Limiting College Choices to Free In-State Publics?

NJ previously had a program that gave free tuition at community colleges to students under a certain income level, which had a rather low cut off. The income limits have risen and currently community college is free tuition with an adjusted gross income of $65K and reduced tuition between $65K-$80K.

Last year NJ announced the community college program would be expanded to include a free or reduced price tuition
for the third and fourth year at any NJ public college. It’s called the Garden State Guarantee and it still looks at adjusted gross income solely and disregards assets and EFC’s. Even at the upper limit of $80K tuition should not exceed $7,500 annually.

Meanwhile earlier this year, Rutgers New Brunswick announced a program that would be even more generous, with the adjusted gross income limit up to $100K and tuition no more that $5,000.

Rowan just announced a similar program, but not quite a generous as Rutgers’. It will provide a first and second year of free or reduced tuition, according to the same criteria that the state uses for the free or reduced tuition for the third and fourth year.

Stockton also has a similar program but unlike Rutgers and Rowan, it uses other criteria besides adjusted gross income, maybe the fafsa EFC. I think another state university, perhaps Kean, offers something like that, too.

I have a D20 at Rutgers Camden who has benefited from such a program. We pay a greatly reduced tuition. She wants to be close to home so it works for her.

However, D23 should not go to Rutgers Camden. She is an active kid who runs, rides her bike, and skateboards, and while the campus is safe, it is very small in a rough surrounding area. Not being able to walk or ride freely wouldn’t be good for her mental health; she might very well venture out anyway not appreciating the safety issues.

Rutgers New Brunswick is also not a good fit because of the multiple campuses, the bus system, and the big classes. I went to Rutgers New Brunswick so I understand the challenges of all of that. I’m not completely writing it off but I have serious reservations.

The Rowan deal would be harder to pass on. I love Rowan and I have a D18 who graduated from there and had great opportunities. Rowan still manages to offer the best of a both smaller college and a bigger university with a walkable campus and small classes. Unfortunately, like a lot of local kids, Rowan is too close and too familiar for D23. But she will apply.

In terms of the lure of a free or reduced cost third and forth at another NJ public, it’s even more complicated. It might only be a $15,000 difference over four years because many less selective private schools wind up with a net cost not much more than full price at a NJ public. I feel more comfortable in being flexible with her because she is our last kid and we could make it work.

One way that a free or reduced price in state public college is appealing over a private or OOS public is if a fifth year became necessary. Another is that we wouldn’t have to be concerned about the requirements to keep a merit scholarship.

Like a lot of kids, D23 has had a rocky high school career with the pandemic. She is not high stats. She is a little quirky. Right now, I feel like so would make any sacrifice for her to be in an environment where she can thrive socially and academically. The NJ free college programs are amazing but I’m not convinced any would be great for her.

6 Likes