Lessons I Learned This Year (Parent Version)

<p>Hey, there’s nothing wrong with hands-on parenting. It’s the gold standard in my view. The more responsibility displayed by our kids, the lighter the grip.</p>

<p>With responsibility comes freedom, with freedom comes responsibility. I too have had some kids who took longer than I would have liked to figure this out. The good news is, they did (guess they got sick of the grip). :)</p>

<p>Ouch! My 18yo S is a good kid but he has real challenges with deadlines/due dates and keeping a calendar. He is an adult now and going OOS to Alabama in the fall. I’m trying to get him to take over more of his scheduling but I don’t see him putting appointments on his calendar or responding to email. It’s going to be ticklish next year.</p>

<p>What I’ve learned as a parent of a college student is that college is SOOOO much better than high school. Seriously, I don’t want them to grow up too fast, but I’d pack up the last two in a second and enroll them tomorrow if I could just skip the next two and three years. The oldest has earned many opportunities on campus based on merit that she would never have received in high school. College has been much more of a real life experience and for that I am eternally grateful.</p>

<p>What I have learned is that despite our best plans the bottom line is that our kids have to be able to roll with the punches with/without us (thinking tornado at the end of last year); that parents throughout our country will reach out to help not only their own student but others as well; that this isn’t UAs first rodeo and they make decisions with understanding and care for our kids; that more than one parent sacrificed plane tickets home because of good opportunities that arose for their students to study, travel, work, etc…and that our young adults are growing just as we had hoped for them (so keep rolling!) and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Grade was bumped to a C- after a little groveling by the child and a makeup assignment was allowed to be turned in. Still well below what he should’ve got for the course but at least it’s a passing grade and will be a little improvement to the GPA. </p>

<p>And of course this changes nothing in my original post. He still needs oversight and a kick in the ass on occasion.</p>

<p>^^^Kicking a man when he’s down is sometimes the only way to make him get up.</p>

<p>Too funny malani, but sometimes it is the truth.</p>

<p>Ok, so how do I do this checking on my kid? Are all his homework assignments on his MyBama page? I noticed he hesitated giving me his password, but I plan on telling him that either he gives it to me or I won’t be making deposits in his bank account! He is a terrible procrastinator. His senior project presentation is in 2 weeks and he hasn’t put it together or started to write it up. I won’t take the chance of him losing his scholarship. If my in laws have any comments about my involvement I will have them give me in writing a promise to pay his tuition when he loses it.</p>

<p>There is a link to e-learning on his MyBama account. Most of his courses will be listed on there including the syllabus and his grades on tests, quizzes, and homework. Some Profs will even email reminders to the kids about various projects.</p>

<p>So yeah, I’d tell him to give up his mybama password or tell him to pay his own way. There isn’t anything on there that he needs to keep private or a secret. He can use his regular email address instead of his crimson account if he’s worried about you seeing his emails.</p>

<p>^^^Tough love. I like it.</p>

<p>There’s not really much on myBama for helicopter parenting, either, IIRC. I think parents can make accounts and students can opt to provide certain information to their parents. The scope of the sharing is between the parent and student, obviously.</p>

<p>Blackboard, or WebCT or eLearnring or whatever it’s called these days, is only a tool for professors. Some use it, and some don’t. Some professors have website where assignments are posted and so are luddites where all is done the old-fashioned way, with paper.</p>

<p>Despite the glut of technology, your best bet to keep up with your student’s courses, is asking for a copy of the syllabus for each and every class he or she is taking. Some diligent professors will even have every graded assignment and due date already set at the beginning of the semester and printed on the syllabus.</p>

<p>Whitlo, I’m a teacher, too, and I have a sophomore daughter who has ruined her chances for going where she wants for college. she failed two core classes in the fall because she just disn’t think she had to do the work. She was a gt kid and I let her drop it when she said she was stresssed. Mistake. She has two smart older brothers and she really seems to think she’s not smart too. I guess I just wanted to say I understand. It is so infuriating!</p>

<p>I was searching on the Bama thread for info on when midterm grades are posted. The parent calendar we recieved at BamaBound says the the 100 and 200 level grades are due in on 10/10, but I do not see when they are posted, or when other level classes are posted. Anyone else know? </p>

<p>But I thought that this may be timely for a few other freshman parents right now. Lots of good sage advice in this thread!</p>

<p>I know there is a place on MyBama, though I don’t remember specifically which tab. But it is on the left side of the page :)</p>

<p>I know that there is a place for the grades, I was just wondering when they would be posted.</p>

<p>Teachers of 100 level and 200 level courses are supposed to give a grade by midnight on 10/17/12.<br>
[Midterm</a> Grade Reports Schedule | The Office of the University Registrar - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/services/myfaculty/grade-reporting/midterm-grade-schedule/]Midterm”>http://registrar.ua.edu/services/myfaculty/grade-reporting/midterm-grade-schedule/)</p>

<p>Although the grades could show up sooner than posted. Last year, sometimes the grade didn’t show at all.</p>

<p>The other classes at 300, 400, or more, do not have to give midterm grades.</p>

<p>HTH</p>

<p>The grades section is on the student tab on the left once you scroll down about halfway. Select the term (Spring 2012) and while some midterm grades might be displayed here, click the blue highlighted Midterm (or Final for final grades) and you will see all midterm (or final) grades that have been posted. Note that labs do not post grades as they are reflected in the class grade and that 300/400+ level classes are not required to post midterm grades.</p>

<p>Pssst…Sea_Tide…it is Fall 2012. :)</p>