Is UM really all about South Beach and partying in Miami?

<p>So, UM looks pretty interesting, but when I start looking at reviews online, much of what I find refers to frequent visits to South Beach, and the night life in Miami...with some mentions thrown in about there being lots of rich kids there. I am hopeful that this doesn't really describe the overall vibe of UM. UM seems to have some great programs (looking at science related majors) and it seems to have attracted high achieving students. I would love to hear more about the academic side, and whether a nerd who has less than no interest in South Beach would fit in.</p>

<p>^You’re talking to one. I’m a self-admitted nerd (triple major in marine science, biology, and math), and proud to be one. I have never been to South Beach, and don’t really feel a need to. There are plenty like me who aren’t really into the whole clubbing night-life thing. Yes, there are a lot of parties. But really, you’ll get that at any school in the country. It’s very easy to find something else to do besides party or go to South Beach on the weekends, and it’s also very easy to find people who aren’t into that kind of thing. In terms of the average wealth of the kids who go here, yes, there are a lot of rich kids. That’s what you’ll find at a private school. But there are also a lot of people like me who wouldn’t be able to afford the school without a very generous scholarship. Miami is very good with financial aid and scholarships to students who wouldn’t necessarily be able to afford the school. Academically, the science programs at Miami are very rigorous.</p>

<p>The stereotype is somewhat true, yes, but the implied negative connotations of those stereotypes aren’t necessarily true. Yes there are plenty of wealthy kids here (it’s a private school, what do you expect), yes there are the kids who go out to the Grove and Miami and South Beach every single weekend, but these kids exist anywhere (just not all of them have the city of Miami at their disposal). </p>

<p>As for the kids who don’t live that life, there is plenty to do to - it really isn’t excluding if you don’t go out and party. </p>

<p>Academically, UMiami is insanely great and it’s not something I can convince you of, you just have to experience it.</p>

<p>I bumped Rob Rankin’s FAQ thread below yesterday specifically because I thought he answered this exact question beautifully with his compilation of quotes from many CC posters on this board.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=1121597[/URL]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=1121597&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>illinoismom: Thank you for posting that link. Very informative, but not surprising. There are all types at every college. My DS, who is quite academic and not a party-person, is confident that he will find “his people” at whatever school he goes to. UM is his #1 choice.</p>

<p>Marinebio444: You continue to be a great help throughout this application process. I remember what it was like for you last year and am happy to hear that you are doing well at UM.</p>

<p>My bro just graduated Umiami last year. His fresh/soph year he was in an accelerated 7 year med program but dropped it. (Regrets this decision to this day). He graduated it with several honors and several highly prestigious academic awards. He also worked as an academic advisor. To answer your point, Umiami is all about balance. The kids there know how to have a great time but also know how to work hard. I mean i remember always seeing Umiami kids in south beach but they weren’t always drinking or partying, they were also studying or meeting with professors. You got to understand no matter where you go there will be parties and there will be distractions but the its about how you control yourself. Dont back away from Miami because it is a “party pchool” because it really isn’t.</p>

<p>

This is pretty accurate. The same kids I see when I go out on the weekends are the same kids I see in the library on Sunday and throughout the week putting in several hours of work time to keep their balance. The kids who do nothing but party are the ones who slip, and the kids who do nothing but school work are the ones that burn out; it’s truly all about balance.</p>

<p>I have a friend at UM who doesn’t like to party. She’s more of the stay in and watch movies or hang out with friends type and she’s had no problem making friends and having fun at UM.
There really is something for everyone. South beach and parties are an option, but if you’re not into that, you’ll still find plenty of other fun things to do & students with similar interests to you.</p>

<p>Ugh I sorta hate this stereotype. Understand that Coral Gables is a quiet, scenic inland suburb of Miami that’s 20 minutes from downtown and 30 minutes from south beach, if you have a car. which freshmen traditionally don’t. there aren’t top 50 schools where the student body focuses entirely on partying. UM’s motto is pretty much “work hard, play hard”, and some people can tend to one side or the other of the balance. it depends on who you are</p>