JD/MPH: Is it worth it?

Hi everyone,

I recently graduated cum laude from San Diego State with a 3.51 cumulative GPA with a B.S. in Public Health and Political Science (double major, not double degree). I’m scheduled to take the LSAT in June but have gotten between 168-172 fairly consistently on practice tests in timed environments with minimal studying. I currently run an international nonprofit, work for the County of San Diego, and have received the most prestigious award SDSU offers, the Zahn Spirit of Innovation Prize. I am also enrolled in UCSD’s accelerated paralegal program that will be ending in September. I’m looking to focus on international human rights law with the JD and global health and health policy with the MPH. I feel like these two would pair extremely well, given how involved human rights are with these public health fields. The WHO, CDC, UN, NGOs, Congress, and other governmental organizations would be my ideal employers.

That being said, is the joint degree worth it and would getting the MPH at George Washington help my chances at getting into GW’s Law School? I’m considering doing the online 12-mo MPH this fall and starting law in fall 2019. Thoughts? Recommendations?

GW Law is one of the best law schools in the country; though, I would really gravitate towards GULC with those stats. . GULC is ranked a few spots higher and has more prestige, a bigger alumni network and access to McDonough School of Business. But really, I would say a joint degree at YLS and YPH are the best places to get your MPH/JD. Yale Law School is the best law school country and certainly the most difficult to get into; however, a 170 LSAT is a phenomenal score so I would definitely apply. You never know…

Also, you don’t want to think too much about your practice tests score so much as what you’re learning about the test during your review process. The best of the best test takers don’t really mind their PT scores too much; rather, the best just have an incredibly ability to numb themselves to PT scores and objectively and retrospectively review their selection process. I have a friend who used to get excited about her pt scores when she was starting out with the LSAT but got completely grilled the first time she sat for it; one year later she scored a 179 and earned admission into YLS.