Is going to a CC to make up for slacked off HS years a good idea?

<p>In my sophmore and junior years, I really slacked off, never studied, rarely did HW, and ended with a 3.09 GPA from those years. During the end of my junior year, I became aware of the importance of an education, and set forth an academically challenging senior year to prove to not only prove to myself that I was capable doing well in the advanced classes, but to get a small feel for the harder classes awaiting me in college. So now that I time has come, my GPA and SAT score (2040) is capable of getting me into the lower tier UCs, if I did so choose to go to those. I’m just wondering if it would be wiser as an overall choice for the life to go to a CC for 2 years, put in the effort I’m finally putting in now during my senior year, get a high GPA, and then transfer to a more prestigious UC afterwards. Any criticism is highly appreciated.</p>

<p>Well, its possible to transfer from UC to UC; i know people that have done it. I know a guy who transferred from UCR to UCB.</p>

<p>If you have your mind set when you go into a lower UC to transfer out to a better UC, then its highly plausible.</p>

<p>Your idea of going to CC for 2 years and then transfer to a UC is an excellent idea. As far as transfer goes, UC gives first priority to CC students. You can also save a lot of money the first 2 years. Make sure you look into guarantee transfer agreements from your CC to a particular UC so you know the path to go forward.</p>

<p>I think it's a great idea.</p>

<p>By all means, go for it. However, everyone and their brother has exactly the same plan as you. If money is not a problem, I would go to a lower tier UC, and then try and transfer out, so even if things don't go as planned, you are still at a UC. Some lower UC's (SC and UCM for sure) have the program where you go there for 2 years and UCB/UCLA for 2 years.</p>

<p>Also, my local CC (CCSF) has to be one of the dreariest and saddest places on earth.</p>

<p>If you are determined and don't slack off, you can do it.</p>

<p>Many of the students in my high school go to the community college and ONLY 7% of those students actually transfer.</p>