Is Virginia Tech Physics good?

So I have already committed to going to Virginia Tech. I have focused my whole associates degree in mechanical engineering around me going to Virginia Tech and studying engineering.

I am now considering majoring in physics, but with VT pretty much being my only option for schools (going to UVA means taking like 6 extra liberal arts classes that I really don’t feel like taking), I feel like I am in a bad position.

I am wondering how good VT Physics is? I currently have a 3.97 in my associates of mechanical engineering and I graduate this semester, so I think I will be able to go to a very good grad school as long as I keep it up when I transfer. I just want to make sure that I’m not screwing myself over by going to VT for Physics instead of engineering.

I am interested in astrophysics and cosmology

Look up the Post Grad Survey on VT’s Career Services website. Mechanical engineering has many more ME graduates than Physics (although not everyone reports)… Visit or email the Physics department with questions. It would generally be much harder to transfer INTO engineering from Physics than vice versa… If you have any thoughts at all about still doing ME, could you potentially start in ME, minor in physics? Good luck.

Four years ago, my brother was looking for colleges that were good in physics and Virginia Tech was one of them. He was strongly considering going there, but he went to another college because they offered him a better scholarship. I don’t know if VT got better or worse in physics, but I think VT is a plausible choice for physics :slight_smile:

I went with my student to visit VA Tech Physics Department. They are the ONLY program @ VT that has a specific visit program called A Day In The Life Of A Physics Student or Physics Student For A Day - http://www.phys.vt.edu/students/day-in-physics-student.shtml

Diane Walker-Green, Director of Undergrad Physics, is WONDERFUL person, if you meet her you will know the VT Physics Program is the place you want and should be involved in. She has been around 12+ years, has tried to move on, but keeps coming back. She is the mother, mentor, administrator and friend you WANT and NEED at a larger University. Ms. Green will go the EXTRA mile to make sure both you and the VT Physics Department are successful a the end of the day. She is why the above program even exists.

This is a GREAT program that allows you to meet the members of the Physics Department and tour the facility.

I have been to a number of other schools and I really liked what I saw at VT. If I was going to school, I would have chosen the VT Physics Program!

There is a Astrophysics minor and they have a lot of Research opportunities available.

I would say you would actually be better off at VT or any other larger state school for Physics for the ability to get involved.

The program is small, as I recall only about 250 students in the Physics program and they graduate about 50-60 Physics Majors, however, some switch majors for many reasons, but I can tell you I was impressed and liked what I saw. I believe the VT Physics program is quickly becoming a rising star. My student is waiting on acceptance to VT for Physics, has already been accepted to Penn State Physics program but really wants to go to VT. I feel my students chances are good to be accepted to VT, based on Penn State being a bit more selective, however, we shall see.

I will probably update if and when my student is accepted to the VT Physics Program.