Is there any chance for my daughter to get into brown-risd dual degree?

BG: we are in Germany. my daughter is in her DP last year, which is her 12th grade. she is taking bio, art, and English HL. Math AA, Econ, German SL. She loves art and bio, she wants to involve to bio-art dual degree.
question is: how much DP score she needs to get into this 5 years degree? she got 40/45 in last semester.
how is the future of this degree?

Deleted

There are caveats to the dual degree program.

Two things keep coming up in forums over the years about the dual degree program.
1)The art program is very demanding and requires a lot of time. Art degrees are a 24/7 pursuit. Most students do not have time to pursue a separate degree.
2) Classes/scheduling do not align very well between the two schools to get the classes you need.

1 Like

The Brown/RISD Dual Degree Program is highly selective for all applicants and even more so if your daughter isn’t a US citizen. Applicants must be accepted to both schools and are evaluated independently for a BA or BS from Brown and a BFA from RISD.

For Brown the most important admissions factors are academic performance, recommendations, extracurriculars (including talents), and essays. For RISD, all of the above are considered, but the portfolio is weighed very heavily.

Academically rigorous American colleges know and respect the IB diploma. If your daughter won’t have her final exam results before applying to US colleges then they will usually consider projected results (if letter grades are not available); however each college has its own standards.

I would urge you and your daughter to read through all the admissions information on both schools’ websites.

I would also note that Brown has a good studio art program of its own, leading to a 4 year BA. Brown students may take courses at RISD, though as mentioned scheduling art studios and science labs can be difficult. The Brown/RISD 5 year program is arranged to avoid scheduling conflict.

In the US, some colleges/universities offer a BA (Bachelor of Art) in studio art; some offer a BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts). As a general statement the BA will allow more flexibility to double major than the BFA. Again, it varies from school to school.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.