Kiplinger Article with Comments from Alumni, Current Students and Parents

<p>Top</a> 100 Best Values in Public Colleges - Kiplinger.com</p>

<p>Yep, very interesting. :)</p>

<p>Reinforces my decision to lean towards Geneseo further more.</p>

<p>August 22, 2008 </p>

<p>U.S. News & World Report Names SUNY Geneseo Among 70 Schools in the Country Making the Most Promising and Innovative Changes</p>

<hr>

<p>In General Rankings, College Again Places No. 2 in the North</p>

<p>GENESEO, N. Y. – The State University of New York at Geneseo is on a new list included in U.S. News & World Report magazine’s 2009 rankings of the country’s top colleges and universities. </p>

<p>The college is one of 70 in the nation on the magazine’s list of “Up-and-Coming Schools,” singled out for “promising and innovative changes in academics, faculty, students, campus or facilities.” The “Up-and-Coming” category places Geneseo tied for seventh on the list of “Universities—Master’s” for the Northern Region.</p>

<p>In the general rankings, the college is again ranked second among the “Top Public Universities—Master’s” list for the Northern Region and 11th among the “Best Universities—Master’s” list for the same region. The college’s position in the general rankings is identical to last year’s rankings.</p>

<p>“Being on the magazine’s new ‘Up-and-Coming’ list is an indicator of the great strides Geneseo continues to make in advancing our mission,” says Christopher C. Dahl, president of SUNY Geneseo. “Our peers are recognizing Geneseo’s strong academic foundation and are increasingly aware that the college offers an outstanding liberal arts education in a public setting. These results corroborate other quantitative and qualitative data that surface frequently about a Geneseo education."</p>

<p>The “Up-and-Coming” rankings are based on data gathered from a peer assessment survey in spring 2008. All of this year’s rankings will be published Aug. 22 online at US</a> News & World Report - Breaking News, World News, Business News, and America's Best Colleges - USNews.com and in the Sept. 1-8 edition of U.S. News & World Report, which will be on newsstands Aug. 25.</p>

<p>U.S. News & World Report gathers a wide range of data to develop its annual rankings. The magazine relies on generally accepted indicators of academic excellence in such categories as peer assessment, graduation and retention rates, student selectivity, faculty resources and alumni giving rate.</p>

<p>“The consistency of Geneseo’s position in the rankings over the years is a strong testament to the college’s academic strength,” says Bill Caren, associate vice president for enrollment services at Geneseo. “Even though we advise caution in placing too much emphasis on college rankings, we know students and parents consult them and we are delighted to make such a strong showing every year.”</p>

<p>Geneseo will have 1,050 entering freshmen when classes start Monday (Aug. 25). The students were admitted from an applicant pool of 10,589. The mean combined SAT score for entering students is 1326 (critical reading + math), an increase from last year’s average of 1313. Both the mean combined ACT score and mean high school average remain steady from last year at 29 and 93, respectively.</p>

<p>“We have a superb and very loyal faculty who are dedicated to our students and this reflects in these rankings,” says Geneseo Provost Kate Conway-Turner. “The student experience here is second to none with the wide variety of available opportunities. Geneseo’s stock will only continue to rise.”</p>

<p>Buffalo News
Updated: 03/23/09 08:43 AM
FOCUS:SUNY ENROLLMENT</p>

<p>Economy driving record number of applicants to SUNY schools
State schools see sharp increase in application rates, admission standards</p>

<p>With their relatively low costs and solid academic reputations, State University of New York campuses appear poised to enroll many students who in better times would have gone to more expensive private schools. </p>

<p>And since many of those students newly attracted to SUNY have high-flying academic credentials, state schools have been prompted to raise their admission standards. </p>

<p>SUNY received nearly 300,000 applications to its 64 state campuses this year, its largest number ever. </p>

<p>Applications are up nearly 12 percent at Alfred State College, 11 percent at Binghamton University, more than 8 percent at Buffalo State College, 7 percent at the University at Buffalo and as much as 5 percent at Geneseo and Fredonia state colleges. </p>

<p>There are nearly 12 applicants for every available 2009-10 slot at Geneseo State College, and the average SAT score of admitted freshmen is 1352 out of a possible 1600. </p>

<p>“Clearly, this is the best year in the college’s history,” said William Caren, associate vice president for enrollment services. “We’re dramatically more selective. Hundreds and hundreds who would have been admitted last year are on the waiting list this year.”</p>

<p>Thanks alot for all these informations; it's surely interesting once again.</p>

<p>Sure I come across this stuff all of the time. I guess this is a good place to post it. I remember when I was trying to figure out where I wanted to go to school as an undergrad. Forums like this are really great.</p>

<p>I just wanted to discuss a few things about Geneseo. Not being admitted this fall, but rather wait listed and offered spring admission, I have no bitter feelings towards Geneseo as one would expect to have in my position. Here a few reasons why Geneseo is truly a class act based on my observations.</p>

<p>1). The admissions office is organized, friendly and professional. Decisions were mailed out at the appropriate time and the letters on all fronts were classy (acceptance, wait list and rejection).</p>

<p>2). Having dealt with the admissions office, I can honestly say that the entire staff is courteous and makes one feel as though he is welcomed.</p>

<p>3).The campus is heading in the right direction. The academics are challenging, the campus landscape is immaculate, and the management of residence halls is exceptional. There are very little "expanded occupancy" rooms compared to other SUNYs and Geneseo is among the minority by offering guaranteed housing to transfers.</p>

<p>4).Geneseo sure knows how to pick the student body as well. For the most part, students are affable, intelligent, outgoing and know how to have fun.</p>

<p>I have been admitted to every school I applied to except for Geneseo and I just recently have made the decision to wait it out and start my studies at Geneseo in the spring. IN the mean time, I will be attending my local CC in the fall. This was a hard decision for me because if you knew me, you would know that I could not wait until I packed up for college in the fall with all my friends. In my opinion, Geneseo is well worth the wait.</p>

<p>I am not writing this to persuade anyone to attend Geneseo. People like different things. But if you are interested in small colleges along with a great price tag, then I strongly urge you to consider Geneseo.</p>