Is it worth trying to self-study for AP credit?

<p>My son has a few AP classes that he will get credit for (physics, world history, language and composition). With UA being so generous with AP credits, is it worth it for him to try to self-study for something (that wouldn’t be too difficult) to try to get a few more credits?</p>

<p>His major will be computer science but he doesn’t have any AP math or comp sci classes he can take in high school.</p>

<p>sure if he thinks he could do it. I don’t know if he will feel strong enough to self-study and pass AP Cal…and then also feel strong enought to skip to Cal II.</p>

<p>I would think that he’d want to self-study for classes that aren’t really part of his major, but are just “core Gen Ed”…like maybe AP Gov. </p>

<p>Did he get at least a 4 in AP English Comp?</p>

<p>You might want to look over the Core Req’ts for those in the College of Eng’g…</p>

<p>[Core</a> Curriculum – College of Engineering | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/engineering/]Core”>http://registrar.ua.edu/academics/core-curriculum/engineering/)</p>

<p>This is a great link for the 2010-2012 UA Catalog.</p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>As an alternative to or in addition to AP courses. Check out this link for CLEP credit. The student studies for a one-hour multiple choice test. Not all schools will accept CLEP but Bama does. </p>

<p>[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Edit: It looks like I posted the same link but it does lead to the CLEP portion. ;D</p>

<p>Depending on the courses he wants to self study, I would suggest that he consider taking CLEP (College Level Examination Program) exams. They are offered very frequently, last 90 minutes, and are multiple choice. For foreign languages, UA can grant more credit than is offered for the AP exam and the CLEP exams don’t carry the requirement that one has to take the next level of the language to earn credit for lower level courses which is required for those that earn credit through UA’s language placement exams.</p>

<p>So…if he could pass a few CLEP tests, could he apply the credits towards the “Free Electives” requirements? And, if so, could he then fill his schedule with other classes that might move him toward a minor or second major?</p>

<p>If I understand correctly, the OOS Presidential Scholarship will cover 16 cr per semester…so it would be best (of greatest value) to try to get close to 16 cr each term…without going over (because we would have to pay for extra credits.)</p>

<p>Does anyone know if an OOS Presidential Scholarship recipient would pay OOS or IS rates for extra credit hours?</p>

<p>I thought the Presidential credit limit had been changed to 20. Was it lowered again?</p>

<p>I think you’re right…just read that on one of the thread’s here. Pretty cool…although it seems like it would be very difficult to carry much more than 16 cr anyways. It does allow room for music/band credits,though.</p>

<p>Yes…the Presidential covers 20 credits…</p>

<p>and, those with the UA Scholar with the Engineering “bump” also have that benefit.</p>

<p>My kids were able to use those extra credits to “pay for” a summer class. Bama “charged” the class to the Fall semester and the scholarship picked it up. Can’t say that that will always happen…but we’ve done it twice.</p>

<p>Back to AP question - I know of a child (not mine) who took an AP class at school yet did not get to take the test due to financial reasons. Does anyone know if she would be eligible to take the test now and how she would go about that?</p>

<p>Is the child still in hs? If so, he can contact his GC, pay the money, and have her order the exam to take in May. </p>

<p>Which class is this? Is it also offered as a CLEP? If so, that might be better.</p>

<p>Yes, she’s a junior now. This was a class she took last year. I think if she waits until next May she’ll have forgotten even more of the class content. I don’t remember what class it was - I just found out that she didn’t take the test a few weeks ago. Wish I would have known at the time and would have given her the money.</p>

<p>AP exams are only offered in May. However, if the class has a CLEP version, then she could take that very soon. See if you can find out which class it is. </p>

<p>Scroll down for CLEP…
[University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Thanks - as always, you’re most helpful.</p>

<p>@m2ck Can you comment on how your sons arranged to have a summer class “charged” to the fall semester? DD is thinking about taking a class this summer. I get the feeling she doesn’t want to leave!</p>

<p>In both cases it was an Honors class, so it was arranged thru the Honors College.</p>

<p>What does Bama take in terms of AP credits? Do they accept 3’s on AP exams and for what courses?</p>

<p>Tommy, [University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama) lists the required AP scores to get credit for certain courses.</p>

<p>Officially, summer courses are not supposed to be charged to the fall semester bill. If the same course is offered in both the summer and the fall, UA is more likely to allow such an arrangement, particularly if the same instructor is teaching the course during both terms.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>True…but in both of our cases, neither class was offered during the school year.</p>

<p>Thanks, m2ck and Sea_Tide</p>