just wondering, will 19 cr hrs kill you?

<p>so, i went to doc, and before i know it, i have 19 hours. 2 of those hours are orchestra, and another 2 are seminar/lecture things. so... maybe it really isn't that bad? when i look at my list of courses it doesn't seem bad, but when i look at the number 19, it just messes with my mind.</p>

<p>what other classes are you taking?</p>

<p>Can I join in and ask will 20 hours kill you? Honors Mech E but son wanted a foreign language that brought the total to 20. He's use to the studying, but will he have any time to do things he enjoys?</p>

<p>CK61188...my son is the same. You are doing the orchestra for fun and he's doing the foreign language. Our advisor seemed to think he should take a class "for fun" but when I look at the numbers, it freaks ME out. Son doesn't seem real concerned.</p>

<p>now that we have brought up the topic I require anybody and everybody's assistance who has knowledge with regard to the american educational system. I am an american citizen who is residing abroad [ as in India] and I have no knowledge as to the educational system in ithe US. I applied to another university in Indiana and was asked to reapply as a transfer student . The minimum requirements however , require me to complete 26 semester hours of transferable college level work at another institute[ in this case - purdue ] . How difficult is it to complete 26 such Hours... What is the timeline I should perciev - i.e - will i be able to complete it in 1 semester or 2 ..... What apart from this should i do to enhance my chances...</p>

<p>I'm kind of confused by your situation, but you ask: What is the timeline I should perciev - i.e - will i be able to complete it in 1 semester or 2
And you should certainly be able to complete that in two. Twelve credits is the bare minimum per semester you are allowed to take and be considered a full time student. Or perhaps you would want to divide it up like 18 credit hours one semester and the other 8 hours in a summer session. I personally don't know of anyone who has completed 26 credit hours in ONE semester. Does this help?</p>

<p>i think the safest thing would be to spread it over 2 semesters, Nash. I guess if you take easier classes you could squeeze it into one, but i wouldn't suggest that. I guess taking harder classes, and less hours per semester but making good grades in those classes would look better than taking a bunch of easy classes just so that you can transfer. </p>

<p>for my 19 hours, i'm in honors engineering, but the honors courses i'm taking are in subjects i'm strong in (calc and chem), so i'm not too worried about those. i was forced into taking honors engineering computer tools because i'm in the HELC, so i'm worried about that because i don't know very much about computers. i'm taking an extra WIEP seminar because i'm really undecided when it comes to a specific major, and my advisor heavily suggested it. then orchestra, com, and whatnot jacks up my hours to 19. looking at my classes, there's only one that i'm really worried about. but when i was discussing it with my sister, she thought i was insane because she couldn't handle 18 hours at a cc. i think that's where i started to worry, because she's extremely smart. then again, she's also extremely lazy. i think i'll be okay. next semester, depending on whether or not i take a CGT course, i could have 20. so i guess i should get used to seeming insane.</p>

<p>CK6118: The honors engineering 116H computing/etc. is the one that my son was warned about. Advisor and others said even with 106 (without the H) you do a TON of work. She did point out that at least with the H you are with other kids that want to work hard/do well, etc. My son knows a guy that just finished that class and said it's a ton of work. I think that is his main concern (that class).</p>

<p>Thnx all for the help .... guess the best way to find out bout this is to try it out yourself.....</p>

<p>i was in engr 106 and it is a lot of work. its a lot of (IMO) very easy and pointless work, but it is tedious and takes a long time. engr 116 from what i've heard is less busywork and more 'thinking' type material. i had 16 credit hours my first sem (i dropped cgt) and had 20 cred hours 2nd sem (took honors linear alg. & diff-eq). it really on the student taking the courses. my roomate as i've stated in previous forums is took 19 hours and is a CS major. he got a 4.00 last sem and probably spent more time studying for non-major courses than for major courses. several of my friends and I also achieve gpa's above 3.5 w/out too many sleepless nights, but some people i've met are not so fortunate. i would recommend taking it easy 1st sem to get a feel for things and later on adding more courses if you feel you can handle it. for general purposes if you have some decent ap credit coming in there should be no reason to overstack your class schedule. you dont gain anything for graduating a half a year early if your grades aren't up to par.</p>

<p>by the way. i didn't take any honors classes other than MA 271 first sem and MA 351 2nd sem. my diff-eq class was not honors. everything else i took, chem, engr, was all standard curriculum.</p>

<p>I think that 19 - 20 credit hours is going to be really hard for freshman year. orchestra and foreign language classes are going to be a lot of work and so will freshman engineering classes. ENGR 106 is lots and lots of work. I would suggest waiting until after at least first semester before taking classes just for fun. In Freshman engineering, if you decide to take classes for fun you really shouldn't plan on having a lot of down time for yourself if you are planning on doing well.</p>

<p>19 won't kill you if you are prepared to work. I took 21 one semester and am still among the living. 21 hours was really only one more course than the 17 or so credit hours engineers typically took. Do be sure to discuss it with your advisor, though.</p>

<p>Is a foreign language a requirement for engineering students?</p>

<p>i don't think foreign language is a requirement, but in order for it to count towards gened, you have the take 6hrs (2 semesters) of it.</p>

<p>Agree with CK and also some but not all travel abroad programs will ask that you have 4 semesters or the equivalent of college foreign language in order to travel to that country. If travel abroad is important to you, be sure to check the requirements just in case.</p>

<p>foreign language is NOT a requirement for engineers. strangely enough its not a requirement for cs majors.</p>

<p>It is a requirement though for engineers that want to travel through GEARE, that's why I thought I should mention it. There are other travel abroad programs for engineers (and all students) that Don't require foreign language but that one (GEARE) does.</p>