It really sucks that roommates cannot stay together

<p>My son and one of his roommates have housing scholarships. A third roommate (son of CC poster) does not have a housing scholarship, but luckily got housing for next year. They all want to stay together next year, and they are pulling in a kid who currently lives across the hall in RSE and who likewise does not have a housing scholarship.</p>

<p>These guys are all great friends. I think is sucks that by the time their third year rolls around, they will have to split up. (I know, I know… my kid could always forfeit his housing scholarship and they could live together off campus… but would you do that?)</p>

<p>When I was in college back in the 80’s, upperclassmen did NOT live on campus. It was considered social suicide. Oh how things have changed. Now they all want to stay.</p>

<p>btw… If anybody sees a grumpy looking guy in an LSU shirt on campus this weekend, it’s probably me.</p>

<p>There really needs to be a UA-sponsored “roommate finder” for upper classmen, for such situations.</p>

<p>Group hug for slippy when we see him moping around UA this weekend.</p>

<p>I think we’re going to make the assumption in the fall that there will not be housing in Fall 2014 for rising juniors, and therefore make plans for off-campus housing, but I still wonder if things may be different with Presidential II opening up. I hope at some point Housing will be able to provide some guidance.</p>

<p>Agree, slippy, this just breaks my heart. My son is not only losing his best friend and “brother” but also the neighboring suite who he has become very close to. Son has the housing scholarship and was even willing to take his internship money from last summer to pay for his housing, but I could not let him do that. Also, when I pointed out to him that not living on campus, he wouldn’t have a dorm room to go back to, to take a nap, eat, watch TV, relax, when he’s got those days when he has an 8 AM class, then a 2 PM lab, he realized he did want to stay on campus, paid for or not, and was glad he did have that option. I agree, there should be some sort of upperclassman roommate finder because of this shakeup, as I am finding out that there are a lot of kids in similar situations, where they’re lacking a fourth for a suite, and fear they will get the Brosef that my son got in his suite this year.</p>

<p>Nobody should be losing friends over this. People can still be friends, close friends, and not be suitemates.</p>

<p>Kind of wishing it was looking for a 4th in DS’s case. He has housing scholarship, none of his roommates do and none of them got a housing offer for next year…he has to find three.</p>

<p>No big deal for him but we heard no real roommate complaints so we were hoping most of them could stick together.</p>

<p>Same scenario for my DS. He got housing due to a scholarship and they didn’t. He will be a junior next year and is stressed out.</p>

<p>maybe some of the CC guys can hook up to fill suites. not as great as having your best buds, but better than getting a random slob (or a few random slobs).</p>

<p>Yes, my son will also have housing next year. One of his roommates moved out after last semester and the 2 remaining are moving off campus. We could perhaps get them to meet maybe so they can see if they’d like to room together.</p>

<p>Anybody technical enough to quickly put together a facebook page for the housing scholarship kids? I know my son is looking for roommates for the honor housing. I have told if he wanted I could try to find someone on CC and he wasn’t happy with my interference. However, if we could advertise the facebook page on CC I know he probably would look at it, and maybe even try to get a roommate. (My son isn’t the most outgoing, totally a stereotypical CS personality.) When do the kids pick their rooms? I know my son is a upcoming sophomore, but he has junior status right now?</p>

<p>i am sure one of the boys could do it. any kid smart enough for a housing scholarship should be able to do that. :)</p>

<p>then you moms can tell them to go join the group.</p>

<p>Slippy, we are in the same situation. Our 4 would love to stay together (at least as of right now) and we have already lost a little sleep over the probable break up of the Fab 4.</p>

<p>The upcoming housing situation does not make sense to me from a business perspective. To alleviate the housing shortage, the school could offer those with a housing scholarship a sum to choose an off campus apartment. Let’s say $625 per month for 12 months (cost of 4 bedroom room at East Edge), or $7500.</p>

<p>UA charges $8800 for two semesters for a 4 person honors suite. That’s a SAVINGS to the school of $1300 per student. Could be more of a savings if they offered a stipend or maybe $500 per month, or $6k, letting the students make the choice of staying on campus (because that’s what they were promised) or moving off. </p>

<p>And yes, they will still be friends, but it is NOT the same.</p>

<p>yes, class2012mom, that math makes sense to me. if they could offload some of the housing scholarship kids and fill the dorm rooms with paying kids, you would think it would be a net gain for them.</p>

<p>it doesn’t solve the problem of those who still WANT to stay on campus but are being split up because of some not getting an on campus room, but a solution like that seems like it makes sense money-wise, for UA.</p>

<p>I agree, Mike, does not solve the issue for those who want to stay on campus but at least it would be an option for kids to stay together.</p>

<p>I realize that dorms are expensive and hard to build, but I believe this is all the result of poor planning on the university’s part. Instead of slow, steady, controlled growth, the school allowed (and indeed invited) unbridled growth over the last 10 years. So they now are getting these kids from all over the country (including many high achievers) and they have no place to put them.</p>

<p>D went to the housing page to get her proxy code and it is gone and states that she can’t continue with recontracting at this time!!?? I’m assuming it is because they are preparing for the “stay put” portion of room selection tomorrow, but I would feel 100% better if someone else is also seeing this. She had a proxy code last week, but didn’t write it down.</p>

<p>Slippy, why is it assumed that this non-scholarship roommate will no longer have housing?</p>

<p>Oh, dear, that disappearing proxy code again. I remember that happened in years past. I was out of town when housing was done and was not able to print out the page, like I usually do. I made sure to print the page as soon as I got home. Since my son and his suitemate are being pulled into another room, a mirror image on the other side of the hall, I’m hoping they remember to get their proxy codes to the “puller inner”.</p>

<p>What a week it will be. Big tests in all classes, the career fair, and picking the room.</p>

<p>I can hardly wait for Spring Break to give my big guy a hug!</p>

<p>While some of you have encountered non-scholarship students wanting to stay on campus, the truth is that most students don’t want to stay on campus. It’s not “poor planning” on the schools fault :rolleyes: The school planned based on the realities that most kids WANT to move off campus to get away with basic campus rules, maybe live with a SO, or whatever. </p>

<p>Instead of being part of the “my poor child” drama, parents need to be using this time to explain to their kids that this is all part of life. You’re not always going to have your besties within a few feet of you. You figure out what will be best and move on. If friends move off-campus, then your socializing will be a little different. You can still meet for social events, lunch and dinner, and still visit at each other’s dorms/apts. </p>

<p>Drama begins at home.</p>