List of Top, Prestigious Awards

And I don’t mean just for HYP applicants (I don’t fall under that category personally).

just from a perspective based on my own hs

There are about 36 National Merit Finalists at our school (our class population is about 980)
but only 8 National AP Scholars

So, I think Naitonal AP Scholars should be ranked higher!

Plus, question: Where does this list place Siemens Award for Advanced Placement?

i’d say put Cum Laude on there somewhere…there are only 3 chapters in Alabama. and there are no “set requirement” except top 10% of jr class and 20% of sr. class. from there, you have to have flawlesstest scores and grades. our #1 student didnt get in b/c he made a 180-something on his PSAT. only 3 out of 87 kids got it at my school.

ur #1 student had a 180 psat?

if only i went to ur school >>

no he’s just a bad test taker. the 3 students who did get in had 209, 209, and 210

oooooh. my school = good at testing, SUCKS at everything else. makes me mad. i think everyone in top 20 had at least a 220 >.<

haha. to have anything above a 6 I guess trying for anything is comparable to the olympics?

if anyone else thinks its ridiculous feel free to delete my post.
I just wanted to subscribe.

<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/massachusetts-institute-technology/475288-initial-profile-admitted-class.html?highlight=Initial+Profile+of+the+Admitted+Class[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/massachusetts-institute-technology/475288-initial-profile-admitted-class.html?highlight=Initial+Profile+of+the+Admitted+Class&lt;/a&gt;

College Discussion > College Admissions and Search > Colleges and Universities > CC Top Universities > Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Initial Profile of the Admitted Class

This thread provided illuminating insight into MIT’s view of awards. The OP of the above-listed thread posted the following:
The following is part of an email sent to the MIT Educational Council this morning:

"-- The 13,396 applications is the largest we have ever had, representing an 8% increase over last year. Our admit rate of 11.6% is our lowest admit rate ever. Of particular note is our double digit increases in applications from women (12%), under-represented minorities (13%), and international students (12%). The increased depth in our applicant pool led to a particularly strong admitted class.

– We put just over 700 students on the wait list, a slightly larger number than last year, to cover for the unpredictability of the yield this year.

– Our alumni interviewers (Educational Counselors) interviewed over 9,000 applicants.

– We had applications from 138 foreign countries, admitting students from 66 foreign countries, including from Gaza, Malawi, and Swaziland.

– The academic quality of the students is quite strong. Relative to last year, we saw level SAT means, with the math median ticking up 10 points to 780 this year. There was a 30% increase in the number of academic stars. This was due to both improved identification of these students, as well as recruiting more into our applicant pool (22% increase in academic star applicants).

– We increased the number of admitted non-academic stars (athletes, musicians, and artists) by 35%, for the same reasons as noted above for academic stars (62% increase in non-academic star applicants).

Enjoy.

CC editors deleted references to the specific awards of the “academic stars” because they personally identified the admitted students.

what is an academic star? what torture!!

is being national merit commended on the list? I imagine it would be low, but I think it should at least be on there :frowning:

I won 4th in the nation for my National History Day documentary. Wonder where that ranks.

THe poster of the information from MIT said the following in response to the question of what are academic stars"
“I’m not entirely sure, but I think they’re people who have won serious competitions and the like. Think of them as analogous to the star varsity athletes at a D1 powerhouse. The academic stars, as I’ve heard, are sometimes recruited for specific purposes (for example to win the Putnam).”

The Putnam is a college level math prize, corresponding somewhat to the high school Math Olympiad. But it is also interesting to note, for the ccers who have noticed the science bias of the awards being listed, that MIT refers to athletes, musicians and artists as “nonacademic stars” in the memo.

I know one!!! Her name is Sandy Fong. She might actually be going to Beijing Olympics this year. She’s into shooting. For fun she got her face on the cover of Sports Illustrated over spring break back in 2002 for winning an archery tournament. That’s what she does for fun. She got accepted early way back in like February. She’s awesome~! All-state swimmer, trumpet player, ton of clubs, awesome sense of humor, and great GPA.
She’s one of my role models (obviously you couldn’t tell).

she goes to my school

Hello. Sorry to change the topic, I was browsing the beginning of this thread, and DI athlete should <em>NOT</em> be at the 10th (most competitive / “best”) level. There are thousands of D1 athletes in the country, there are only a few ISEF grand prize winners, Presidential Scholars, etc.

^True, but D1 athlete = automatic acceptance at almost any school (as long as you have the academic credentials).

For all of you that think USAMO is at the same level as USABO, USAPho, etc. I feel the need to remind you that USAMO selects a few hundred people from a pool of over 230,000 people, whereas, the other olympiads select a few hundred people from about 2,000 people…I think the discrepancy is obvious…

i think they’re about the same. Math I would expect more people to go for since it is easily accessible, whereas science is not.

Haha, well everyone has the right to their own perspective, but being involved in both math and science olympiads, I personally believe that USAMO is much more difficult to qualify for (the college admissions officers I have spoken to share this belief with me). As far as the accessibility goes, I can’t say much as I can only reference my own experiences, but both types olympiads are equally accessible at my school (not a very competitive school). Statistically speaking, USAMO is about 60 times harder to qualify for than the other science olympiads. Just my two cents though, I am sure many would disagree.

(Also, it does matter what stage you are talking about for these olympiads, as the Math Olympiad goes- AMC 10/12, AIME, USAMO, whereas the others go something like- (First exam varies by olympiad), Quarterfinals, Semifinals, Team, I would put USAMO at about the level of the other Teams.)

Yes, USAMO is obviously more difficult than qualifying for the national level (USACO, USNCO, USABO) However, USAMO is not at the caliber of making team or even qualifying for the camp for the science competitions.