Ivy or Free Ride

Actually, Harvard+English or French works :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
But the subject isnā€™t indicative of the job. Thatā€™s where career centers, alumni network, connections, social skills/social capital all come into play.

4 Likes

This is a broad statement. My research minded kid loves being alone in the lab but also wants to go to Spain for spring break with friends. The social pieceā€”bonding and building connectionsā€”is just as important as academics. If the budget is stretched too thin, it can be a struggle to afford the extras.

5 Likes

Yeah ā€¦ but I remember graduating as a CS major with 5+ offers and watching my ILR peers desperately trying to get a job ā€¦

1 Like

Spring break in Spain is nice and cool and great butā€¦ :wink: not necessary. I mean if Pitt means Spring break abroad every year, cool, as is a Habitat for Humanity Spring Breakā€¦ but that wouldnā€™t be my #1 criterion.
(I spent all my Spring Breaks at friendsā€™ and survived just fine. Some spent their Spring Breaks working two jobs so I thought myself lucky.)
Want v. Need. Only OPā€™s can know what his list of priorities would be.

3 Likes

The only reason I say in this instance that I wouldnā€™t take money into account is because OP says they had discussed paying for these school before the free rides.

I gave my son a budget of how much we can pay and I told him not to feel obligated to choose the cheapest option he has.

4 Likes

Exactlyā€¦if he didnā€™t win these free rides which we had no idea he would be chosen to compete for, there would be no question he would be choosing one of these Ivyā€™s.

2 Likes

Congrats to your son and I wish him the best. These decisions are certainly not easy!

2 Likes

Thank you:)

1 Like

Greek life, spring break trips, shopping sprees?

Talk about moving the goal posts. I was a ā€œscholarship kidā€ back in the day (when thatā€™s how kids with aid were described) and I can assure you, I felt zero envy for my classmates who ate in restaurants even though they were on a full meal plan, went ā€œclubbingā€ on weekends (drinking age was 18 at the time), and went on glamorous trips for every vacation. I remember freshman year trying to figure out if I could organize my shifts at my old HS job back home during Christmas vacation to give me three days to visit a new college friend (taking Amtrak). It worked, we spent the time at her house baking with her mom and playing cards with her dad. It came up once- that a bunch of kids in our dorm were in Puerto Rico-- we laughed, and went back to what we were doing.

Iā€™m not sure why parents feel their kids should never have to learn to say no, never have to learn that some things are beyond their budget. Turning down a pricey school because you canā€™t afford it is a perfectly legitimate family decision. Turning down a pricey school which you CAN afford, but then canā€™t afford frat fees, luxurious travel, shopping sprees- Huh? You and your kid canā€™t identify your priorities (getting an education) and then stick to that???

OP- Iā€™m sure youā€™ll make a great decision, but I would not worry about your kid not being able to afford the bells and whistles at whichever college he attends. There will always be someone with more money, someone with less (and someone thinner, prettier, with nicer shoes) and thatā€™s life.

9 Likes

Iā€™m a recent Pitt grad who took a near-full scholarship (just tuition), earned top grades, have Pitt friends who are currently attending top graduate programs (Ivy+ PHDs, Top Med schools, Ivy Masters, T14 Law), and work in a very prestigious job myself. I think Pitt is excellent. Iā€™m an avowed Pitt partisanā€“Iā€™d go so far as to say that students who pick PennState, UDel, Temple, VaTech, JMU, or any of the big southern public schools over Pitt are shortchanging themselves. Youā€™ll never hear me say that any top student will not be served well at Pitt. Itā€™s the safety school closest in experience to a top college. But the Ivies, and specifically Yale, are a whole different ballgame. The opportunities your child will have there, and the firms that will chase them, exceed those at Pitt by a vast margin. I still endorse Pitt, and think your child will succeed there, but Pitt and Yale just arenā€™t substitutes. Iā€™m happy to answer any questions.

20 Likes

I am confused about something, and again, itā€™s none of my business and the OP does not owe me an answer. I wish this family the best with this difficult decision.

It seems that this student will be paying back $60,000 in loans (by himself) if he attends an Ivy League school. This will be over $500 a month once he graduates. Will he spread out the payments beyond 10 years? If he goes on for his PhD he can hold off on these payments, but the interest will still accrue.

I donā€™t think the question here comes down to attending an affordable Ivy League school versus a free ride at Pitt.

I think the question comes down to this: Does the student want a free ride to Pitt, or is he comfortable paying back $500 + per month once he graduates? Keep in mind that if he is a research assistant, he will have a low starting salary.

Having to pay $500 or more per month can seriously impact plans after graduation. On the other hand, is an Ivy worth it? It depends on the financial health of this family, which is none of my business. Some families can help, while others canā€™t.

Wishing them well as they decide!

1 Like

We will help with what we can beyond the 20,000 we are giving him. I am sure we will be able to help more just canā€™t promise him an exact number. I need him to know what he may be responsible for because I donā€™t know what the future holds.

1 Like

I understand completely, really. Whatever he decides, I have no doubt that he will succeed.

2 Likes

Much tougher road to IB from Fordham even though itā€™s in NYC.

2 Likes

Yes. Know people who did that from Pitt and itā€™s the same way. If you want high finance or MBB consulting, you really need to go to the Ivy.

2 Likes

The ā€œperhapsā€ is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

My kids both came in under the COA. If you donā€™t have the money to spend you donā€™t spend it. They took advantage of the ā€˜freeā€™ (already paid for with the student fees) events on their campuses, are not clothes horses, and didnā€™t go on spring break trips. Both were in sororities.

One was an athlete so most of her socializing was with her teammates. Most were on school meal plans so took advantage of the school pizza (could be delivered to dorm rooms or off campus), most clothing was provided, spring break was spent playing the sport.

Now she (not me) is paying the price as all those sorority sisters and teammates are getting married and she has to pay to attend, for the clothing, and for the gift. Other daughter is also in a wedding this summer and being my bargain hunting daughter, she scored her dress for $9.99.

5 Likes

Itā€™s tougher but not $80k tougher. I watch many students from non-Ivies, non-elite schools break into IB every year. And I see Ivy students strike out every year. A driven student can break in without going $80k in debt.

1 Like

This isnā€™t to the OP, but there is a very big difference between W&L and Charleston. IMO, as or bigger than the monetary difference. And American isnā€™t worth enough more for paying extra. In your case, Iā€™d say the choice is between W&L and USC.

2 Likes

It could work.

Or it may not.