, but it would be fine otherwise. Now I am worried…I think I will call and ask again, in case I get a different answer.</p>

<p>@lmkh70 Let us know what you find out.</p>

<p>You will not get a refund for the NSC fee, but the offer of acceptance is not binding. You can change schools at anytime in the process. It happens quite often. :slight_smile:
Good luck!</p>