Just smile and nod...smile and nod

<p>

</p>

<p>For a long time I got that same comment from my family.</p>

<p>Mom: Why can’t you go to [insert random state school here] it’s closer and you’ll get in-state tuition.
Me: Because they don’t have any program that deals with my major/career choice.
Mom: Oh…so you can’t go there?</p>

<p>I’m not someone who would choose to go to a school just because of the name, price, location, etc. If they don’t have a program that I like I’m not interested!</p>

<p><<
4 years ago when Son had chosen Duke (in the midst of a very public sports/sex related drama), I can’t tell you how many people responded with “Is going to play lacrosse? (snicker, snicker)”</p>

<p>I got tired of that, so I started responding, “No, he’s going to be a stripper.” >></p>

<p>Mafool, this and QM’s “Bryn Mawr = lesbian vortex” story are in hot contention for top prize.</p>

<p>Oh, another recent comment:</p>

<p>“I’ve heard that was a party school”</p>

<p>Which is funny because that’s the exact opposite of what I’ve read, lol, but you never know…</p>

<p>@Dinmor - I don’t know, I really love Lirazel’s (#427)
“Girl: So where are you going to college, Lirazel?
Me: Harvard.
Girl: But you’re totally stupid. You ask too many questions in class.”</p>

<p>If they say, “So you couldn’t get into Ivy League?” respond with, “Wait, so you did? Which one? Which college did you go to?”</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes, for D1. </p>

<p>Some schools that D1 visited awhile ago initially fell off her list. They’re now re-emerging onto her rising senior list. Why? Because when she initially mentioned these schools to fellow classmates a year or two ago, there was a widespread reaction of “Why would you be interested in going somewhere unimpressive like THAT?” As time went by, D1 realized that hey, she really liked these places. Given that kind of reaction, better for her to just apply where she wants and give the decoy ultra-safety school name when asked about apps.</p>

<p>I agree and you know what-he may well go there and get the General Ed requirements done. I meant it more in jest because around here as in many areas this is viewed as yet another competition among some parents and by telling them CCRI it will stop the inquiries (they may think we have financial troubles which we don’t). You have no idea how many times people in this town have questioned how we could have left our son in GASP! the public school when he could have done so much better.</p>

<p>I didn’t mean that to be taken as a dig at community colleges-they are very good options for a lot of people.</p>

<p>“I think that is really obnoxious advice on the part of an adult and I wish you wouldn’t.”</p>

<p>OK so obviously my attempt at humor was lost on you.</p>

<p>None of the people this would be aimed at would ever lower themselves to consider CCRI. We have many friends who started their careers at CCRI and continued on to 4 year schools and ultimately became CPA’s just like my husband and I did. My husband went to the “right” school and had no trouble getting a job. I went to the “wrong” school and it took me a year to even get an interview at a CPA firm-but I had the last laugh when I did finally get a job and passed the CPA exam before he did.</p>

<p>I thought this was meant to be a funny thread-I guess I was wrong.</p>

<p>I love this thread. My daughter is only a junior and is already getting the “party school” comments for some schools on her list. </p>

<p>The most astonishing comment I heard last year was at a party, where a mother was answering questions about where her son and son’s friend were attending. She answered that her son was attending midwest flagship U, and that her son’s friend was going to Stanford. Then she went on to comment, accentuating son’s friend’s Hispanic last name (changed here to protect the innocent)</p>

<p>“GON-ZAAAH-LEZ got into Stanford. Get it? Gonzalez?”</p>

<p>Hard to smile and nod at that one.</p>

<p>That person would get a dirty look and a shake of the head from me.</p>

<p>I’m Mormon, so it would be assumed I would be going to BYU. Everyone at my church thought so. I’m going to Agnes Scott, an all women’s college. I’m the gasp factor at my church.</p>

<p>“Where are you going?”
“Agnes Scott”
“<em>GASP</em> You’re not going to BYU???”
It’s annoying.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I also have a junior. Although she is my second to go through the process, my son looked at a totally different type of school, so I feel like I’m starting all over again. We are investigating quite a few schools that I don’t know a lot about. I am anxious to hear whatever anyone has to say about the schools on the list - good, bad, or even exagerated reputation. I might learn something I don’t already know. There are parents out there who know that certain schools are, indeed, party schools, from their own kids’ experience. Not all comments should be dismissed as made out of ignorance.</p>

<p>I feel much more inclined to comment on a school to which a junior is considering applying that a school to which a senior has been admitted.</p>

<p>Attending Agnes Scott College. </p>

<p>Me: It’s a women’s college, grandma.
Grandma: Not that there’s anything wrong with that. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Multiple People: That’s a private school, isn’t it? How are you going to pay? (Note: this is an EXTREMELY RUDE QUESTION. Every possible answer - need-based financial aid = I’m poor; merit scholarships = I’m bragging; family money = I’m wealthy and therefore socially dangerous - is awkward in some way. </p>

<p>And of course…</p>

<p>Multiple People: Where’s that?</p>

<p>^^ I get that response too!!! hahaha</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>By check.</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>But now, be honest. Would you really prefer that people ACT like they know where Agnes Scott (or any other school) is when they really don’t? Wouldn’t you prefer that they ask, so that they have an idea of where you’ll be?</p>

<p>Pay by credit card if they let you and you can accumulate rewards points.</p>

<p>I have many clients who take advantage of this-just make sure you pay off the credit card before you start getting whacked for interest charges.</p>

<p>Here is an idea for folks who don’t feel comfortable telling someone where their kids are applying.</p>

<p>First, request your child to tell you not to tell anyone where s/he is applying. This way you can use the following method honestly.</p>

<p>Jane Doe: “What schools did she apply to?”
You: “I’m sorry, she asked me not to tell anyone. But, I can tell you she applied to a few safeties, a few matches and some reaches. We are quite happy with her choices.”</p>

<p>If you smell something snarky about Jane Doe, then try this:</p>

<p>You: “I’m sorry, she asked me not to tell just anyone. But, I can tell you she applied to a few great safeties, a few exciting matches and some unbelievable reaches. We are having a blast just thinking about these schools. How about yours?”</p>

<p>My daughter recently turned down offers from UC Berkeley and UCLA to go to Pomona College, which is actually much harder to get into than the other two. Lots of people have never heard of Pomona, and they give a noncomittal “oh” in response. Then I have to explain how good Pomona is, and it sounds like I’m bragging, but I’m really not, and…you get the the picture.</p>

<p>Two for one:</p>

<p>My HS senior has chosen Iowa State, over 12 other midwest schools that she was accepted to, including Marquette, SLU and our state school. When she tells ppl she is going to Iowa State they ask in amazement if she is going to be a farmer!! We live in Chicago - I feel the need to tout Iowa State’s top Engineering program even though she is going to be majoring in Athletic Training, just so ppl understand that it is a strong school. Actually a strong school that gave her ALOT of scholarship money. Ughhh</p>

<p>My Sophomore has wanted to join the Coast Guard Acad. since she was 10. When she tells people that they look at me and say “oh joining the service? College isn’t for everyone!” Ughhhhh I have afeeling that this is just starting.</p>

<p>Smile and nod, smile and nod</p>