Jack Smith: a case study in college selection

Apologies @momofboiler1 saw your post after my latest one. Heard and understood. :wink:

Of course. However, there isn’t much we can do to help students navigate the corporate world of bigots and racists. We can be honest with them about the advice they seek out in these forums. Telling kids they have identical career options graduating from Missouri as they do from UPenn isn’t honest.

6 Likes

Nor about people who use SAT/ACT scores in hiring decisions…going to be tough in a test optional world where many aren’t even bothering with the tests anymore.

For certain jobs, sure. But, for some people the opportunities might be similar coming from these schools , which obviously we can’t sort through on CC. For some kids I would absolutely recommend Missouri over Penn, starting with some potential journalists, pre-meds, and pre-vets, but again, I would know said students much better than I know any on CC.

6 Likes

The “But” isn’t necessary. If there is a 17 year old student with wisdom beyond their years who has a zero percent chance of changing majors, I am with you on Mizzou.

My point is this, there is a cadre of consistent posters on this site who go after and (subtly) attack kids who want a prestigious school. Those posters sincerely believe the most prestigious schools don’t open doors unique to them. They know not what they speak.

2 Likes

I understand what you are saying.

Data show that going to prestigious schools does help underprivileged/FGLI/URM students unlock greater opportunities than they may have had elsewhere. The data do not show the same for students from affluent backgrounds (which is most students at highly rejective colleges).

13 Likes

I wish CC hadn’t done away with emojis, I have so many to give this post:

:100: :point_up_2:t4: :partying_face: :star_struck: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

You’re right. I take it back.

I was actually speaking to my ignorance and didn’t mean to make it a comment about the school.

3 Likes

Dale & Krueger would agree with you. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Would he ask what their SAT was in an interview? Seems unreasonable.

He is but one data point though.

My son had the opportunity to do his MS in ME at Stanford. It would have cost him an extra year and about $100k, not including lost wage versus staying at Cal Poly. I pitched the “is it worth it” question to the engineering forum. Surprisingly, the results were mixed. Head to head, cost no difference, several posters had worked for multiple companies over their careers that had conflicting opinions. Some wanted Stanford grads, but some companies wanted Cal Poly grads.

Needless to say, he stayed at CP and subsequently has had a wonderful career.

Long story short, one opinion…is one opinion. There isn’t a firm consensus.

6 Likes

That is my point. The 2nd post in this thread said, “undergrad prestige is not the determinate in grad school admission or success in life.” This isn’t always correct and posters don’t need to tell students that chasing prestige is unnecessary.

Let’s look at the statement you challenge: “undergrad prestige is not the determinate in grad school admission or success in life.” That is a true statement. It doesn’t mean prestige doesn’t sometimes help. But undergrad prestige does not guarantee elite grad school acceptance or success in life. To say it does is quite ridiculous and sad if you believe that.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Unfortunately, there are posters on this forum that not only don’t believe that, but will counsel families to go into debt for prestige. It boggles the mind.

6 Likes

I was asked my LSAT in an interview. By a judge. It wasn’t for a prestigious clerkship, just one at a county courthouse. And she was a minority at a time when many judges were white men.

I was stunned and didn’t know what to do except spit out my score. I believe she also asked me how old I was, and then commented “you don’t look that old.” (I was 23)

Wow - isn’t asking age discriminatory?

(deleted)

Considering age is, but it isn’t illegal to ask. Most companies don’t ask because they don’t want to prove they didn’t consider it. Most people/companies can figure it out within a few years if they try. This was long before internet but I’m sure my graduation dates were on my resume.

Age discrimination in the US is illegal in employment if applied against those who are age 40 or older, although some state and local jurisdictions make age discrimination illegal in a greater range of situations.

Of course, some employers want to put as much distance between themselves and any hint (i.e. lawsuit risk) of illegal discrimination, so they do not want their employees to ask any age-related questions or any other questions that could possibly hint at any kind of illegal discrimination.

1 Like

Mine were also on my resume too.

Where did I say that?

My point is that there are some doors only opened by certain prestigious universities. To suggest otherwise is dishonest.