Liberal arts colleges: Physics/Astronomy, Japanese, rock climbing

Now that my D22 is off and running at UCLA, my attention is shifting to my DS26. I’m aware that he has miles to go before we get “serious” about where he will go to college, but I very much enjoyed the research process with my daughter so I’m just getting some ideas together based on my son’s interests and strengths at this point.

My DS is STEM oriented and loves physics, chemistry, math. His dream is to work on space projects. He’s a student of history and geography, too. He’s very intrinsically motivated by acquiring knowledge. English is not an interest but he holds his own and is a thoughtful writer. He’s an exceptional illustrator, takes Japanese online and rock climbs competitively (indoor gym). He has an offbeat style, loves fashion, doesn’t often fit into the “copy-paste” (his words) athletic culture at his high school. He is straight but gels a lot with the lgbtq+ community at his school.

He’s also not someone who does what he’s told—his art grade this semester teetered because he refused to complete assignments as given—he embellished, revised and often turned in what he considered to be a “more interesting” assignment. I guess what I’m saying is that he’s not a teacher pleaser and much of my guidance to him has been to convince him to “play the game of school” so that he can enjoy more choices later. He generally does this and has landed great grades this first semester.

So… I want to explore schools that have strong physics and/or astronomy programs, places that will allow him to keep rock climbing easily (club or easy access to a gym), pursuing Japanese (he will want to study abroad there) and that offer an offbeat, smart kid the flexibility and freedom to do things his way. I don’t think he’d be happy in a social environment dominated by sports or Greek life. He also wants cold weather. He hates heat and loves rain and snow.

Some ideas so far:
Carleton, Wesleyan, Vassar, Colorado College, Whitman, Reed, Bard, possibly Swarthmore or Haverford.

Note—this is just about liberal arts college research for now. He will definitely be applying to our in-state options… I think Berkeley, Davis, Santa Cruz, Cal Poly SLO and Humboldt generally fit his interests and vibe, if not weather preferences. And a few privates, I’m sure. That said, I think he’d thrive in a small LAC so I’m looking for feedback on the schools above (especially physics or astronomy program advice and experience) plus any new ideas across the spectrum of reach, target, safety for a kid like this (assume mostly As in a rigorous, AP heavy curriculum at a top public school in CA).

Thanks so much—I’ve loved being a part of this community and the advice we’ve gotten over the last year or so.

2 Likes

Skidmore seems like a possibility. They also have a minor in Japanese.

3 Likes

Physics is not as common a major as some others, so it may be a good idea, especially with smaller colleges, to check what upper level physics and astronomy courses are offered, and at what frequency (minimum once every two years, once per year or every semester is better). The usual upper level physics courses:

• Quantum mechanics (usually 2 semesters).
  • Electromagnetism and optics (usually 2 semesters).
  • Intermediate / advanced mechanics.
  • Statistical and thermal physics.
  • Upper level physics lab.

Of course, electives that include astronomy and astrophysics would be desirable for a student with that interest.

Because Japanese is a relatively difficult language for English speakers to learn, it may be useful to find a college with Japanese language courses up to the eighth semester level. A student who already knows some Japanese may have initial placement more advanced than the first semester course.

1 Like

But note that if he is in 9th grade now, his academic and other preferences may change by the time he gets to selecting colleges.

1 Like

Agree with @ucbalumnus that it’s early (interest and grade wise) - but you might consider Washington & Lee and for less competitive Sewanee (which has four semesters of Japanese).

Colorado College has a minor in Japanese.

U of Arizona for a big school as well as CU Boulder. You didn’t ask big but some big schools have strong physics/astronomy and combining with Japanese will be more difficult.

Good luck. But I think you are - years ahead of even needing to think about this - like two. For real.

3 Likes

I know I’m early. Just enjoying my week off of work thinking about something I enjoy thinking about. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

got it - that’s fair!!!

I mean, I’m addicted :slight_smile:

As he doesn’t like to follow the rules per se - which could bite him in the rear, perhaps there’s colleges that encourage individualism - not just within creating your own major but in actual performance. I know many will say they will but perhaps there’s truly ones out there that folks can recommend.

Not sure this is the right list or if there even is a right list but just food for thought.

Colleges With Innovative Academic Programs | CollegeXpress

2 Likes

As an opinion on selecting schools for astronomy, consider giving additional attention to colleges with relatively dark and natural night skies and accessible observatories, such as, to varying degrees, Williams, Vassar, Haverford, Hamilton, Wesleyan and Amherst.

2 Likes

This is a great point re: upper division physics classes and how far Japanese classes go. So far, DS plans to go all the way to AP level Japanese, so if he wants to minor or keep taking it, he will need advanced offerings.

1 Like

My S23 sounds a lot like yours. Astronomy and LAC is not an easy combo. We did a very thorough search. We ended up thinking only the following worked: Amherst (though advanced Astro would be at UMass Amherst), Swarthmore, Haverford, Wesleyan, Vassar, Reed, Hamilton, Union. He didn’t apply to all of these for various other fit and location reasons but think this was the full list of those that would accommodate a serious study of Astronomy at a high level among LACs. Don’t know about the rock climbing or Japanese.

Not LACs but other great schools for Astro include Berkeley, UCLA, UC Santa Cruz, UW Seattle, CU Boulder (nice rock climbing there), UChicago, Rice, and Northwestern (where my Astro kid is heading!).

Also HYPS and MIT, Cornell, UPenn, Brown, UMich, UWisconsin

3 Likes

Love this! Thank you, and congratulations to your DS on Northwestern!!

Will keep your LAC list on Astronomy for further research, and agree that there are a number of public and private schools that should make up his full list when the time comes. I think Boulder could be awesome—it’s a very popular OOS option for our high school. Meets his climbing and weather requirements too.

1 Like

As I read your post, Reed is the first college which came to mind. I’m glad it’s on your list.

1 Like

Willamette comes to mind for a student with your son’s interests that isn’t into the typical jock culture.

3 Likes

I know that Wesleyan is on your list, but I live nearby Wes so I want to tell you why it’s a great match.

Wesleyan checks all the boxes in the areas that you’re looking for. They are unusual for an LAC in that they offer some PhD programs. And yes, their doctoral programs include physics, math, and chemistry. I’m not implying that he might pursue a master’s or doctorate there, but I am saying that they are are strong in STEM and that he would never run out of advanced courses to take because with permission, he could take courses from their grad school.

Wesleyan also has a major in Astronomy and have their own observatory on campus. In addition, they have a College of East Asian Studies where he could study Japanese including study abroad options, summer, fall, winter, and spring. And Main Street is loaded with Asian restaurants including half a dozen Japanese restaurants. So, he won’t run out of food options.

Furthermore, Wesleyan loves kids who don’t do what they’re told. They’re famous for assembling off beat kids who think for themselves. And they have an official rock climbing club with competitive opportunities and on campus facilities.

9 Likes

Wow! This sounds like a perfect fit—like really perfect. Lots of rain and snow, too, I bet. We will make a point to check it out when we start touring (assuming his interests and grades still align). Not for nothing, he loves “How I met your mother” which also makes Wesleyan a recognizable name to him :rofl:

3 Likes

Given your son’s interests, I would add Middlebury to your list of LACs to consider. Middlebury is renowned for its foreign language departments and has a Japanese Studies department that includes language classes. Japanese Studies | Middlebury College

They seem to have good offerings in astronomy which are part of the physics department, “Courses and student research activities in astronomy are an integral part of the physics program.”

Middlebury’s location between the Green Mountains and the Adirondacks is ideal for outdoors enthusiasts. They do have a climbing club and several other outdoors clubs. Middlebury Outdoor Programs | Middlebury College

4 Likes

Another great fit for your son and easier to get into than Wesleyan is Union College in Upstate New York’s Capital District. It is absolutely one of my favorite LACs but is often overlooked. Probably because Schenectady became somewhat depressed after GE left many years ago and the economy took a hit. But downtown has become revitalized in the past decade as an arts district with live music and all kinds of other good stuff. But what your son will really love about it’s location is its easy access to New York’s 6 million acre Adirondack Park where the mountains will provide endless opportunities for rock climbing and lots of other outdoor activities. And Union does have a rock climbing club.

One of the oldest colleges (1795) in the country, it has great STEM opportunities. For example, been teaching Engineering there since the mid 1800s. They not only have an Astronomy major with their own on campus observatory but they also have an Astrophysics minor. They also have a Japanese major with study abroad opportunities in Japan. They do have fraternities, so you’ll have to evaluate that aspect of campus life for yourself. Students I know who’ve gone there have not found the problems there that I’ve heard of on other campuses.

4 Likes

I totally understand the impulse to look at colleges on the early side, even when college is a ways off.

When doing so, however, I place more emphasis on colleges where admission is more likely. I think it can be problematic when kids focus on the most rejective colleges throughout high school…I feel it can lead to a lot of pressure and potential disappointment if that doesn’t end up being in the cards for them. Thus, with that in mind, here are a few different suggestions:

Lawrence (WI): Strong physics program and offers a major in East Asian studies

Beloit (WI): Offers a Japanese major and has a number of physics majors

St. Olaf (MN): Possibly the largest number of Japanese or physics majors from any college on this list.

U. of Puget Sound (WA): Japanese major and a number of physics majors

Pacific (OR): I don’t know as much about this one, but seems like this school might have programming of interest.

Ursinus (PA )

Kenyon (OH): a bit more selective than the others, but not an extraordinarily rejective school

Kalamazoo (MI)

For a strong student, several of these may end up very competitively priced as well.

6 Likes

Check out Davidson College. Great Physics department as well as robust study abroad.

1 Like

Love this idea—finding less rejective colleges to be excited about would be amazing and well worth some research time. I don’t know much about any of those—though Puget Sound has caught my eye a couple of times.

4 Likes