JUNIOR standing as a Freshman

<p>OK, so my son is coming in with 36 ap credits, 3 CLEP credits, and 36-39 community college credits. So that is a total of 75ish credits. Is it likely that he will not be able to use all of them, or do the AP credits not count in the whole 50% transfer policy?</p>

<p>Or might he be able to use the extras towards a second degree or minor?</p>

<p>What is the breakdown of the credits? </p>

<p>Are these all lower division?</p>

<p>UA accepted all of son’s credits except for one three hour course. I think it was a Constitutional Law course…not sure why it wasn’t accepted…we didn’t ask, wasn’t a big deal. </p>

<p>His Degree works says, “Degree Progress - Requirements 78% and Credits 68%”. Son did graduate with his AA…not sure if this affects what coursework they accept or not.</p>

<p>Crimson, my son will have AS in math at the end of the year as well, if all goes as planned! </p>

<p>M2CK…all of the credits are AP (lower level) and CC (so lower level as well). The only things that may be upper level at UA are the math courses he is taking at CC. Calc 3, Linear Algebra, and Discrete math. I think everything else is pretty straight forward as far as lower level and has transferability. The only issue is the amount of them.
And If he needs to repeat a math course or two, it probably will not kill him. He will just have a good base for it!
And the 3 clep credits he does not care about, took that test to get out of a stupid HS requirement and open his schedule up for an AP.</p>

<p>Oh, here is the breakdown:
AP:
CR- Course</p>

<p>6-US History
8-Calc BC
5-Comp Science A
6- Eng Comp
8- Physics B
6-World History</p>

<p>CC:
3- elem. statistics
3-Health
6-economics
3-creative writing (or other soph level eng)
3-sociology
6-elem spanish
4- calc 3
4-linear algebra
3- discrete or num computation course</p>

<p>Clep
3-info systems and computer applications</p>

<p>Classes we know he can not use are AP Literature (UA looks like they only give credit for one AP Eng class), and AP Stats- had to retake in CC, and will not get credit for both AP and CC.</p>

<p>vlines, what is your son’s intended major?</p>

<p>The only math course your son took that is upper division at UA is discrete math (MATH 300). Because of this, UA might only grant elective credit for that course and list it on his UA transcript as MATH 197 Discrete Math. The other courses should transfer quite easily, though I would contact the college of his intended major.</p>

<p>Should he decide to take summer courses during his time at UA, he will need to take them at an institution that grants bachelor’s degrees regardless if they’re lower or upper division courses. I ran into this over the summer where a local CC offered the differential equations course I needed to take (MATH 238 at UA), but the credit wouldn’t have transferred as I already reached the limit on community college credits. Instead, I took the course at a 4-year university in a different state and it transferred without issue.</p>

<p>Odd fact of the day: Georgia Perimeter College places ads in UA’s student newspaper, The Crimson White, advertising inexpensive summer courses that will transfer to UA.</p>

<p>Thanks Seatide. His intended major is computer science with double major in Math, and he wants to get his masters in CS in the 4 years like you are doing with your major. Any advice regarding that plan? Is it a logistical nightmare? Or just occasionally inconvenient? </p>

<p>And thanks for the advice about 4 year college courses in the summer. We have a number of colleges around here that he might be able to sign up for classes if he chooses or needs to. I was worried about the Discrete, since it is a 300 level course at UA. And his elem statistics course will probably be an elective, since the UA required stats course is a 400 level. At least he will have a good base going into those courses!</p>

<p>And am I reading correctly that UA only accepts one of the AP english classes (lit OR lang) for english credit?</p>

<p>Yes, on the AP English credit. D1 took both AP English classes & both tests, but got credit for “only” one. Didn’t really bother us, as she would have taken the 2nd class anyway and everybody takes the AP tests here. D2 will do the same. It’s not always about the college credits ;)</p>

<p>Agreed RobD, and thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to make sure I understood correctly.</p>

<p>*Thanks Seatide. His intended major is computer science with double major in Math, and he wants to get his masters in CS in the 4 years like you are doing with your major. Any advice regarding that plan? Is it a logistical nightmare? Or just occasionally inconvenient? </p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Since your son has a lot of credits already, this shouldn’t be an issue. For others, doing the A&S pre-reqs can be hard for a Col of Eng’g student, but for your son that won’t be an issue… </p>

<p>Your son will probably have to take a Fine Arts class, but there are Honors College classes that will take care of that A&S req’t…and those are popular.</p>

<p>Your son will be inducted into Phi Beta Kappa quite early…especially for someone in Engineering.</p>

<p>Thanks M2CK. I have seen you mention the Phi Beta Kappa before. Where can I find more info on this? </p>

<p>On the CS curriculum, it looks like they have given the option of humanaties/Lang/FA. My son will probably choose language, and continue his Spanish. Unless he HAS to do a fine arts. Then I hope he can find something that he won’t complain about too much! He is also going to have to do one more natural science elective, which I am sure he will enjoy. I don’t think he has to have a lab for that one, so he can choose from a number of different options that have not been available to him before.</p>

<p>Unless he HAS to do a fine arts.</p>

<p>If he’s going to double major and the second major is in A&S, then he has to ALSO do those req’ts…and that includes a Fine Arts.</p>

<p>Phi Beta Kappa at UA</p>

<p>University of Alabama
Dr. Stephen Arnold Borrelli
Department of Political Science
PO Box 870213; 307 Ten Hoor Bldg
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0001</p>

<p><a href=“mailto:sborrell@bama.ua.edu”>sborrell@bama.ua.edu</a></p>

<p>The Alabama link on the PBK website is not working for some reason. </p>

<p>To be invited, you have to have at least 90 credits in A&S. I don’t know the GPA req’ts, but probably 3.8+ or so.</p>

<p>{Sigh} we have so much to learn about this process!! </p>

<p>Thanks for everyone’s assistance with never ending questions.</p>

<p>One other matter for those with lots of AP credits who are planning to pursue degrees with many required courses to consider is how to fit in the Honors College requirements. We are finding that having obtained AP credit for most of the core requirements is making it somewhat difficult for my daughter to fit in the Honors requirements. Her major (music) requires 141 total hours for graduation – 93 hours of music courses (none of which are offered at the honors level);16 hours of Italian, French and German (of which only Italian offers honors level courses at the required levels); and 32 hours of University core courses not already included in the music core (of which she only needed math, one Lit course and one SB course after all her AP credit). </p>

<p>She cannot count any of the Honors College writing courses towards her degree because the music core has two required music specific 300 writing courses. She also cannot count the Honors College Fine Arts classes toward her degree because the music core includes a music major specific class that satisfies that requirement as well. The honors one hour seminars are interesting, but tend to be offered mostly during time she is in her required ensemble rehearsals ( 2 - 6 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday – for which she gets a grand total of two credits!). </p>

<p>She will take an honors Lit course, an honors SB, and the one honors FL course that she can take. She will also need to do at least one honors by contract and will try to work in a one hour honors seminar each semester. </p>

<p>It should all work out – but the point that should be taken away from this post is that students with lots of AP credits and demanding degree plans need to chart out at the beginning how they are going to check all the required boxes.</p>

<p>Thanks payinh4college. More good info to know. The more info upfront, the less problems in the end (I hope).</p>

<p>My son was able to get Honors credit for his REU that he did this summer. </p>

<p>I agree it can be more difficult if you come in with lots of AP credits. Thankfully, the scholarship pays up to 20 credits per semester, so you can do some minimester Honors courses as well.</p>

<p>vlines, If UA considered the introductory statistics course as having a direct UA equivalent, it would likely transfer as ST 260.</p>

<p>I highly recommend doing the University Scholars program and getting a bachelor’s and master’s degree at the same time. If it is a popular degree plan, there is generally a set degree plan as many graduate courses are only offered once a year. I ran into an issue where the courses (a mix of undergraduate and graduate courses) I wanted to take would have me in class from 7:30 AM to 7:45 PM on Mondays and Wednesdays, but I was able to avoid that by taking other required courses that met later in the day.</p>

<p>The downside of coming in with lots of transfer credit is that it is harder to fulfill honors requirements. Unlike many schools, UA’s Honors Program is actually easier for advanced students to complete because it isn’t a lock-step program that has students choosing from a limited set of courses over two years. While I did consider leaving UHP because I thought that I couldn’t complete the requirements, I’ve been able to take advantage of some exceptions that will make it possible for me to finish the UHP requirements this semester. Graduate courses are considered to be honors courses, so a student doing the University Scholars program will complete the 12 honors credits that don’t have to be from UH courses. For the 6 required UH credits, I did Alabama Action, took 2 [1-credit] common book experience courses and took one of the IHP courses. Some may argue that I didn’t get the “full honors experience,” but I disagree. I view UA’s Honors College as more of a facilitating organization for top students that allows them to choose their level of involvement. I may not spend much time in Nott Hall (the home of the Honors College), but I’m definitely having the full honors experience through the program in terms of challenging courses, highly intelligent classmates, and fun extracurricular activities. The honors dorms and priority registration are also excellent benefits, not to mention being able to pay $41 per season and have prime endzone seats (the HCA’s block seating) to watch the Crimson Tide go for its 14th National Championship.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>* For the 6 required UH credits, I did Alabama Action, took 2 [1-credit] common book experience courses and took one of the IHP courses. Some may argue that I didn’t get the “full honors experience,”*</p>

<p>Hey, you do what you can…you had DE credits, right?</p>

<p>And, who knows, maybe you’ll be able to squeeze in something else at some point or take advantage of other non-academic aspects of the honors college.</p>

<p>Sea_tide…(off topic) when/where are the Open Mic Nights that the HC hosts?</p>

<p>I came to UA with quite a few DE credits, so I knew in advance that it would take a lot of special planning to accomplish everything I wanted to do and have been successful, for the most part, at doing so.</p>

<p>Open Mic nights are usually once or twice a month. For some reason, I’m not currently on the HCA e-mail list, so I don’t have any specific dates for the upcoming Open Mic nights.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Oh pooh!! lol</p>

<p>Why don’t they have a calendar on the HCA webpage???</p>

<p>What is that app for on the webpage?</p>