Journalism kid needs help picking journalism schools

<p>Wow, Penn's Journalism school is named after my neighbor. Crazy.</p>

<p>In fact, medill has renamed its programs IMC for integrated marketing communications. it may be the best in that area in the nation. the other great grad programs include both annenberg west at southern cal, annenberg east at penn (though more theoretical), columbia, cal, stanford.</p>

<p>as for georgia, i have known that "bad hire" as dean for many, many years. it will take years to recover and with bad facilities, a second tier place prior, and other poor moves it is not moving up anytime soon. a better bet in that region easily would be florida, north carolina or even tennessee.</p>

<p>USC is definitely a top journalism program and best on the west coast for sure. The price tag is high but USC also gave me one of the BEST financial aid packages of all the schools I applied too. USC has a LOT of money to give out.</p>

<p>for graduate studies, Columbia</p>

<p>Does anybody know anything about New York University's undergraduate journalism program? Specifically, I'm interested in broadcast journalism. I don't know much about their program besides what I've read on their website, but I find myself drawn to the school because it's in NYC, which is teeming with stories and the like.</p>

<p>Opinions? Comments? </p>

<p>Also, what are some other strong journalism/all around schools in the north east? (Besides Syracuse.)</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>Why does EVERYONE seem to want to go into Journalism???</p>

<p>I have always had a knack for the Journalism/media production field, but what is everyone aiming for when they go into journalism? Do they want to be on camera journalists? That would only be a small percentage of people that seem to go into this field.</p>

<p>I have heard that it is very hard to get jobs with a journalism major.</p>

<p>^No kidding? From where?</p>

<p>It doesn't seem too hard to get a journalism job, especially if you've been involved in internships. I mean, I've never met anybody who has gone through journalism school and failed to find a job. At Syracuse, the placement rate for a job IN YOUR FIELD of journalism is 98%. </p>

<p>People with journalism degrees go on to work for papers, for magazines, to do PR for major corporations, to produce, to be news anchors, to write the scripts for the news anchors...there's a ton of professions in the field.</p>

<p>I hear it's kinda cutthroat, though. Basically you start low on the rungs and work your way up. For gosh sakes, I'm in highschool and already have a job secured for me when I get back from college at a local paper I interned at. There's so many printed publications, the possibilities are endless. Would the pay be good? Doubtful...but if you're skilled as either a writer or are a people person, you'll work your way up to a place where you can live comfortably. And if you're both, the job opps will be boundless. IMHO.</p>

<p>I want to go into journalism because number one, I'm good at it. Someone here once posted that anyone with a brain could write a newspaper article, but that just isn't true. You obviously have to have some talent in writing, the ability to tell a story, make it interesting, make it accessible.</p>

<p>Second and most importantly, it interests me. Meeting new people, telling their stories. It's not your typical job.</p>

<p>I've dipped in all kinds of journalism - photo, broadcast, and print. I've written scripts, edited video, taken photos for the yearbook, but my heart is in newspapers.</p>

<p>It's not hard to find a job with a journalism major. I'm a teacher's pet of a local university professor, and I'm not even in college. He helps me land internships, writes me letters of rec, and got me two jobs at two different papers. Sometimes it's about connections, and sometimes its about determination. Some people are happy going to college and coming back to work for the hometown newspaper and never leave. That's not the path I want to follow. I want to go to the city, rake in bylines at big magazines and papers. That's everyone's initial dream when they go into journalism, but only a few want it enough to fight for it.</p>

<p>In conclusion, why WOULDN'T someone want to go into journalism? Hah.</p>

<p>since when does EVERYONE want to major in journalism, chitown?
on most college campuses the most popular major is business, not journalism.</p>

<p>but journ is a fun career. it's true you start low in pay and a vast majority never see anything close to the bucks the major television anchors make. but you are in the middle of things.</p>

<p>and how about them bears?</p>

<p>I am a Mizzou alum from California. I left SoCal to go to Missouri, simply because of the J-school, and I can simply say that, besides marrying my wife, it was the best decision I ever made.</p>

<p>Mizzou's J-school is focused on hands-on learning. You can be a real reporter at a real daily newspaper. You can help produce TV news. Your can go on-air on the radio. There is nothing that can prepare you for a career in journalism like that hands-on experience. When I graduated, not a single interviewer asked me what my GPA was or if I had any recommendations from professors. They asked, "what have you written?" Thanks to Mizzou I had hundreds of articles and was able to pick the best ones to share with potential employers.</p>

<p>I worked on the sports side, so I got to travel across the country with the Mizzou basketball team – an experience that I will never forget.</p>

<p>While other schools teach you from a book, Mizzou gives you real-world experience. Instead of interviewing classmates in mock press conferences, I was standing next to reporters from some of the nation's top newspapers and TV stations, doing the interviews myself. Sure, it was a little scary, but it made me a much, much better reporter.</p>

<p>As for Columbia itself, it was a great place to go to school. Coming from California I had never lived through the change of seasons, so that was fun. But there are plenty of outdoor activities and a great little downtown area. I found the people to be very down-to-earth and basically fun.</p>

<p>I'd encourage anyone to attend Mizzou. If you have any questions, please email me <a href="mailto:gmaleman@aol.com">gmaleman@aol.com</a>. I'm no longer in journalism (I started a PR company after I left reporting), but I still rely on my Mizzou education every day!</p>

<p>just to back up your comments during my watch the students i worked with went to the washington post, newsday, ESPN, the st. louis post dispatch, the chicago tribune, and the miami herald. i wasn't good enough to write mizzou basketball so i got wrestling, which also was lots of fun. got a job with the cincinnati enquirer and later became managing editor of sports digest magazine. the mizzou connections are like gold.</p>

<p>Yay! Only more reasons to love Mizzou.</p>

<p>Now only if I can get in........ :-(</p>

<p>I think you will find that all top-notch journalism schools have the same approach that Missouri has. The exception would be schools like NYU or Boston without major sports programs to follow around, but Northwestern, Mizzou and Syracuse will all offer great real-world opportunities to their undergrad journalism students.</p>

<p>Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I'm not sure I understand Cuse's post about NYU journalism (good? bad?) and what do others say?</p>

<p>I read somewhere that it is important that the department is recognized by the
Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications…does anybody know the extent of importance on this?</p>

<p>Wow! I didn’t realize this was such an old thread. But I’m going to jump in and suggest a school that i don’t think anyone here has mentioned: university of alabama.</p>

<p>I, myself, want to go into broadcasting, and i was AMAZED when I visited. they, like missouri, have a local nbc affiliate on campus, so the students are constantly interacting with professionals not associated with the university and it is so easy to get an internship.</p>

<p>Also, they’re very generous with scholarships for out of state students. For example, last year a 3.8 (weighted) GPA and a 32 ACT got you full tuition automatically.</p>

<p>what about print journalism? and again regard my previous q…</p>

<p>i guess i didn’t look at how old this was either! hah</p>

<p>There are some schools which are better for print. I heard Mizzou is great with broadcast and same with Syracuse. IU is known for print journalism and so is NYU and USC. Note- Northwestern will make you study both print and broadcast.</p>

<p>At Kansas, journalism education is very reputable. A good understanding of theories is combined with a wide range of choices of practice. Great school paper too for journalism students to get works published. Definitely a place to consider.</p>

<p>I was thinking about journalism or PR at USC. Does Mizzou have a good PR program? These posts on here praisng Mizzou got me thinking. lol</p>