Laptop Size

<p>First off, Happy New Year!!! I graduate this year and hopefully get into VT haha!!</p>

<p>Anyways... I just wanted to get some opinions on a good screen size (13.3, 14 - 15 in) for a laptop. Is a 14-15in laptop too large or heavy to lug around campus, or is the 13.3 too small to multi-task etc? What are the current student's experiences with laptops? (Also, I am definitely not getting the Fujitsu ones from VT)</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>13.3 is good, 15 is good, 17-inch is probably a bit too large though (I have seen a couple of people with that size though). I’d say go to Best Buy or Walmart or some place with laptops on display and go find what size is good for you. As far as lugging around campus, I feel like weight is more important than size, the real issue with size is that larger laptops have larger screens which often results in lower battery times.</p>

<p>Depends on what kind of bag you’ll be carrying around. Are you going to use a backpack? Or one of those oversized purses that girls carry around looking like they’re about to fall over?</p>

<p>If you have a backpack, get the biggest screen size your backpack will fit IMO. Battery life is definitely something that’s worth the money, too. Anywhere between 15 and 17" is probably good, I’d say a 15 is worth it rather than 17 if you can get a better battery.</p>

<p>Yea I’ll definitely carry a backpack lol… but idk, I really can’t grasp my mind around a 17 or even 15" laptop. I’ve held some at Bestbuy etc, and frankly they are just too bulky. Too much of a hindrance. I’ll look into the battery life, but I am more inclined towards a 14" one… just wanted to know what the majority of engineering kids get. Thanks for the input anyways!</p>

<p>If you’re an engineering major, and even if you’re not, you should definitely consider getting another monitor to dual-screen while you’re in your dorm.</p>

<p>Having another monitor + real keyboard + real mouse to actually get work done makes me far more productive, and I think most would agree.</p>

<p>That’s the exact setup I have at home, but I am not sure if I’ll have enough space at the dorms? Any idea how large the desk is and if a good size monitor (20"+), laptop, keyboard, mouse will fit lol? Plus the books and random stuff that I’ll need to get work done haha.</p>

<p>It’ll fit. I had a 24", 20", computer tower, keyboard, mouse, and a bunch more on my desk. I really didn’t use my laptop much; when I did, I usually had it on some boxes I piled up between my desk and the wall as a psuedo-table.</p>

<p>You probably want LCDs for both, though; CRTs are too deep for the desks.</p>

<p>Consider buying your laptop from the VT bookstore. Walk-in service is included for any reason (you can just be clumsy and drop it and they will fix it or replace it for you). Much easier to deal with than a manufacturer or store service program. I think they even give you a loaner if you need it. Compare prices and include the full warranty/service contract.</p>

<p>15 max imo, 13 preferable.</p>