Keeping merit scholarship...difficulty?

<p>Well, for those current students...how difficult has the rigor of the classes been (perhaps compared to your high school) and have you found it difficult to keep the GPA necessary to hold on to your merit scholarship?
Have you heard of anyone losing their scholarships?</p>

<p>You need a 3.0, right? Say Freshman year, you do pretty bad, get a 2.8 and lose your scholarship. Then you have a strong sophomore year and get a 3.5. Can you get your scholly back?</p>

<p>They only check in on you after two years. If you have above a 3.0, you keep the scholarship for the rest of your stay at Miami. If you have between a 2.70 and 2.99, you keep it for one more year but must bring it up to a 3.0. If it is below a 2.7 after two years, it goes away for good.</p>

<p>skybax22 notes,"They only check in on you after two years. </p>

<p>Response; I am not sure that this is true. At all the schools that my kids attended, the schools would put scholarship kids on probation if their GPA fell below the required amount even after the first semester. Maybe Miami does it differently, but I doubt it. I would certainly call up the school and ask about their substandard GPA policy for keeping scholarships.</p>

<p>Two years ago my daughter received what was then the Ashe scholarship for 75% of the tuition. The bottom line for all the scholarships at that time was they would check the gpa at the end of the second year. It was exactly as skybax22 describes it. She did not choose Miami, so I can't tell you about the execution.</p>

<p>Skybax has it right.<br>
Scholarship</a> Requirements | University of Miami</p>

<p>
[quote]
Guaranteed Scholarship</p>

<p>First-time freshmen awarded a University of Miami academic scholarship automatically retain their scholarship after their first year of school. The student must maintain a minimum 3.0 CGPA and complete at least 24 University of Miami credit hours during their second academic year to guarantee their scholarship for the remaining two years of undergraduate studies.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>If you receive a scholarship, you really should be able to keep it. UM has one of the most generous renewal policies I've seen.</p>

<p>It's really not difficult to maintain a 3.0 GPA. Just go to class and do your work and you'll be fine.</p>

<p>I've never heard of anyone getting their scholarship removed, so that really shouldn't be an issue. and I went to pretty difficult high school, ranked #3 in the nations by that newsweek annual ranking thing. The work load for me was quite similar, but I took basically all APs and IB classes my last 2 years. the comm school is generally regarded as pretty easy. Obviously the pre-med track and tough majors require good time management and lots or work, but its definitely do-able. and the business school just got significantly harder (that's what I'm in). I got a 3.8 last semester, and I work 20 hours a week at a part time job. I just have to stay up some nights, rarely go out on thursdays like a lot of kids do, and manage my time well. But I definitely have a social life and a decent amount of free time. but most kids definitely regard college as decently harder than high school</p>