International student
private high school
Male, Asian
Intended major(s): Computer Science, Data Science
GPA, Rank, and Test Scores

UW GPA: 4.0
Weighted GPA: 4.5 (out of 4.5)
Class rank: 1
SAT scores: 1500 (700 Reading and Writing, 800 Math)
Coursework

AP Computer Science A: 5
AP Computer Science Principles: 5
AP Environmental Science: 4
AP BC Calculus: 5 (also took AP AB Calculus and received a 5)
AP Physics: 4
AP Chemistry: 4
AP Statistics: 5
AP German: 5
Awards

Won the school science award in 2019 and 2020.
Won first place in the Scientific “Golden Bell” quiz competition in 2021.
Won the national Python Olympiad in 2023.
Placed fourth in the National Hackathon in 2023.
Placed fifteenth in the SHUTIS Olympiad in 2023.
Placed second in the Mazaalai Mathematics Olympiad in 2023.
won the Capital Combat Sambo Championship and placed 6th in the National Stage in 2019
Received the highest award from the Association of Teachers of General Education Universities of Mongolia.
Placed fifth in the national Java Olympiad.
Won the national programming contest with a team, and won the national hacking contest with a team in 2022.
Interned at Huawei.
i have been a member of the robotics team since middle school. i have competed in several competitions and have won several awards.
Received two special gifts from the Ministry of Digital Development, Communications and Mass Media. These gifts are similar to receiving two gifts from a combination of the FCC, NTIA, and the Department of Commerce in the United States.
Received a medal from the Ministry of Labor and Social Security. This medal is similar to the U.S. Department of Labor’s medal.
Leadership

Founded the informatics club at school.
Founded the hacking club.
Mentored younger students in programming.
Led a team of 5 students to develop a cutting-edge school management system that is still used by our high school.
Founded a mobile game company and contributed to 5 other companies.
Received 300 million tugrik investment for a renewable technology AI company from K-Village construction company.
Entrepreneurial

Declined to compete in the APIO and instead chose to participate in the Start-up 2023.
Received a grant of 20 million tugrik from Mstar.
Language Proficiency

Speaks Kazakh, German, Chinese (HSK level V), and English fluently.
Can write and read in Arabic.

What colleges are you interested in? Do you have a list, or are you looking for suggestions?

What is your ability to pay? Are you able to pay the full cost of college (how much?), or will you need financial aid?

I am not sure if I will be admitted to the top 10, but if I am, I will receive a full scholarship from the National Education Department.

Top 10 as defined by who?

If you’re going by the US News list of top CS undergraduate schools, the top 10 would not include Harvard, which seems to be where you want to go as per your other thread…

1 Like

Didn’t you defer at UChicago and already take a gap year? UChicago is a fantastic school (if affordable) - a T10 university. What were you other admission results last year?

Personally, I would not give up the chance to attend UChicago for the small chance you might get into a “more prestigious” school. Admission rates at T10 schools are generally under 10% (often under 5%) and likely half of that for international applicants. You are quite accomplished but the fact is there are more very well qualified applicants than spots available at the top colleges.

There is an saying…a bird in hand is worth two in the bush…and IMO UChicago is a pretty great bird to have in hand.

1 Like

No doubt Chicago is a fantastic school, but it seems like OP is chasing top 10 CS schools (which Chicago isn’t). But neither is Harvard as I mentioned above.

OP seems to be tageting overall percieved prestige…agree that Harvard (which OP is targeting per other post) is not a top 10 CS school.

Your chances are about the same as other students. By the time you apply, you will be in your second gap year having taken a deferral from Chicago for 2022-2023. Unless you attend University of Chicago for this fall, you won’t be starting college here until the 2024-2025 academic year.

International students are accepted in much smaller %ages at T10 (or any) colleges here than U.S. citizens or permanent residents (under 10% at the most). So…it’s an apply and see situation for you.

As a high school student, did you already apply to any others of these top 10 colleges as a high school student…and what was the outcome? If you were not accepted the first time, I personally wouldn’t expect a change in the outcome.

I still am flummoxed as to why you won’t be enrolling at University of Chicago…a very highly ranked school…if rankings matter that much to you.

This is simply a rehash of OP’s earlier thread. Users are welcome to post their thoughts there.

Closing

1 Like