Kaplan NCLEX Review Course

<p>My daughter gradutes from Univ. of Delaware in a few weeks with her BSN. She has registered for the Kaplan NCLEX review course the first week in June. It was not cheap but because of a position she was selected for in Sigma Theta Tau (International Nurses Honor Society) she will get part of the course paid for by the local chapter. Has anyone taken this course? Did you find it useful? Did it help you when you took the exam? Thanks</p>

<p>Mwallenmd: Sorry I cannot give you any first hand experience (yet), but I did speak with an Army ROTC nurse that the Army recently (last year) paid for him to take the Kaplan NCLEX Review Course. He thought it was great and that it helped him pass the NCLEX (first attempt). Good luck to your daughter!</p>

<p>Thanks both of you for your replies, but I had initially posted this thread in early 5/10. My D did take the Kaplan course, found it to be somewhat useful, and passed the NCLEX on her first try in 7/10 with the minimum number of questions required (75). She found the course most helpful in the area of developing critical thinking skills as compared to rote memorization of medical/nursing issues. A lot of the questions on the exam centered around clinical situations were actually often all the answers could be correct but you had to choose the most appropriate one to do first depending on the clinical data presented (these types of questions can really be tough). Again thanks for the input.</p>

<p>Note - there are some alumni associations that offer discounts for kaplan courses for their members.</p>

<p>Mwallenmd: Oooops. Sorry I didn’t see the date of your original post. Thanks for the feedback on Kaplan. Would your daughter take the review course again if she were in the same position?</p>

<p>aglagas:
I asked my D your question after she took the exam and she said “probably”. She did not see the course as the most significant thing that allowed her to pass the exam but did feel it was “helpful”. I’m sorry I can’t give you a more definitive answer. However, I can say that my D is now studying to take the Adult Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN) certification exam (after working over a year on an ICU unit at New York Presbyterian/Cornell Medical Center in NYC) and she just ordered Kaplan’s new Review Book in this area to help her prepare to take this exam. Kaplan does not offer a course in this area (that she is aware of). This would lead me to believe that she has at least some confidence in Kaplan products. Hope this info is helpful.</p>

<p>Thanks for the information Mwallenmd…and good luck to your daughter. I am sure you are very proud…and rightfully so.</p>