Job location after UA

^ lol re: Boeing

Campus recruiting is overrated nowadays. All job applications are done on the company’s website, even through campus recruiting. Initial interviews are by phone or Skype, and they bring you in to the company for final interviews.

As for where UA grads go, I’ll give my son’s experience. He had engineering internships in New York and Maryland. He interviewed for jobs in Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Arizona, Texas, Missouri, and Alabama. He had 5 offers from major aerospace and defense companies. He is now a Boeing engineer in St. Louis.

Best source of info, that I’ve found on where alumni work, is LinkedIn. Search for the University of Alabama and then select the Alumni tab.

Not every Alumni is in LinkedIn, but the sample size is significant (127K). You can see where they live, where they work, and what they do. You can also select different criteria.

The top 10 locations:

Birmingham, Alabama Area 20,974
Tuscaloosa, Alabama Area 19,944
Greater Atlanta Area 11,245
Huntsville, Alabama Area 5,200
Mobile, Alabama Area 4,393
Greater Nashville Area, TN 3,557
Montgomery, Alabama Area 3,024
Washington D.C. Metro Area 2,667
Dallas/Fort Worth Area 2,632
Greater New York City Area 2,626

Now, lets look at recent graduates (part of the new OOS strategy) from 2006 to 2016, that are working in Engineering. We get a total of 2,815 alumni that fit our criteria.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama Area 520
Birmingham, Alabama Area 403
Huntsville, Alabama Area 214
Greater Atlanta Area 202
Mobile, Alabama Area 104
Houston, Texas Area 65
Dallas/Fort Worth Area 62
Greater Nashville Area, TN 58
Montgomery, Alabama Area 50
San Francisco Bay Area 50
Washington D.C. Metro Area 40
Greater New York City Area 38
Greater Denver Area 36
(roughly, 1/2 are in Alabama, the other 1/2 are employed out of state)

The TOP employers:
Southern Company 70
Alabama Department of Transportation 30
Boeing 28
General Motors 27
Center For Advanced Public Safety 26
AT&T 25
Lockheed Martin 25
US Army 24
Hargrove Engineers + Constructors 16
The Home Depot 15
Georgia-Pacific LLC 15
Northrop Grumman Corporation 14
United States Air Force 14
ADTRAN 14
Dynetics, Inc. 13
US Navy 12
Schlumberger 12
Hewlett Packard Enterprise 11
Mercedes-Benz USA 11

Note that not everyone working in “Engineering” has an engineering degree. Also, folks with engineering degree’s could be working in research, operations, marketing, etc.

Any way! it’s a fun tool to play around with. It’s also fun to look at the profiles and see how their careers have played out… :-B

https://■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/edu/alumni?id=17740&trk=edu-up-nav-menu-alumni

EDIT: 96 UA alumni are associated with Microsoft:

https://■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■/edu/alumni?id=17740&facets=CC.1035&keyword=&dateType=attended&startYear=&endYear=&incNoDates=true&start=0&count=10&filters=off&trk=edu-up-nav-menu-alumni

Yes, LinkedIn is a great research tool. Thanks, @Gator88NE, for doing all that work for Bama families.

I had to chuckle about your clarification about not everyone in engineering having an engineering degree. I have a good friend who works for Lockheed Martin and he was shocked (and didn’t believe me until he looked her up on Wikipedia), that LM CEO Marillyn Hewson earned both her degrees in the Culverhouse College of Commerce and Business Administration. :smiley:

Another LinkedIn tip, if you’re close to graduation and very interested in working for a specific company, you can oftentimes contact someone through their LinkedIn page. I wouldn’t hesitate to contact a Bama alumnus if you’re trying to make connections. Just be respectful. The worst that can happen is that they ignore you.