JUNIOR standing as a Freshman

<p>DE Credits? What are those? </p>

<p>And thanks for the info again Seatide. What is involved in being the the university scholars program? Is it an application or invitation? If my son was interested in CBHP, would that be too much with Univeristy Scholars? </p>

<p>Thanks, and sorry for so many questions again!</p>

<p>Seatide, when did you have to take the GRE?</p>

<p>DE stands for dual enrolled.</p>

<p>Thank you!! I need a CC dictionary when I come on this site! LOL</p>

<p>I apologize for the confusion regarding DE. I usually spell out dual enrollment, but was trying to use the same abbreviations as m2ck for reasons of continuity.</p>

<p>The College of Engineering doesn’t appear to require GRE/GMAT (the latter is primarily for business school applicants) scores for its University Scholars programs. I took the GRE in mid July, which was fine with my department, but it is usually recommended to take the GRE/GMAT the semester before one begins the University Scholars program.</p>

<p>Applying for University Scholars depends on the department in question. My “invitation” to the program was sent before I started attending UA, but I got another one by going to the department chair and saying I was interested in the program and met the basic requirements (3.7 in my department; 3.3 for most of engineering programs). After filling out the application, getting a high enough score on the GRE, and writing a statement of purpose, I was admitted. Unlike most grad school applications, the statement of purpose was more of a tradition/formality rather than being the most important requirement.</p>

<p>It is important to note that students can do University Scholars outside of their undergrad major should they so choose. </p>

<p>Among his many activities and accomplishments, momreads’s son is a triple major, University Scholar, and is in CBHP, so it is definitely possible. Your son will notice that many top students are involved in multiple programs. Your son is coming in with enough credits to make membership in multiple programs possible, but will still have a lot of work to do and may have to take summer courses in order to accomplish everything he wants to do. UA is very good about allowing students to take on as much as they want, but at the same time students need to be careful about taking on too much. For example, a first semester freshman could technically use their scholarship to cover 20 credits (15 is standard; over 18 is an overload) of upper level courses in a difficult major, work 10 hours per week, and pledge a fraternity, but I haven’t met many people who would recommend trying such a combination.</p>

<p>Thank you for your detailed response, as usual! No problem with the abreviation. I am still learning, and not shy about asking when I do not know. I did review the info on UA website about University Scholars, and I think I sort of understand how it works. </p>

<p>I am going to strongly suggest to my son that he start an email dialogue with the dean of the CS department. I will suggest that he discuss his interest, his incoming credits, share his “resume”, and get advice that way. Even though we have not visited, he is pretty set on going to UA, and has told everyone that he is going to go to UA. And he was REALLY psyched when you sent your message about earning your masters in 4 years with all of the college courses you were entering with.</p>

<p>But he is also interested in CBHP. I don’t want him to be overwhelmed, I want him to have a good social experience as well as a good education. So he may have to choose between the two. But I think that we definitely need to learn more about each of those programs for him to be able to choose! If he were to choose not to do CBHP, he could choose the thesis track for his MS, and gain research experience that way too. </p>

<p>I am glad to hear that you received the invitation to participate in University Scholars prior to attending UA, I was wondering how that worked. When I read the info on UA website, it talked about submitting application as a sophomore, and that would be very early in his course of study. It also said that you had to complete 61 credits prior to applying, and my son is coming in with more than that many credits. His HS and CC GPA in those courses will more than meet the GPA requirement. </p>

<p>Again, thank you for all of your advice and guidance. If anyone else has info on the University Scholars program, I would appreciate it if you would share.</p>