Liberal arts colleges: Physics/Astronomy, Japanese, rock climbing

That’s a fabulous idea. More schools should do this!

Just a thought on the importance of climbing. Kids think that they’re going away for 4 years. But they’re not. They’re home for more than 3 months in the summer and another month between semesters + another week or 2 at spring break. So, they’re on campus for only 7+ months of the year. In addition, 2-3 months on campus are in winter, which seems like a terrible time of year for climbing? It would be a shame to build a decision around optimum climbing opportunities at the expense of the best academic opportunity when there are plenty of other opportunities throughout the year to climb. I understand that he needs climbing to be part of his life but I wouldn’t think that the college choice has to be built around elite climbing locations.

My son, for example took a summer job in Yellowstone Park which not only allowed him to earn good money but gave him access to a lot of the outdoors activities he loves. So, a summer placement for climbing can be another way to pursue elite opportunities.

6 Likes

OP has indicated that this kid is mainly an indoor sport climber, which is an all year activity (more popular in winter when outdoor rock climbing may be constrained). Some climbing gyms are better than others, and larger towns/cities will generally have better facilities eg Momentum attracts a lot of strong climbers to facilities that no college would provide (https://momentumclimbing.com/). The U knew this and organized classes there as part of its outdoor activities offerings.

I’d also note that climbing was actually a key winter social activity for D during Covid when many on campus facilities weren’t accessible.

2 Likes

Great! I was responding to all of the posts recommending great outdoor climbing locations - like the Gunks in the Northeast. I think their premise was that as a freshman in HS now, his interest will likely evolve over the next 4 years. Of course his interests might completely change over the next 4 years as well.

3 Likes

My DS does climb mostly indoors and it’s a social experience as well as an athletic one. It’s also been tremendous for his mental health. While I don’t see that changing, one thing I’ve learned about this whole thing is never say never.

Regardless, I asked for climbing input and I love all the feedback I’ve gotten on that point. Whether or not it factors strongly into a final list in 3 years remains to be seen. But it will be great to have this list as a way to narrow the scope if climbing continues to be important. I also agree that we wouldn’t choose a school only for climbing—but it would certainly weight the decision.

You’ve all been awesome, entertaining a very forward-looking conversation based on my son’s interests and strengths at 15 :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You may be able to get a sense of college climbing communities from their new-student orientation programs. Hamilton, for example, offers a rock climbing trip to the Adirondacks.

2 Likes

You’ve mentioned Whitman already, just wanted to link to their incredible climbing facility: Climbing Center

It is a huge facility for a small-ish student body. When we toured in October (my D24 is planning to apply there, maybe ED), our tour guide (female, climber, chem major) mentioned that new routes get added weekly. Also very strong in sciences, but I don’t know specifics about physics major. I believe Japanese program strong as well. Beautiful campus that reminded me of SLACs on the east coast but with a laid-back PNW vibe.

9 Likes

Thanks for this. My DS definitely has a PNW vibe (he says he feels like WA is one of his “places”).

Both the Astronomy major and Japanese program look very thoughtful at Whitman. There’s even a Japanese residential house for students who want to speak Japanese and host cultural events.

4 Likes

My daughter feels the same way about the chemistry major and the Spanish language house there. Also, the nice thing about Whitman is it’s a likely admit (imo) for a strong but maybe not “perfect” student, with good merit aid. Although I’m a Wesleyan alum and a fan of many of the top 20-30 ranked SLACs mentioned by others on this thread, they are increasingly challenging to be admitted as an unhooked student.

6 Likes

Agree on Williams, also if applying from large CA private high school, may increase your chances vs. applying from the East Coast.

2 Likes

We will definitely look at Williams, especially if his grades and scores are great. My D’s friend from high school was recruited for softball at Williams and she seems to be having a great experience. She’s a psych major and her social life is dominated by the sports scene but she seems to really like it.

2 Likes

My impression from my son’s experience is that there’s plenty of social life at Williams that doesn’t involve team sports: outdoorsy activities, art events, music and theater performances and just hanging out with friends (a lot of the latter).

The Berkshires are actually a sophisticated playground for New York and Boston residents. in addition to hiking, camping and snow sports, the area offers various arts venues, notably the Clark Museum in Williamstown and MassMoCA in nearby North Adams.

1 Like

and Willamette has a large Japanese program with exchanges at Japanese universities. Physics/Astro are ok.

2 Likes

The President of Willamette is an astrophysicist, fwiw Willamette's 25th President: Biography

5 Likes

As a general consideration, physics tends to represent the more comprehensive and respected major for an undergraduate interested in astronomy/astrophysics. Choosing electives that would lead to an astronomy minor would balance this approach. Students interested in planetary science would benefit from geoscience courses.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.