It really sucks that roommates cannot stay together

<p>

</p>

<p>Thanks. I guess what I’m wondering is what makes a student a RISING junior or senior. Does that mean the credit hours necessary for the next classification will be earned in the upcoming semester? Or, for instance, is every student who is currently classified a junior (even if they were at the very bottom of the number of necessary credits), a rising senior?</p>

<p>My daughter is a current freshman, who decided to move off campus. It was really very easy and stress free. </p>

<p>I went to a college were most everyone lived on campus, so I was hoping for the same for her. When all the worry and drama began regarding recontracting, it became clear that 4 years on campus might not happen. So being the organized planner that I am, I went into action. </p>

<p>Our main goal was to locate an apartment within walking distance. I did my research, identified 4 complexes and told my daughter to contact them, set appointments to view the units then call me to discuss. Keep in mind that at this point it was all “just in case” we could not recontract. However, after she saw the units and we discussed all if the pros and cons we decided to not recontract. </p>

<p>We live 1,500 miles away. I have raised my daughter to be a strong confident young women. She went into each complex with a list of questions and I believe ended up with a good home for the next three years. Not to mention, no summer move out and a free place to stay when we visit. </p>

<p>It’s not the end if the world, just the next phase of their lives, and when she needs to find her next apartment she knows what to do. </p>

<p>Relax (from Colorado where pot is legal) and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>OOS students will just say, “meh… it’s not worth it.” You can argue with me if you wish, but I think I’m right on this</p>

<p>Yea, that’s why Bama’s frosh class is only 53% OOS. Just too many saying, “meh…it’s not worth it.”</p>

<p>:rolleyes:</p>

<p>* I think I’m right on this. *</p>

<p>(don’t bet on it.)</p>

<p>My D will be an OOS freshman in the Fall, for us the fact that she will likely have to move off Campus Fall 2014 does not impact her choice in Colleges at all. In fact she already knows where she wants to live in
2014 and while some have said living off campus can be a burden I don’t see how this is true. With off campus housing you don’t have to worry about closing and opening times during breaks when arranging travel and it is often considerably cheaper.</p>

<p>Well, as far as I’m aware, this housing shortage is a new phenomenon. Please tell me, m2ck, when in the past that almost all rising juniors in honors housing have been denied housing. I would like to know the years and how many students were affected.</p>

<p>I can’t think of any other school that we looked at that offered guaranteed housing after freshman year…I am sure there are some that do, but I don’t really think it’s the norm. Most schools just can’t house that many students.</p>

<p>Of course, most schools don’t have the amazing suites that UA has - so kids typically want to move off campus as soon as they can. On-campus housing becomes less of an issue.</p>

<p>Well, as far as I’m aware, this housing shortage is a new phenomenon.</p>

<p>Ha! no.</p>

<p>years ago, when my older son was a junior, Bama didn’t even have enough housing for the NMFs, Bama had to quickly contract with The Bluff and assign NMFs there. The non-NMF juniors didn’t even have a chance at housing.</p>

<p>“as far as I’m aware” does not equal facts</p>

<p>Look, I’m really not complaining here. I don’t have standing to complain, as my kid has paid-for honors housing for 4 years. I know about the 53% of OOS students (my kid is one of them). But a healthy majority of those kids come from GA, MS, TN and other southern states within driving distance. They aren’t the ones who have to get on a plane and fly thousands of miles and find a ride from the Birmingham airport. </p>

<p>I’ll be willing to make a bet with any of you. I predict that the number of OOS students NOT from a neighboring state will drop precipitously over the next two years. Possibly as much as a third. And feel free to shoot all the snide remarks at me that you wish… we can come back here in 2 years and if I’m wrong, I’ll acknowledge that I was wrong. But if I am right, you will be forced to admit that housing (and housing scholarships) was THE major factor in this.</p>

<p>Take the bet, mc2k. Friendly wager.</p>

<p>I’m out. I have a job. Later.</p>

<p>I have to agree with Slippy on this (armor on, bracing for assault). As an out-of-state parent of 2 accepted NMF students, the change in housing scholarship PLUS the shortage of housing is a rather large negative. The loss of the money creates parity with other full tuition offers, but even more concerning is that after first year the Honors community will inevitably disperse. For such a large University, we saw Honors housing as a way to maintain almost an Honors Living/Learning community, something offered at merit tuition competitors such as Miami (OH), Pittsburgh, and others. While this one factor (2?) is not necessarily a deal-breaker, denying its impact based on current OOS numbers does indeed seem premature by at least a year.</p>

<p>I still don’t see why it’s assumed that a rising junior will not get housing. If they register intent the moment it goes online, are they still going to be shut out?</p>

<p>i think the biggest housing suck is the requirement that freshmen live on campus. maybe it IS a good thing, but i can assure you that there are plenty of freshmen living on campus that do NOT want to. yes, of course, it is a good thing for freshman to live on campus, but the truth is a lot do NOT want to be living in the dorms.</p>

<p>maybe they keep that requirement to ensure that the dorms remain full. </p>

<p>most schools of this size do NOT require dorm living for freshmen. it has been that way for years, and students seem to be handling it just fine.</p>

<p>i am not sure overall OOS enrollment will go down because of this issue, but i imagine that NMF enrollment might.</p>

<p>not being able to live on campus in years 2 - 4 is probably not a deal breaker for most people. i think the problem is with the uncertainty of it all.</p>

<p>Chardo, the re-contracting is already done. It appears no rising junior or senior, without housing scholarship, is able to stay on campus. Only some rising sophomores were offered housing for next year.</p>

<p>Chardo, I think that will depend on the effect that Presidential II and the change in the NMF package has on supply and demand. For this year, the answer would be no. Rising sophs have priority to recontract and not all of them we able to. Having said that, I am aware that rising sophs who were placed on the wait list to recontract have been getting emails saying they are not eligible. Of course, there is no way for us to know how deep into the list Housing has gone.</p>

<p>My S was one of those rising sophomores who got in, along with his best friends (future roommates). Didn’t realize it was this bad for anyone older.</p>

<p>NMF enrollment does little to affect demand. it is 200 - 250 out of around 10000 beds, a very small percentage.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Remember that is per year. While this year is a record amount, if you multiplied it by four (assuming the same number for Fresh, Sophs, etc) it would be 1000 which is 10% of housing. Thus the change in the package, which will either reduce NMF enrollment or NMF on campus living, or both, will effect that portion of housing over the next 4 years. It is unlikely that in 3 years, NMFs will make up 10% of housing, which they might have if no NMF package changes had been made (if I understand the numbers correctly).</p>

<p>Chardo, no rising junior without a housing scholarship was able to recontract for 2013-2014. I am assuming that even with the addition of the new dorm, since not even all of rising sophomores were able to recontract this year, my non- scholarship son will be off campus as a junior.</p>

<p>As an out-of-state parent of 2 accepted NMF students, the change in housing scholarship PLUS the shortage of housing is a rather large negative. The loss of the money creates parity with other full tuition offers,</p>

<p>I agree that the change in the NMF scholarship will effect enrollment of future NMFs. The new offer, while not exactly the same as “full tuition” offers, is not as appealing as 4 years of housing. I’m estimating that the new NMF offer, beyond the full tuition, is worth an extra $16k (one year honors housing, stipend, study abroad and iPad.)</p>

<p>Chardo, no rising junior without a housing scholarship was able to recontract for 2013-2014. I am assuming that even with the addition of the new dorm, since not even all of rising sophomores were able to recontract this year, my non- scholarship son will be off campus as a junior.</p>

<p>it’s hard to know once the second Presidential bldg is opened in 2014. That’s another 1000 beds. Since those are the pricier dorms, not all rising sophs that want housing will want the super-suites. I would guess that those only wanting the standard doubles would have more trouble in later years.</p>

<p>I don’t know how many beds are being added to the Greek houses, but those are another source for students and those aren’t counted as “on campus” housing.</p>

<p>FWIW, ever since my son moved from his on-campus dorm (Ridgecrest West) to off-campus housing (a 4-bedroom apartment at East Edge), his food bill has decreased significantly (no meal plan, no resorting to restaurants/fast food) and his diet has improved immeasurably. He’s closer to the Rec Center and the Aquatic Center (and its weight room), so he works out daily (with an equally committed friend) and has put on 15 pounds of muscle this semester.</p>

<p>Though most of his friends are scattered throughout Tuscaloosa in off-campus housing, it’s had zero impact on his very social life. He and his friends have plenty of gathering places and have no difficulty communicating with one another and organizing.</p>

<p>His apartment is farther from class than his dorm was, but he continues to walk most of the time and considers that a plus since he’s exercising. Parking at his complex is easier than the dorm and he is always able to park within steps of his front door. (He didn’t have a car his first two years, but we were able to help him purchase one with the money we saved as a result of his housing scholarship during his freshman year–he’s responsible for his car insurance, which he pays from his summer job earnings). It’s also easier for his girlfriend (who attends another university) to visit on weekends. ;)</p>

<p>He never has to worry about dorm closures between semesters or during spring break. </p>

<p>As an upper division student he’s frequently involved in challenging group projects with bright, motivated peers, so he’s never lost a sense of being part of a stimulating intellectual community.</p>

<p>One of his apartment mates was a stranger to him when he moved in. Now he has a new friend.</p>

<p>My son was blessed with the NMF package that involved four years of housing. I agree that offering one year of housing in the current NMF package will be a deal breaker to some. But keep in mind that the package as it’s now structured offers free inflation-proof OOS tuition for four years (up to 160 credit hours!), $1k per year that essentially covers the cost of books, a summer/study abroad stipend, and an iPad. If all we, as parents, had to cover for the fabulous education and experience our son is receiving at Bama was three years of housing, four years of food and transportation (and trust me, nobody pays more for transportation than us, given that we’re 4,000 miles away), it would still be an unbelievable bargain that we’d snap up in a heartbeat, knowing what we know about UA, its Honors College (and the perks that come with it), its generous AP allowance, and the quality of the academic/social/recreational opportunities that the school affords.</p>

<p>Is UA perfect? Hardly. Is it right for everyone? Of course not. Could our son be having any better college experience? According to him, no.</p>

<p>great post, bob, as usual.</p>

<p>i will chime in to say that my second daughter goes to another school. a school where she could not live in the dorms. she is a freshman. she lives in apartment and is doing just fine.</p>

<p>having to live off campus in not really that awful, especially if there are shuttles to help with transport. i suppose it could be tough for those that don’t have a car, but frankly, i don’t even know of a college kid without a car, so maybe i just can’t relate.</p>