Journalism Major=Unsafe?

<p>@ SeveenteenWords.</p>

<p>Thank you for your post. It has helped me to think a bit more clearly ablut my goals.</p>

<p>@jpickels</p>

<p>Thanks for your post as well!
Yah, I think I need to create a niche for myself at all costs.
I will end up doing a double major (it seems daunting to me right now…).
I’ll end up doing education (which is something that I would like to do), poli-sci (because I like it) or law (because my parents like it). So either way i’ll do a double major.</p>

<p>I know what the best J-schools are (I’ve been dreaming of them since I was like in 7th grade. ^__^)
But I have one slightly off topic question, i’ve been asking this on the schools page but nobody seems to know the answer, has anyone been in Northeastern University’s Journalism program? Is it any good? As of right now it’s my first choice. I would apply to better J-schools but i’m stuck in the MA zone.</p>

<p>Internships and work experience to build a portfolio are key for success in any type of journalism these days. Volunteer as a stringer for the local paper, become an intern at the local tv or radio station even if you don’t get college credit, work for your school’s media outlets. Don’t discount the college PR office also as a way to get experience and do some networking.</p>

<p>^
The local paper told me I was to young even though I got rec’s from teachers and my counselor.</p>

<p>My school refuses to allow us to do school newspapers. I used to be in charge of it…but they decided that they did not want students working on the paper any longer because it’s meant for the principals to work on, it’s one of the things they get paid to do. So that’s off the list of stuff I can do. But internships I can do.</p>

<p>But you last thing about PR offices? What do you mean? Like college newspapers?</p>

<p>Once you get to college, there should be a reputable independent student newspaper - virtually every college and university in the country has one. You don’t have to be a journalism major to write for them, they’re essentially always looking for writers, photographers, paginators, Web designers, etc. You won’t get paid much, but it beats working for free.</p>

<p>Colleges have internal public relations shops, in which paid student jobs are often available.</p>

<p>Oh, and DO NOT “volunteer” as a stringer. If you’re a stringer for a professional newspaper, you should get paid. Again, it wouldn’t be much, but it’s important to do your work for pay.</p>

<p>Public Relations (may be called University Relations at your college - the high school probably doesn’t have one of these). I know journalists sneer at PR as selling out, but my students who have done PR internships get great experience writing articles, sometimes doing photo/video, and they also end up with lots of contacts in the local media.</p>

<p>I’m a Junior Journalism major who loves it. I’m confident that it’ll give me a wonderful career path</p>

<p>^
Really?</p>

<p>Are you doing a double major, just journalism?</p>

<p>Are you doing internships while in college?</p>

<p>I’m very curious.</p>

<p>And thnak you to all they responded. You all helped me out a lot ^__^</p>

<p>If you plan to go through law, just make sure you’re absolutely sure you know what you’re doing. My law professor advised the pre-law students in my class so that they won’t be working for free. It’s rough for lawyers nowadays.</p>

<p>^
Thanks for the advice.</p>

<p>I’m not so sure about law.
I do not really even want to do it.</p>

<p>I just need to find something else to double major in.</p>