Is there tension between instate + out of state

<p>I live in boston and i went to visit the uw and i really liked it, but i was told by a student there that the instaters and out of staters dont mix and infact the out of staters live in private dorms around the greek houses. Since i am out of state i would probably want to live there, but i kind of want to find a middle ground of both groups.</p>

<p>Is this at all true? Is there any groups at uw that bridge thegap?</p>

<p>There is some separation, but it’s more about stereotypes. Most people out of state do live in the private dorms, but there are lots of out-of-state people in the public dorms too. If you want a middle ground, I’d advise you more toward the public dorms, but the private ones are still a good option and you’re allowed to make friends everywhere, obviously. Clubs are open to everyone and you most likely would meet people from everywhere, same for classes. The Greek houses are a little separated by instate vs. out-of-state (some houses cater more to a Wisconsin/Midwest crowd and some are more “coastie”) but I was in a “coastie” house and I’m mostly from Wisconsin (spent six years living in Florida though). Idk, I don’t really fit into either group and yet I have a lot of friends from different places. </p>

<p>There is a “coastie” stereotype saying that the people from out-of-state stick together and are really snobby and also rich. But while you will see examples of this, most people are very friendly and don’t fit it at all. It’s nothing to really worry about. If you REALLY want to avoid the “coasties,” live in the public dorms. But you will be able to find all kinds of friends in the private dorms or wherever you choose to live.</p>

<p>It’s more the subject of jokes than actual tension, don’t worry about it.</p>

<p>This exists at every state U with large segments of people form other parts of the country. At Ivy schools it might be more rich preppies versus the super academic middleclass kids. Not a big deal to anyone really. In any environment likes tend to associate more with likes.</p>

<p>I mean, I just moved in yesterday, so I really don’t know if I’m a reliable source, haha, but I felt like when everyone was introducing themselves, the people who weren’t from Wisconsin, the Twin Cities, or Chicago were automatically seen as interesting, haha. Like, “Oh! You’re from New York? That’s so cool!” as opposed to the awkward “…Dousman, WI? Where’s that?”</p>

<p>There will only be friction if you choose to create it. A very small number of OOS students come with an attitude that their lifestyle is superior to the Midwest norms. Showing that your clothes et al are supposedly better than the locals, choosing to spend your time only with those from your area are not ways to be friendly. 99+ % of the students from anywhere mix well. I remember at SOAR overhearing an OOS- Illinois- mother talking about how her D would live in the private dorms, join the same sorority she was in… unusual. The family from Boston who came to SOAR- used it for their vacation trip- was nice. Your accent will be noticed.</p>

<p>Don’t worry about it. It can only be an issue if you choose it to be.</p>

<p>Fun map to play with. Click on a state and see how many students come from that state. Includes all UW students.</p>

<p>[Enrollments</a> By State](<a href=“http://registrar.wisc.edu/enrollments_by_state_swf.htm]Enrollments”>http://registrar.wisc.edu/enrollments_by_state_swf.htm)</p>

<p>In general, Wisconsin is getting popular with most states over time. In state is declining…</p>

<p>Fun map in the link. Note the scale- it varies from 500 (many states) to 30,000 (WI). It will be interesting to see future Minnesota data with any reciprocity changes.</p>

<p>This question comes up time and again, and UW boosters always find themselves bending over backwards to deny it. The expression “doth protest too much” comes to mind.</p>

<p>Particularly interesting that one of the responses basically says “this is only an issue if you don’t do more to act like us.” So much for embracing diversity.</p>

<p>nova has no knowledge- only responds with negative opinions. Known problem poster.</p>

<p>My D went from (obviously) New Jersey and loves it, lives now off campus with kids from, yes, Wisconsin. I have heard many jokes about coasties (called other names) at other bio ten schools too. A friend was a coastie at U Mich 15 years ago and talked about herself wearing high heels in winter. She thought it was funny too. Yes, people from other climates need to learn how to dress. I bought my daughter Sorels, she thought Uggs would work. Ha Ha. And yes, some OOS kids may have more money, 'cause it’s expensive to go out of state and someone has to pay it. However, they are there for a reason, and chose to go there.</p>

<p>kxc, I think the in-state enrollment decline is due to a not-so-subtle tweak in admissions over probably the last 3-4 years to incrementally raise the number of OOS students for financial reasons. This probably has been discussed before, but an extra $15K/per kid per year, times maybe 500+ is nothing to sneeze about, $7.5M. Hello.</p>

<p>I never heard of Sorels until my daughter’s East Coast roommate’s mom mentioned them during move in yesterday at Chad. What are they?</p>

<p>UW has had the same limit on OOS for many years-25% excluding Minn kids. They have just been better at hitting the goal recently with better OOS recruitment. Plus instate HS grads that qualify for UW are declining now.</p>

<p>See table on potential students from Wisconsin in this report.</p>

<p><a href=“http://apa.wisc.edu/Diversity/2008_Pipeline_Update.pdf[/url]”>http://apa.wisc.edu/Diversity/2008_Pipeline_Update.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Sorel is a brand of winter boot, made in Canada. They include versions good to -40 (C or F, take your pick).</p>

<p>I wish Madison would offer high achieving instate students merit scholarships. My NMF, 35 ACT, valedictorian child went somewhere else because he could get a comparable education with less debt. (He worked hard for the WI Academic Scholarship but chose to give it up to go out-of-state.)</p>

<p>The Wisconsin Academic Excellence Scholarship (WAES) is $2,250/year for four years; this amount has not increased since 1996 when tuition was $2,881/year.</p>

<p>It’s a shame, but the state does not have money to increase the scholarship. Every year the people at HEAB champion a proposal to increase the amount of the WAES but it is turned down.</p>

<p>I emailed Rep. Ballweg about this situation, explaining that talented in-state students leave Wisconsin for colleges and universities elsewhere as the WAES is very little incentive to attend in-state. This is part of the response I received from her office (7/13/2010):</p>

<p>“Rep. Ballweg is aware that the amount of the award has remained unchanged for over a decade. In past sessions, she introduced legislation that would have increased the dollar value of the AES, so that it was at least equal to the cost of one semester at U.W. Madison. Other proposals have been considered that would have increased the AES, then indexed to inflation or tuition increases.
Various parties have supported the increase in theory, but financially the change gained little traction. One of the biggest obstacles is the state’s current budget deficit, so there is little money available for increased spending on existing programs. In fact, many programs have had their funding frozen. The other concern from some higher education advocates is that need based funding is not keeping up with the increases in tuition. They are reluctant to support an increase in the AES, unless more funding is made available for need based financial aid.
The latest reports released by the Legislative Fiscal Bureau show our state’s budget deficit increasing, rather than declining. The Legislative Council Special Committee is going to be working on the assumption that there will be no new money for financial aid. The focus is going to be on the current programs and determining which programs are effective and which are not producing the intended results.
Again, I would encourage you to follow the work of the Legislative Council Special Committee on Review of Higher Education Financial Aid Programs. The meetings are open to the public, and anybody is welcome to watch the proceedings. Legislative Council will also post presentations and committee materials after each hearing. Full audio is also posted on the website after each meeting. It is also possible that Wisconsin Eye may provide live coverage or recorded video on their website.”</p>

<p>Most other publics have $$$ troubles too and have cutback on such merit aid. Indiana/Purdue did that last year. Many in college admin see merit aid as an unnecessary waste of money over need based aid. Nearly all internal scholarship fundraising is for need based aid.</p>