L&C, Reed, Oberlin, Bard or Hampshire?

<p>D leaving Chicago after 14 years a small private school to pursue interests in music, stagecraft, creative writing and effecting positive change in the world. Accomplished violinist with recording engineer experience looking for a student life that is both academically challenging and supportive of individual initiatives. Conservatory at Oberlin has a strong appeal as does the many student led initiatives but we have yet to visit Portland and wonder about the work/play balance at Reed and L&C (and the music scene...). Hampshire's open curriculum and ability to design you own major seemed appealing but both Bard and Hampshire do not seem on the same level academically.</p>

<p>Just my opinion, L&C has stronger music than Reed. DD1 looked at Reed and really wanted to attend. I was unimpressed with their theater/music programs. DD2 attends L&C and, while I don’t know the specifics on music classes, I am impressed with the music clubs/other activities. DW’s sister attended Oberlin for violin and you just cannot beat that for instruments.</p>

<p>Hopefully someone with experience with Bard chimes in, but I have the impression that it’s very good academically, and I know it has a great music scene, and a great building ([The</a> Richard B. Fisher Center for the Performing Arts at Bard College](<a href=“http://fishercenter.bard.edu/]The”>http://fishercenter.bard.edu/)).</p>

<p>Hampshire is what you make of it. That’s more or less how it’s designed. My <em>relative</em> graduated from Hampshire and published his undergraduate work. He then went to Yale for grad school. And is now internationally recognized for what he does. If you’re focused and self-motivated, Hampshire offers wonderful opportunity to design a program that suits you. If you are not focused and self-motivated, you can get lost. Hampshire is a small school with four other schools’ resources to draw on. You get support plus resources plus freedom to really go to town, if you know where you want to go. It’s in a lovely area, besides. </p>

<p>^ Good if anyone looks for a similar thread in the future but the OP asked this question two years ago.</p>

<p>I think Oberlin and Bard have the most opportunities for a performing arts major.</p>