Is there any reason not to apply EA?

I expect to be done with my applications soon so I was planning to apply EA to every school that offers it. Is there any reason not to do that?

The only reason to hold off would be if you needed your first semester senior grades to show an upward trend. If you have a solid GPA, go for it! My D had all her applications done early too. It helped alleviate a lot of stress.

6 Likes

I agree…go for it. My kids both had all but their applications done by October 15, and they said their senior year was so nice…without that hanging over their heads. Both did add one school in November but adding one was their choice. And was not big deal.

1 Like

Assuming you didn’t apply somewhere REA/SCEA, the main reasons would usually be if you thought you needed more time to submit your best application, or if you wanted to wait on other possible early notifications before paying to apply (if there is an application fee).

One thing to keep in mind about this though: pretty much all the popular public schools (Michigan, UIUC, Purdue, Maryland, Virginia, Georgia Tech,…) only announce EA results in mid to late January, which won’t work for this strategy as RD deadlines are typically in early January.

3 Likes

Agree…the only reason not to apply EA would be if you think the application would be materially improved by waiting a few months (ex. expecting a notable new achievement, feel the need to show first semester grades etc.).

FWIW my kids applied EA and rolling whenever possible (read what is allowable at each school). If you can get an acceptance early in the process it takes a lot of stress off.

3 Likes

That’s right, obviously.

Here is a list of some dates:

Just looking through, at least most of the ED notification dates are before RD. Much more hit or miss with EA.

OP and/or future readers of this thread may not be up to speed on decision dates, hence I was pointing it out.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t mean “obviously” as in it didn’t need to be said, I meant it more in the, “Oh, that is a true and important point, I am glad you mentioned it,” sense.

1 Like

Early admission that is affordable becomes a safety.

3 Likes

Our college counselors emphasized this – not just grades, but awards, prizes, etc. I think it probably also is worth considering the selectivity of the school. For some, the improvement may not matter.

On the flip side, for some students, EA decisions can be a helpful indicator of a need for realignment. Surprise deferrals/rejections might suggest that it’d be worth to adjust definitions of likely and match.

1 Like

I know it’s nice to apply early action and get an early decision. BUT it’s also VERY nice to have you college applications all done. You will be all finished and can enjoy your senior year (just make sure you submit your financial aid application materials when they become available for submission).

Having a senior year without applications hanging over your head is truly a gift to yourself.

Good luck. I hope you get it all done!

4 Likes

I’m curious about the prize/award advice. My daughter applied EA/rolling to all schools that offered it. She did end up winning an award during the fall semester and contacted the AOs directly to update them. In some ways, I actually think it was stronger by contacting them as it emphasized the award (in this case a national level award) vs being buried in an app that they have 10 minutes to read. I’m not sure I’d hold off on the chance of an award/prize.

3 Likes

Agree that what your D did will work well. But it 100% depends on the timing of an anticipated award. If a truly meaningful award/achievement is expected to happen after the EA decision date your process won’t work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.