Letting a freshman take a car to campus, opinions

<p>"“bigs” asking to borrow (psYou can’t tell them no), there will be drinking (even if your student is not a hs social drinker, don’t fool yourself)"</p>

<p>Although this may be true in your family and in others, it is not true for all students. You actually can say no, and every student on campus won’t choose to become a drinker.</p>

<p>I really don’t like generalizations.</p>

<p>I think this is a personal choice for each family. My D took her car and has had no issues. There were no required changes or increases in cost to our insurance. She has not been asked to loan her car, although she would have no difficulty saying no. She has provided rides to friends from time to time. She hasn’t received any parking citations, and she’s found having the car on campus to be useful. It isn’t necessary to have a car on campus, but it is also not a problem having one on campus in our experience. My advice would be to evaluate your student’s level of maturity, needs, and your family’s financial situation before making this decision.</p>

<p>My s is a freshman and we live far away. My first reaction to the car was “no way, I don’t want to worry about you with a car so far away”. My son was fine with that and asked for a bike. His suitemate had a car and offered my son rides to wallmart, target and dinner. My s joined a club that would meet off campus and he did not feel comfortable asking strangers for rides so that club went off the radar. He hates the bus system and perfers to ride his bike rather than take the bus. His phone broke one day and he needed to get to Verizon. No one could give him a lift that night so he rode his bike in the dark to Verizon. He called me from the store because they would not honor the exchange right away. He then had to ride back to the dorm after 8 pm with no phone. I was a reck and that night we decided he could take the car. He doesn’t use it much but it does make things easier. this weekend he will need to go to the storage unit to rent for May and could not do that without a car. It is a personal preference and believe me being 17 hours away if I know he is going somewhere does make it hard to sleep. He has since stopped telling me in advance! My h drove with him and flew back and in May I will fly down and drive back. It is too long of a drive by yourself for us. My advice is see how the first semester goes and take it from there.</p>